PDA

View Full Version : 12 minutes until ipad announcement!!!

larig
03-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Waiting on pins and needles over here! Anyone else interested?

georgiegirl
03-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Me! It's going to be my birthday present!

crl
03-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Oh yeah. DH wants an iPad for his birthday. We are mostly thinking they will drop the prices on the originals and he will get one of those.

Catherine

scrooks
03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
My DH really wants one...we were going to get one at Xmas but heard these new ones were coming soon!

mackmama
03-02-2011, 02:11 PM
I heart all things Apple, so I'm very interested!

SkyrMommy
03-02-2011, 02:26 PM
So excited!!!!! :yay: DH declared the new version my "mommy deserves it because she puts up with daddy's craziness" present, at least that's what he told DD to make me laugh!!!

Can't wait!!!

iaam
03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
http://mashable.com/2011/03/02/apples-ipad-2-launch-what-you-need-to-know/

SkyrMommy
03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
http://mashable.com/2011/03/02/apples-ipad-2-launch-what-you-need-to-know/

:hug: You're the best!!!! Thanks for the link!!!

KHF
03-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Here is another liveblog that seems to be updating faster with more info:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20037801-37.html?tag=TOCcarouselMain.0

I might actually spring for this one...Ipad1 was way too thick and bulky for me, but this one looks nice and is FAST!

ETA: the Apple store is down now for updating...wonder if it's going to starting selling them immediately following the announcement?

♥ms.pacman♥
03-02-2011, 02:41 PM
i was just reading the live blog from engadget. pretty cool! i like how they didn't hike up the price again. and yay for dual cameras, less thickness/weight and for being able to have video output for all apps! i totally want an ipad2 now!!

TwinFoxes
03-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I will be asking for an early Mothers Day present :)

larig
03-02-2011, 03:28 PM
DH and I just watched the coverage of the announcement--WOW!!! DH is stoked about garageband (we're musicians for fun). We're getting one because of that and the cameras.

larig
03-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Oh yeah. DH wants an iPad for his birthday. We are mostly thinking they will drop the prices on the originals and he will get one of those.

no price drops, but outstanding updates.

cuca_
03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Yay, this is my belated x-mas present (I wanted to wait for the newer version). Can't wait until March 11th!!

LD92599
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
I might post my current one for sale on FB tonight! I want this and my birthday is coming up!

larig
03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Yay, this is my belated x-mas present (I wanted to wait for the newer version). Can't wait until March 11th!!

You are patient!! Was it worth the wait for you?

Twoboos
03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
So not reading. Mine is only a year old and I'm not getting a new one, even though I'll probably want it! ;)

KHF
03-02-2011, 03:50 PM
We are mostly thinking they will drop the prices on the originals and he will get one of those.

According to Engadget, the original iPad pricing drops to $399 for the base model, 16GB WiFi only up to $729 for the 64GB 3G model.

crl
03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
According to Engadget, the original iPad pricing drops to $399 for the base model, 16GB WiFi only up to $729 for the 64GB 3G model.

Wonder if he'll go for the cheap one or get a new one. I'm not sure how much he will care about the updates. . . . I have the original 3G and would trade him for the original base model if he wants the 3G.

Cool updates.

Catherine

lchang25000
03-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Yep...DH has been wanting to get me one, but had been holding out for this new one!!! :yay:

cuca_
03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
You are patient!! Was it worth the wait for you?

After reading the update I think it was. I'll let you know once I get it!! I figured it was not worth to get the older version and be coveting the newer one three months later!

arivecchi
03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
See, I could not wait. :D I just got one a few weeks ago and love it so much! My guess is that we will get another one because DH and the kids are constantly trying to take my ipad!

Twoboos
03-02-2011, 06:33 PM
So not reading. Mine is only a year old and I'm not getting a new one, even though I'll probably want it! ;)

Um, OK... DH just called and is talking about selling mine and getting me a new one!! WHAT??? :yay: I'm going to have to think about this one. (He says he "needs" one in the house and since I use it every day it makes sense to upgrade mine and keep his?? Again I say, WHAT?!)

alexsmommy
03-02-2011, 06:40 PM
See, I could not wait. :D I just got one a few weeks ago and love it so much! My guess is that we will get another one because DH and the kids are constantly trying to take my ipad!

