PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella Stroller comparison (spreadsheet)

sherezada
03-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Since many of us have been looking for umbrella strollers lately, I figured I would share the spreadsheet I started. I filled it as best as I could by looking through youtube videos and reading reviews. Of course, a lot of the entries are my subjective opinion (like the canopy and basket size, the cons, etc), but hopefully it will be useful to some of you. Maybe one of the admins would like to take ownership of it, put it in the FAQ sticky and/or continue updating it as they get information from these forums.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AhuNti0XL1nxdHhsS1RkLW9sZnRpMEhxQ0t0dnozQ1E&output=html

Momto1
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

Just curious - why no macs?

sherezada
03-02-2011, 12:32 PM
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

Just curious - why no macs?

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention I'm an anti-mac person (both stroller and computer wise :wink2:). Hence I didn't include them in my search. But I'd be glad to add them to the list if someone gives me the specs.

Multimama
03-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm confused as to why you listed the Blink canopy and basket as "small." The basket is definitely comparable to the Inglesina that you listed as "okay" and the canopy is substantially larger. In addition to being longer, it also has a fold-out visor.

Cool chart. Was this so you could decide what to purchase? What did you end up buying?

You're missing one crucial category (or set of categories) though: PUSH and one-handed steering. This may not seem to matter now. (Umbrellas may feel like they all push the same empty on the very nice flooring of baby stores.) But it is the most important feature, IMO, and why I am a Maclaren convert. Features are nice, but push is the most important thing. :)

rin
03-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Wow, awesome comparison chart!!! Thanks for sharing.

I'd also add a column for ease of fold/one-handed fold; that was something that was pretty important for me, since I use my umbrella for airport travel and wanted to have something I could fold up while holding my baby at the security line. (This totally pushed me towards Macs.)

Tiny point: the weight on the Cybex Onyx seems high to me. I've never seen one IRL but am pretty sure it's lighter than the Cybex Topaz (which I used to have).

indigo99
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I love my Mac although I did try to resist because of the price. It just didn't seem like it was built all that well. However, I love using it, and it has held up well. It is SO easy to push and steer, and it fits in small spaces. My husband even agrees that it is great, and he really wanted to be right and dislike it since we already had a stroller when I purchased it.

sherezada
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm confused as to why you listed the Blink canopy and basket as "small." The basket is definitely comparable to the Inglesina that you listed as "okay" and the canopy is substantially larger. In addition to being longer, it also has a fold-out visor.

Like I said, some things were my subjective opinion from what I could see in pictures/videos. I haven't seen most of these strollers IRL.

Cool chart. Was this so you could decide what to purchase? What did you end up buying?
Yes, this and JellyBeans' review finally convinced me to get the G-Luxe 2011 (haven't bought it yet).

You're missing one crucial category (or set of categories) though: PUSH and one-handed steering. This may not seem to matter now. (Umbrellas may feel like they all push the same empty on the very nice flooring of baby stores.) But it is the most important feature, IMO, and why I am a Maclaren convert. Features are nice, but push is the most important thing. :)
Well, I figured strollers that didn't have a bar-type handle wouldn't be a one-hand push (I see by your comment that I'm wrong on that). I didn't add the push category because I can't comment on that, since I haven't tried them IRL.

Thank you all for your comments. I was not trying to create an exhaustive comparison of all the umbrella strollers out there. I just compared the ones I was considering, and the features that mattered to me at this moment as best as I could with the information I could gather online. I'd be more than happy to pass it on to someone else who wants to make it into a more exhaustive list.

satchnbucky
03-02-2011, 01:12 PM
I have to say, I guess I don't understand why people are anti-mac. I own a Mac, and I love it. I got it based on recs from friends and this board. Is it tippy, sure, if I hang things on it and my kid isn't in it, but what 11 lb stroller wouldn't be? Can they be overpriced? Sure, but I don't know many people who buy their macs full priced anyway. In fact, my friend just sold her Triumph for more than she paid for it...
Macs have a one handed push, and push great even with a 35 lb kid in them...

I think it's awesome that you made the spreadsheet and it's a totally valuable resource, but I think you really need to include macs, since they're basically the gold standard of umbrellas...

rin
03-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes, this and JellyBeans' review finally convinced me to get the G-Luxe 2011 (haven't bought it yet).

Ooh, nice! I've been having some G-luxe lust lately, although I think it'll sadly remain unfulfilled since my DH will have a heart attack if I propose getting another stroller. I've just gotten a Mac Triumph to replace my ancient Mac Quest, and I think my DH's capacity for stroller buying has been maxed out until we have another baby!

Well, I figured strollers that didn't have a bar-type handle wouldn't be a one-hand push (I see by your comment that I'm wrong on that). I didn't add the push category because I can't comment on that, since I haven't tried them IRL.

