PDA

View Full Version : Request for labor vibes / tips to start labor and positive thoughts :)

firstbaby
03-02-2011, 02:47 PM
My due date was Monday and at the OB today they confirmed they are okay with me going to 42 weeks but wanted to get the induction on the calendar for the 14th. When I went to the appt desk to schedule it, the scheduler starting going on and on about how that date wouldn't work, they are already overbooked, etc. I almost started to cry and told her I wasn't the one who wanted the induction and could care less if it is that day or not. A nurse overheard me and told me not to schedule it if I didn't want to. So, I left with an appointment for next week (to include a NST) but no scheduled induction.

I feel so deflated. I had a BAD induction with DC1 - healthy child, but really bad experience. With DC2 I went into labor on my own a couple of days early and had the BEST experience ever. I really really wanted a home birth this time, but it stressed DH WAY too much and now I'm the stressed one and upset.

I've tried being "friendly" with DH, pineapple, eggplant parm, foot massages, long walks. Lots of contractions, nothing regular though. Care to share some "bring on labor" tips / vibes / positive thoughts???

brittone2
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
This may sound cheesy and all new agey, but is anything holding you back emotionally? Obviously no need to respond here but something to consider. I have used hypnosis/hypnobabies/hypnobirthing with all three kids and found the "fear release" helpful at the end. Not sure if you are open to that but you can probably find some stuff online (I think hypnobabies lets you buy some single tracks? You could also probably find a script for a "fear release" online if you are open to that).

I went into labor in the morning with DS1, but with DD and DS2 I went into labor late in the evening (DD) and middle of the night (with DS2). I feel like my body needed to know there was some calm or something before I could go into labor.

Hoping your little one decides to arrive soon. Hang in there.

eta: I think walking helped me. With DS2 we were at an outdoor event requiring a lot of walking the day before i went into labor. I was contracting a lot but no real pattern at that point. With DD I went to a local birth-related art exhibit (the day of my EDD) and was hoping being surrounded by all that birth energy ;) would get her moving LOL.

BabbyO
03-02-2011, 02:55 PM
For me it was walking, walking, walking. Everywhere...and fairly briskly. The morning I had DS I walked 5 miles in labor. The night before I walked about 3 mi after work and another mile or so during lunch.

But I tend to be a walker. I also did a half marathon (13 mi) at 32 wks.

Good Luck...I'll send some labor vibes your way!

BTW, if the date they recommended for the induction was busy...why didn't they schedule for the day before or after instead of the week before? Do they only do inductions on a particular day of the week?

FWIW, I wouldn't want a scheduled induction 1 wk after my due date...2 maybe. I hope it all works out.

firstbaby
03-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks, ladies. Beth, I used hypnobabies with #2 and I've been faithfully doing the tracks again this time. I've been doing a fear release every other day and even listened to the early first stage the other day hoping it would bring things on, LOL. I am stressed - we have a major family thing going on right now that is bringing my parents to their knees, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and constantly thinking about how excited we are to meet this baby. I just feel really discouraged and appreciate your positive thoughts.

wendibird22
03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Sending labor vibes your way!
I can relate. I was induced with DD1 and it was a meh experience compared to my natural labor with DD2. With DD2 my OB stripped my membranes at 39wks and I was in labor 12hrs later. Maybe you and your OB would be open to considering this?

brittone2
03-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks, ladies. Beth, I used hypnobabies with #2 and I've been faithfully doing the tracks again this time. I've been doing a fear release every other day and even listened to the early first stage the other day hoping it would bring things on, LOL. I am stressed - we have a major family thing going on right now that is bringing my parents to their knees, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and constantly thinking about how excited we are to meet this baby. I just feel really discouraged and appreciate your positive thoughts.

Oh my. When you are in the midst of a ton of stress I don't think it helps. I hope you can find peace with what is going on and I hope your little one comes very soon.

:hug:

pinkmomagain
03-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Try lobster!

Kitten007
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I am so sorry you are stressed. BIG HUGS!!! :hug:

Walking helped me. I walked the night before DS2 was born. I was having good contractions, but nothing that was real labor. The next morning he was born after 3 hours of labor.

Sending you tons and tons of easy labor vibes.

brittone2
03-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Try lobster!
Sounds like one of the more fun solutions :bighand:

MamaMolly
03-02-2011, 04:56 PM
My OB swore by chinese food. It didn't help with me but tasted good!

For Dolly they broke my water and gave me an enema and WHAMMO less than 5 hours later we were holding her. Not all inductions are the same, and *if* you have another one it will be different than the first. I think it is supposed to be easier when it isn't the first birth.

alirebco
03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
What about acupuncture/acupressure?

Are you at all dialated/effaced? If you have to be induced, hopefully you at least have a favorable Bishop score so it might not be the same experience with your first.

MoJo
03-02-2011, 06:41 PM
They didn't work for me. . . but in addition to lots of walking, the natural childbirth center recommends regular pumping to try to induce labor, and sucking my thumb was recommended too. (I would have done better with lollipops, I think.)

I think stats are pretty strongly in your favor for your going into labor on your own / naturally by 42 weeks.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Sending labor vibes your way!
I can relate. I was induced with DD1 and it was a meh experience compared to my natural labor with DD2. With DD2 my OB stripped my membranes at 39wks and I was in labor 12hrs later. Maybe you and your OB would be open to considering this?

:yeahthat:

my OB stripped my membranes at 38 weeks and i went into labor the very next morning.

sending labor vibes your way! i can imagine you must be so anxious already!!

Snow mom
03-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Manual labor worked for me. I was changing canister filters on a 700+ gallon aquarium system the day I went into labor. Basically equivalent to the walking advice, but I think pushing your limits a bit physically is required rather than taking strolls. Sending you labor vibes as well as PT that the stressful situation in your life will resolve.

citymama
03-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Sending big hugs and lots of positive labor vibes. I hope you go into labor the way you want to, and have the birth experience you seek. Regardless of how the journey starts, know that you will be cuddling your new baby in your arms in less than 2 weeks! How exciting. March is a wonderful time for a birthday!

essnce629
03-03-2011, 06:10 AM
Here's my castor oil regimen if it comes down to it! It has a 100% success rate so far (worked for me and 8 others I know).

Castor Oil Regimen

Put 1oz (2 tablespoons) of castor oil (CO) in the blender with ice cream and a little bit of milk to make a shake. Drink. Take a long hot shower (this relaxes you). Proceed with 1 hour of nipple/breast stimulation-- apply oil to one breast, massage the area around the nipple/areola in a circular motion for 15 minutes (you don't have to actually touch your nipple), then switch sides. Only massage one breast at a time (15 minutes each side for a total of 1 hour). Wait for contractions.

If after 2 hours, you are having NO contractions at all, take another 1oz of CO in a shake and do another hour of nipple/breast stimulation. Wait for contractions.

If after 2 more hours, you are still having NO contractions, take a final 1oz of CO in a shake and do another hour of nipple/breast stimulation. Wait for contractions. If this doesn't work-- your body truly isn't ready.

Most women will be in labor after the first or second dose (it took me only one dose and I never had any diarrhea, stomach cramping, or nausea). DON'T take more than 3 doses (3oz total).

Good luck!!!