PDA

View Full Version : My WDW dilemma

mariza
03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
So as I posted last week I bought an Aprica Presto for my 6 yo for our trip to Disney. Generally speaking because of sensory issues and the fact that she cannot walk around Target without getting tired I know she will need a stroller on vacation. My 4 yo though is a trooper so initially I wasn't thinking of getting a stroller for him figuring they would take turns. Now I am wondering if that is a good idea and am reconsidering my options. Would love your opinions!
1. Keep the Presto and buy another umbrella for DS (Volo or maybe a BJCMicro
2. Drag our BOB Duallie to FL on the plane and on Disney busses (ugh!)
3. Rent a BJCMini double for $75 for the week from Magic Strollers
4. Bring just the Aprica and if having just one is an issue we can rent a single or double depending on what we think is best at the time.

We are hoping to not rent a car and are planning to stay on property. I don't think we will be splitting up but I won't rule it out since DS loves roller coasters and fast rides and DD does not. Advice please :)

bnme
03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Get the Volo! You will NEED it. I ended up buying 2 Volos when I went with a 6 & 4 yo and we didn't have appropriate strollers anymore. Totally worth it. I'm dreading the next time we go because they will be 7 & 8 and I am guessing we will be strollerless (and wishing we could just dump them in the stroller by the end of the day).

lhafer
03-02-2011, 03:32 PM
I had a 4.5 year old and 9 mo old when we went over Thanksgiving. I was planning on taking my BJCC and Volo for the baby and 4.5 year respectively. After DH threw his back out 2 days before our trip, that plan went out the window.

I ended up renting a BJCMD and LOVED it while we were there. Granted my kids were a lot smaller than yours. THe baby used it the most, the 4 year old on a few occasions, and when she wasn't in it, it held the rest of our stuff. I could have gotten by renting a single for our 10 day trip, but due to my husband not being able to lift anything - I needed somewhere for both kids in case they got tired. I wouldn't have been able to hold one AND push the stroller everywhere!!

In your case, honestly if your 4 year old is anything like mine - she wanted to walk almost all the time (and she is a stroller diva!) - I would just wait and see. Take the Aprica, and if you feel after a day or 2 you need an umbrella for the younger one - you can buy on there. I would buy vs. rent because you can at least come home and try to sell it and recoup some of your money.

The other good option is to get a Volo. It's light enough that you can carry it around and it not be cumbersome. Or you can attach it to the Aprica when not in use (I had planned on doing this with my BJCC). And you can always sell it later as well and recoup your money.

If you feel you will be splitting up to ride rides, etc - then go with 2 singles over a double. And it's easier to deal with single strollers vs double strollers on the buses, etc. We didn't rent a car, and relied on disney buses the entire time we were there. It was doable with a double, but a single would have been much easier!

cono0507
03-02-2011, 03:38 PM
We just got back with a 3yo and 6yo. We used our maclaren quest and i picked up a used volo on craigslist for $30. Worked perfectly. We hung the volo by the strap from the quest on the rare occasions we didn't need both.

mariza
03-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the tips, I'll be checking out CL for the next several weeks. But just one more question. I got DH to agree to a rental car (we are staying on property still, at Pop Century) would having a car there change your mind about bringing BOB or is it too much stroller for Disney?

cono0507
03-04-2011, 01:05 AM
We had a rental car when we were there and drove to all the parks except mk since we could take the boat there. I personally preferred having two small singles. So much easier to maneuver,IMO.

toystorymama
03-04-2011, 09:18 AM
The BOB is too much stroller for Disney IMO, especially for places like restaurants and gift shops.

I would rent the BJCMD. We are going to Universal Orlando for 3 days next week and I am wishing I had a double for the times I will be alone with my 2 boys (while other adults are riding coasters). Bringing 2 singles means I will have to park one and have my 4 year old walk.