Yeah, the 2-handled Mac push is pretty awesome, and this plus the basically no-hand fold (I can do it holding my baby in one hand and with a bag of groceries in the other, although I do have to put the groceries down to pick the stroller up again :)) are what won me over. I often just push it with one hand and walk next to the stroller to chat with my baby so we can see each other. She's not super heavy (20+ lbs or so), but I often have the basket weighed down with 10-15 lbs of library books, a gallon of milk, etc, and it still goes just fine. I hear really similar things about the G-luxe push too!

Thank you all for your comments. I was not trying to create an exhaustive comparison of all the umbrella strollers out there. I just compared the ones I was considering, and the features that mattered to me at this moment as best as I could with the information I could gather online. I'd be more than happy to pass it on to someone else who wants to make it into a more exhaustive list.

I totally didn't mean to pick at your chart. I think it's fabulous you put together such a great tool, and it's awesome of you to share it with everyone! I think a lot of people (myself included) get very excited about the umbrella stroller topic, and can't help but jump in with suggestions and ideas.

Multimama
03-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Like I said, some things were my subjective opinion from what I could see in pictures/videos. I haven't seen most of these strollers IRL.

Well, I own the Blink so now you know. :) Basket "okay." Canopy "okay." Also, I would say that the Flite's canopy is "big." Some reviewers don't seem to have realized (as some retailers don't) that you can unsnap it and pull it all the way forward. Check out strollerqueen's review to see some great pics.

Congratulations on making your choice! After all this raving about the G-luxe I feel like I have to go and check it out again. I was really excited about it when I read about it online too, but in person I found it just didn't feel as solid and substantial as I had been hoping. But I believe that is partly just due to the materials they have to use to get it to be so lightweight and not to say that it is not a quality stroller. Now the big question is: what color to choose?? :)

I didn't add the push category because I can't comment on that, since I haven't tried them IRL.

Yes, this is tricky. Even when you see them IRL it can be tricky if you can't test them out in real life conditions. Once it's a priority you do start to get a feel for it from reviews, sometimes having to read between the lines for reviews that only mention the positives of a stroller. You can definitely get a one-handed push without the bar handle, but steering is easier with the bar. :)

Thanks for sharing. Come back and let us know what you think of the G-luxe when it arrives.

Multimama
03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Is it tippy, sure, if I hang things on it and my kid isn't in it, but what 11 lb stroller wouldn't be?

The Maclaren Starck! :D (Okay, it's 13.5 lbs, but let me rave about the shelf some more.)

I agree that an umbrella stroller chart without Macs is strange, but if she knew she would never buy one and this was for her own personal use, then it would be stranger to have included them. :)

I think it's fabulous you put together such a great tool, and it's awesome of you to share it with everyone! I think a lot of people (myself included) get very excited about the umbrella stroller topic, and can't help but jump in with suggestions and ideas.

:yeahthat: I love talking about lightweight strollers. And you know, once you've had a Mac (not the Volo, hate the Volo) it's hard not to try to convince other people to try one too. But there are other great options out there and I hope you love the G-luxe.

arivecchi
03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I would add Longevity, Proven Track Record and Push. Macs blow all the others out of the water in those categories.

arivecchi
03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I think it's awesome that you made the spreadsheet and it's a totally valuable resource, but I think you really need to include macs, since they're basically the gold standard of umbrellas...:yeahthat:

rin
03-02-2011, 01:30 PM
I think it's awesome that you made the spreadsheet and it's a totally valuable resource, but I think you really need to include macs, since they're basically the gold standard of umbrellas...

Although I do wish they'd bring back the rotating canopy. :( That's the one reason I've been lusting after the G-luxe. Why, oh why did Maclaren do away with the rotating canopy!?!?!

Multimama
03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
I would add Longevity, Proven Track Record and Push.

Oooh, and resale value! This is what I didn't understand when I bought my first umbrella. I just sold a Maclaren for $5 less than I paid. Getting that for the Blink would be impossible.

rin
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Oooh, and resale value! This is what I didn't understand when I bought my first umbrella. I just sold a Maclaren for $5 less than I paid. Getting that for the Blink would be impossible.

Ha ha! I know, I just sold my Mac Quest for $35 more than I paid for it. :) Granted I got it wicked cheap on CL, but still.

arivecchi
03-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Oooh, and resale value! This is what I didn't understand when I bought my first umbrella. I just sold a Maclaren for $5 less than I paid. Getting that for the Blink would be impossible. True. Quality of fabrics and looks too.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_jTwukNHSd64/TIGcoC9EVWI/AAAAAAAABn8/rnk0kZmgCR4/s512/IMG_3660.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_jTwukNHSd64/TIGctgYvKrI/AAAAAAAABoY/ddJPyP2S11Q/s512/IMG_3675.JPG

http://www.travelingtikes.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/y/h/yhst-21962386755812_2145_20664943.jpg
http://www.strollerlife.com/images/triumph%20front.jpg

sherezada
03-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I love talking about lightweight strollers. And you know, once you've had a Mac (not the Volo, hate the Volo) it's hard not to try to convince other people to try one too. But there are other great options out there and I hope you love the G-luxe.