Yep, I'm in love with mine and do not feel upset about the updates. The kids are so into my iPad that I could see upgrading after a few more versions and making my current one the kid one. It's the same as the iPhone, I have the second version and it serves all of my purposes just fine so even when I se a newer one, my envy last all of two seconds.
Gotta give it to apple, they grabbed the non-gadget market. I'm so normally not into any of this stuff.

mackmama
03-02-2011, 06:42 PM
How do you all use your iPads? I like the idea of them but am not sure how I'd really use one IRL. I'm on my laptop all the time so am thinking an iPad would be redundant?

arivecchi
03-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Not redudant! We have a Mac laptop and 2 PCS too. I love being able to take my ipad everywhere in the house and when we go to the ILs. I will also be taking it with me when I travel. The kids are loving all the games and books we have on it!

mackmama
03-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Not redudant! We have a Mac laptop and 2 PCS too. I love being able to take my ipad everywhere in the house and when we go to the ILs. I will also be taking it with me when I travel. The kids are loving all the games and books we have on it!

I carry my laptop around the house. I don't travel with it, though, so I could see it being nice to have then. I'm just not sure how useful it would be. It sounds like many people love them though, so I must be missing something!

jiggaman
03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Apple store dropped the price of the original by $100

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/clearance/ipad?cjid=10492644-1225267-u14686t2717931f9fp0c0s598&AID=10479833&PID=4485850&SID=u14686t2717931f9fp0c0s598

Refurbs are about $50 cheaper than those prices.

If you can wait there are rumors of the ipad 3 coming out towards the end of this year. But if you wait, there's always something newer/better coming out. I think it's best to buy it when you really need/want it and don't look back b/c you know the price will drop.

larig
03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
now, what color are you all getting? and what about the cool cover?

I'm just getting DH's hand-me-down old one (I have a laptop). I'll use it for books, and traveling. DS loves to play writing games and light brite, etc. DH uses it for his primary computer (he is a developer and has a work laptop). He'll use his to record music with the new garage band.

larig
03-02-2011, 07:04 PM

I even remember the BBB told you the new one was coming out, but you were determined to have one! I think it will be nice to have two, especially with two boys, who must fight over it.

karin4
03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
now, what color are you all getting? and what about the cool cover?

I'm just getting DH's hand-me-down old one (I have a laptop). I'll use it for books, and traveling. DS loves to play writing games and light brite, etc. DH uses it for his primary computer (he is a developer and has a work laptop). He'll use his to record music with the new garage band.

I'm definitely getting one, and it will be black-- I just don't like white electronics. And that cover is very cool. I'm thinking red. It'd be a harder decision if all the colors came in only leather or only polyurethane, but I much prefer leather, so that makes that decision easy.

alexsmommy
03-02-2011, 08:07 PM
How do you all use your iPads? I like the idea of them but am not sure how I'd really use one IRL. I'm on my laptop all the time so am thinking an iPad would be redundant?

For me it's the apps. The joke "there's an app for that!"? Totally true. I love the kindle app, since getting my iPad over the holidays I've read four new novels. My kids use it to play and do educational things. We have a car trip coming up in the next two months and I know it will get heavy use. The portability is way better than my laptop around the house. I have my to do lists synced and though I'm still learning what all my app for that can do, but it looks awesome. A client told me I can sync it with my iPhone to alert me of a to do list when I'm near a certain store. So right now I have a running Ikea list, and once I actually sit down and learn how to do that if I'm near Ikea it will remind me I need to pick up things on my phone. I cannot tell you how often I go near a Hone Depot but don't think to go in fir something we need until it's too late.
I'm so not techie and probably use 1/100th of what it can do, and I love it. Like TJ's it was a slow love affair but now I'm in a committed relationship :)

peanut520
03-02-2011, 08:42 PM
March 11 cant get here fast enough!!! i just need to decide the 16 or 32 with 3g.

