PDA

View Full Version : What the H E double hockey sticks are you thinking, DH?

ladysoapmaker
03-02-2011, 11:00 AM
The other day DH came up to me and said he wants another baby. WHAT? Where did this come from? Why?

We jokingly say that if we had had DD#2 first we would have never had another. And I don't think I'm really joking. She's difficult, the original "do-it-myself" child. She throws temper tantrums at the drop of the hat (She does have a speech delay and I think this is part of that frustration). She won't potty train. (All the other kids were potty trained by this age) I've given up and am not pushing the issue. (to the point I pulled out the cloth diapers again)

We have a 912 sq. ft. house for 6 people. We are crowded and we will not be selling the house anytime soon. (the house next to us sold for $40K less then list). Where are going to put another child? And I'm happy I don't have to share my room with anyone but DH now.

We both have a year left on school and I'm working fulltime. I don't have time to be pregnant.

DH you really need think these things through!

Sorry it's a little long winded I just needed to get it off my chest where DH won't look.

Thanks,
Jen

rin
03-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Oh boy. Superwoman doesn't have anything on you!!! I'm so impressed that you're managing 4 kids and going to school. :cheerleader1:

That's so hard that your DH is feeling the baby itch, and I totally hear you about the "ugh, REALLY?" feeling. My DH started talking about trying for another when our daughter was about 7 months old. I seriously had to wonder what was wrong with him.

(I don't know if this is totally inappropriate to ask right here, but if you don't mind my asking, what are your living space logistics? We've got a 2-bedroom 850 sq foot house which I LOVE & my DH works from home so he needs his own office. He keeps talking about how we'll have to move if we have more kids, but I really think we could make it work here. What's your secret? Do you think you can make it work long-term?)

ladysoapmaker
03-02-2011, 01:00 PM
what are your living space logistics? What's your secret? Do you think you can make it work long-term?)

The basement is partially finished so there are two bedrooms down there (with no egress which worries me but the boys know how to open the windows to get out.) The girls share a bedroom and there is not much room to move in there. I want to get bunk beds for them but I'm not sure what to do with DD#1's bed (it has drawers underneath it, so no dresser).

I will admit the house is very cluttered and I want to take a week to just clean and purge but I know me, I'll find something else to do like sew clothes for the girls or garb for DS#1 since he's growing like a weed or play on the internet or bake up a bunch of goodies.

And I'm no supermom. I wouldn't be able to do this if DH didn't keep the house picked up and do the laundry and go grocery shopping. And that DS#1 helps with that and at least this quarter has taken up the slack with us and has cooked most of the dinners (mainly mac & cheese and prego with meat added and other "bachelor chow").

Jen

jal
03-03-2011, 03:46 PM
The basement is partially finished so there are two bedrooms down there (with no egress which worries me but the boys know how to open the windows to get out.) ...

If the windows are in there bedrooms, then from a building code perspective, that IS egress. If it's a situation that worries you, do some Googling on the term "bedroom egress".

If the basement bedroom meets egress requirements, and the boys can demonstrait to you that they indeed can get out through the window if required, then you have no need to worry.

ladysoapmaker
03-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Jal,

Thanks for the comment. but the windows don't meet egress code. It the small little windows just at the ground. The boys are skinny enough they can wiggle through them but.... And they have to make sure they climb up onto their beds to reach the windows....

We got a quote to add a 2nd story on the house they wanted 2/3 of what the house is currently worth... More then we want to spend at this time... (and it'll take several years before we'd recoop any of that in equity.) though $240 for just a toilet when a friend can get one that is better quality for less then half makes me wonder how much they are padding their estimate.

Jen