Okay, okay...since I haven't bought the stroller yet, I'll bite. :44:
Which Mac would be comparable to the G-Luxe?

These are my musts:
-Obviously, lightweight (please mention the weight on your suggestion)
-deep recline (my baby will sleep on this stroller while we're exploring places during our cruise)
-adjustable footrest
-decent canopy (to shield him from the Caribbean sun)

rin
03-02-2011, 01:50 PM

These are my musts:
-Obviously, lightweight (please mention the weight on your suggestion)
-deep recline (my baby will sleep on this stroller while we're exploring places during our cruise)
-adjustable footrest
-decent canopy (to shield him from the Caribbean sun)

If you can find a Mac Quest from before 2007, they've got the rotating canopy, so it'll have everything you're looking for. Weight: 12.5 lbs. And if you're just using it for the cruise, if you buy a used one when you're done with the cruise you can almost definitely sell it for what you paid for it. The seat fabric all comes off, so you can throw it and the straps in the washing machine, wipe down the canopy, and the whole thing's clean & good to go. But I honestly hear the G-luxe is supposed to be fabulous, and going by online reviews the 2011 canopy looks nicer than the current Mac canopies, so I'm not trying to convince you away from that by any means!

Multimama
03-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Maclaren Techno (17.5 lbs, I think). The Techno is more stroller than the G-luxe, but honestly if you're going to off ship on this cruise, I don't think more stroller is a bad thing. How old is your LO? Do you plan to keep using the stroller after the cruise? How will you hope to use it? These are all things to consider.

I think if you are going to be out in the sun in the caribbean you are going to want more sunshade than even the G-luxe provides so I wouldn't limit yourself based on canopy. I might actually consider a Maclaren Triumph and a rayshade or something similar in your shoes.

It's not that I think the G-luxe is a bad choice. I just wouldn't write off macs before you've even consider them.

roseyloxs
03-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Awesome chart. :applause:

It's okay to be irrational. :tongue5: I am anti-Mac and I have absolutely no good reason. I don't care if anyone else wants to push Mac but I certainly don't. Although I have been not so secretly lusting over the Maclaren Starck. In the right color combination the triumph has been looking better then usual these days too.

Also have to repeat a PP the cybex onyx weighs less then the topaz. Google tells me its 15.2 lbs.

poohbear
03-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Does the G-Luxe have a FULL recline? If so, then I would look at a ryder if you can find a deal (maclaren spitfire, 4 seasons, Albert Thurston -ooh la la), or a Techno, which is full-featured, but will weigh more than the G-Luxe...
Otherwise, a Quest has a legrest...

There's nothing wrong with the G-Luxe, I think PPs were just saying that there's really not necessarily a reason to be anti-Mac either or rule them out.

Here's the thing - pretty much the only thing Maclaren makes is umbrella strollers. That's what they do (sure they make the grand tour, but who buys that?). So, you figure it's going to be a good product, because it's their THANG. As Satchnbucky said, "they're the gold standard" That's not to say the Uppa is not going to be good... I think the G-luxe surpasses the Mac in canopy and it looks like the new one has nicer fabrics. I would be sure to get a 2011 though. The 2010 had weird fabrics...

As for resale, generally speaking, resale is probably going to be higher on Macs because they have been around forever and when most people think quality umbrellas, they think Maclaren. And they also think they're expensive, so they're excited to find one on CL. Just my long-winded 2 cents..

Kennie
03-03-2011, 12:29 PM
The recline on the gluxe is 120 degrees, so not a full recline. The Mac Techno's have a full recline and adjustable foot rest. The Max Techno XT has a weight of 18 lbs (according to SQ's review), but it's fully featured, and strollerqueen has a great review of it with pictures that show a large canopy.

While the techno is heavier than the gluxe, I really liked it in person. But I also liked the gluxe. I agree with poohbeat to stay away from the 2010's and the weird fabric they had, it is all shiny and odd feeling. Hard to describe.

longtallsally05
03-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I have to say, I guess I don't understand why people are anti-mac...

Well, I'm not anti-Mac, but if I had purchased a Triumph, I probably would be by now, lol. I wanted to love Macs, but I am quite tall (6'2") and I kick the back of Macs like crazy. I was all fired up to buy a Mac umbrella stroller because I loved my Mac Easy Traveller stroller frame (no problem kicking the back of the Easy Traveller, as opposed to the Volo, Triumph & Quest), but I just couldn't walk upright (had to hunch over to avoid kicking the X in the back). Good thing I went for test-strolls! I ended up buying a G-Luxe after reading all about it on the BBB. I am glad I did, even though the standing fold is more like a leaning fold, after having been gate-checked by a few airlines! I never found the fabric to be weird, thin or shiny. I have the red GLuxe with the mesh fabric on the seat.

I do agree that it would be worth including reviews of Maclarens in the spreadsheet, simply because they have so many good qualities and they work well for most people.