larig
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
For me it's the apps. The joke "there's an app for that!"? Totally true. I love the kindle app, since getting my iPad over the holidays I've read four new novels. My kids use it to play and do educational things. We have a car trip coming up in the next two months and I know it will get heavy use. The portability is way better than my laptop around the house. I have my to do lists synced and though I'm still learning what all my app for that can do, but it looks awesome. A client told me I can sync it with my iPhone to alert me of a to do list when I'm near a certain store. So right now I have a running Ikea list, and once I actually sit down and learn how to do that if I'm near Ikea it will remind me I need to pick up things on my phone. I cannot tell you how often I go near a Hone Depot but don't think to go in fir something we need until it's too late.
I'm so not techie and probably use 1/100th of what it can do, and I love it. Like TJ's it was a slow love affair but now I'm in a committed relationship :)

when you figure out that iphone sync list-alert thing, you've gotta come post something about how to do it (or PM me). I need a second brain like that! I hate being in a store's neighborhood and then forgetting that I need something there. That is so me!

larig
03-02-2011, 09:25 PM
March 11 cant get here fast enough!!! i just need to decide the 16 or 32 with 3g.

I'm lobbying for the 32 (even though it's DH's). Our first was a 32 gig, and it holds SO many movies. And with the HD movie recording capability and camera you're going to be creating more STUFF to fill up your 16/32 gig drive. That was the logic I used when I decided to get the 32 gig iphone 4 instead of the 16. If you're not going to make movies or take pictures then the 16 would be fine.

kboyle
03-03-2011, 11:20 AM
We just got ours for xmas and my parents were planning on getting one next month. Lucky us, they're buying ours so we can get the new one!! They don't need the new one and would prefer to see little videos of the kids so it all works out!

peanut520
03-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm lobbying for the 32 (even though it's DH's). Our first was a 32 gig, and it holds SO many movies. And with the HD movie recording capability and camera you're going to be creating more STUFF to fill up your 16/32 gig drive. That was the logic I used when I decided to get the 32 gig iphone 4 instead of the 16. If you're not going to make movies or take pictures then the 16 would be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I think i'm going 32 even though i'm not goint o make movies because i'll basically have double the memory for 100 more.

Now to pick a cover color...

Anyone going to order the accessories ahead of ipad2?

carolinamama
03-03-2011, 10:44 PM

Which one did you get, if you don't mind me asking? I am just now starting to research ipads and have no idea what I will need to use it for web browsing, kids games and books etc.

arivecchi
03-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Which one did you get, if you don't mind me asking? I am just now starting to research ipads and have no idea what I will need to use it for web browsing, kids games and books etc.We got a 32GB wifi one.

The kids love it so much that I think we will need another one!

Twoboos
03-03-2011, 10:58 PM
We got (OK, Dh picked out) a 64gb wifi (ETA: iPad1). It can hold tons of movies/pictures/music/books. It has been fabulous when traveling, we can plug it into a tv where we are and use it for DDs to watch movies. Or, they can just watch on the pad if no tv is available! :)

I don't have a laptop and use it all over the house. It's been so freeing! And I have been able to use it basically everywhere we've ever gone, everyone seems to have wifi now.

DDs love it. Too much. I have to hide it from them, or I'll find them playing Angry Birds or Cut the Rope!

ETAagain: When/if I do upgrade, I'll probably still get 64 wifi.

larig
03-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think i'm going 32 even though i'm not goint o make movies because i'll basically have double the memory for 100 more.

Now to pick a cover color...

Anyone going to order the accessories ahead of ipad2?

we're interested in the HDMI video thingy they mentioned.

jgenie
03-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Will you still need a cover like an otterbox for it? Seems like the Ipad 2 cover they have is only for the front? Is that correct? Will they be shipping out on March 11 if we order online? Anyone think they'll be sold out that day? Do we need to stay up to stalk the site?

octmom
03-04-2011, 12:10 AM
I've been waiting for the iPad2 and I think I'm going to buy one. :boogie: For those of you who have iPads, is it easy to copy movies from DVD to the iPad? How much memory does an average feature-length movie take up? Do you store movies on your iPad or just keep a few for travel, etc., then delete them to free up memory? I'm trying to decide which memory capacity I might buy.

Thanks!

kozachka
03-04-2011, 02:38 AM

Catherine

:yeahthat: Same here. Although knowing DH he'd prefer the latest version. Still trying to decide if it's worth it.