PDA

View Full Version : Did you do a birthing/Bringing another Baby home - type class for #2+

BabbyO
03-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Just wondering if people took a second birthing class or one aimed at parents bringing a second (or subsequent) child into the house?

We're expecting #2 and although my doc hasn't changed, I won't be delivering in the same hospital. The first hospital had classes specifically for
2nd-, 3rd-, etc time parents. It appears the new hospital doesn't. My understanding is that these classes target preparing your children for the new addition.

I'm pretty sure that I could take the classes offered at the second hospital, but it appears that they've moved them to one of their sites outside of my town. It isn't crazy far away...but I'm just wondering if it is worth it?

It is only a $15 class...so I'm not worried about $$...just time.

ETA: If you didn't, did you do anything special to prepare your older child(ren). DS will be 26 mo when #2 is born. Of course he just doesn't get it now, even though he'll point at my belly when asked where the baby is.

AnnieW625
03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
No the hospital where I delivered DD2 didn't have them. I thought about taking her to the class at the hospital where I had DD1 at because they have those classes, but I thought it would just confuse her more because at that hospital they showed the kids where the nursery was and such. I am really glad I didn't because Kaiser had this rule that no children could be in the maternity ward because it was late April and it was still considered flu season so she didn't even get to come to the hospital and visit:(. If there is no rule like that then I would do it.

lmwbasye
03-02-2011, 05:29 PM
We did but we were in a totally different state. Also, I couldn't believe all the stuff I forgot about in just 3 years. It was a good way for DH and I to take time to just focus and prepare for #2.

Good luck!

BabbyO
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I hadn't thought of that.

The class I'm looking at is for parents. There is a class for kids, but they have to be 4-9 yo. DS will only be 2, so we can't attend that one anyway. And if we could...it would be the same thing...different hospital than I'll be delivering at so it doesn't make sense.

BabbyO
03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
The Doc would probably encourage me to brush up on the breathing techniques to use when you AREN'T supposed to push! :)

MoJo
03-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I wanted a natural childbirth, so I re-read my books.

I didn't take any other classes (we did with #1) for us or for our 2 year old, and I don't have ANY regrets about not taking any. FWIW, it wasn't planned, but she ended up even watching the birth. And that was OK.

I don't think anything would have helped her, and honestly, I think she had an easier adjustment than other siblings I know who were older when baby arrived.

MommyAllison
03-02-2011, 07:08 PM
No, we didn't. It hadn't been that long, and it would have been nearly impossible for us to find the time for classes at that point in our life. We read big sister type books with DD and talked with her about the baby a lot. She was a few days shy of 30 months old when DS was born, and the transition was smooth for her. The hardest part for us was preparing to be away from her, as I hadn't left her for more than 8 hours before, never missed bedtime or overnight & she was still nursing - getting her schedule, food likes/dislikes, etc all written out helped, and in the end, she was totally fine.

ETA: We did take DD for a hospital tour of the maternity floor.

elektra
03-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I didn't take a second class for #2, no.

scrooks
03-02-2011, 08:13 PM
No class for #2. Especially since it was in the same hospital and a planned c-section.

s7714
03-02-2011, 09:35 PM
No, I didn't retake any classes with #2 and won't with #3 because I'm on bed rest. I was planning on taking the refresher course with #3 only to remember the breathing techniques. I ended up hyperventilating on the way to the hospital with #2 because I wasn't breathing right.

We did take a hospital tour with #2 because things had changed a little at the hospital between #1 and #2. Now they're completely remodeled, so I'd planned on taking another tour but got a personal preview when I was there with pre-term labor instead.

Kitten007
03-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Didn't take any other birthing classes except for DS1 of course. Since DS2 was a year and a half later we opted out, but since DS2 was born in another hospital we did take the tour. With baby #3 we decided we won't do the tour or the birthing class (same hospital as DS2). For some reason when labor kicks in, I remember everything and listen closely to the nurses and doctors and do as they say (and ask tons of questions if I have any). The hospital I am delivering at doesn't have specific classes for 2+ babies that I am aware of (just the regular birthing class).

BabbyO
03-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Didn't take any other birthing classes except for DS1 of course. Since DS2 was a year and a half later we opted out, but since DS2 was born in another hospital we did take the tour. With baby #3 we decided we won't do the tour or the birthing class (same hospital as DS2). For some reason when labor kicks in, I remember everything and listen closely to the nurses and doctors and do as they say (and ask tons of questions if I have any). The hospital I am delivering at doesn't have specific classes for 2+ babies that I am aware of (just the regular birthing class).

I'm not so worried about the labor at all...and the only reason I had trouble with the breathing you use when you're not supposed to push is I showed up at the clinic 10 cm dilated and fully effaced....ready to GO!

They made me take an ambulance to the hospital and DS was born within 15 min of me getting there...it all happened so fast and there were about 10 people telling me what to do/hooking me up to monitors/getting me undressed...there was NO way I could focus or remember that breathing!

We'll probably get a tour of the hospital because it is new...maybe I'll even get to see it a little when I'm in labor this time. The only time I saw the L&D area of the old hospital was on our tour! :)

citymama
03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
No, we didn't, but our doula is a childbirth educator and did a mini-"class" for us at home with DD present!

longtallsally05
03-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I took DD to one of those classes when I was expecting DS. It wasn't invaluable, but one thing it did was cure her of any desire to drink any of the baby's milk. They offered the expectant siblings a sip of baby formula in a cup and DD was totally disgusted by the taste. DD never asked to nurse the entire year I nursed DS, but she did "nurse" several of her baby dolls, lol.

BabbyO
03-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I took DD to one of those classes when I was expecting DS. It wasn't invaluable, but one thing it did was cure her of any desire to drink any of the baby's milk. They offered the expectant siblings a sip of baby formula in a cup and DD was totally disgusted by the taste. DD never asked to nurse the entire year I nursed DS, but she did "nurse" several of her baby dolls, lol.

That is hysterical! DS likes so many things kids are supposed to hate I'm afraid that would turn him ON to baby's milk! :)

eh613c
03-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Just wondering if people took a second birthing class or one aimed at parents bringing a second (or subsequent) child into the house?

We're expecting #2 and although my doc hasn't changed, I won't be delivering in the same hospital. The first hospital had classes specifically for
2nd-, 3rd-, etc time parents. It appears the new hospital doesn't. My understanding is that these classes target preparing your children for the new addition.

I'm pretty sure that I could take the classes offered at the second hospital, but it appears that they've moved them to one of their sites outside of my town. It isn't crazy far away...but I'm just wondering if it is worth it?

It is only a $15 class...so I'm not worried about $$...just time.

ETA: If you didn't, did you do anything special to prepare your older child(ren). DS will be 26 mo when #2 is born. Of course he just doesn't get it now, even though he'll point at my belly when asked where the baby is.

I'm in the same boat as you are. DS will be 32 mos when DS2 will be born. The hospital that we plan to deliver at is not the same as the first one. Both hospitals do offer a sibbling introduction class but it's for ages 3 and up. One of my girlfriends who has 3 kids suggested that when the older sibbling(s) come and visit you, make sure the baby is either in its basinet or at the nursery because you want to make the first 5-10 minutes all about him/her. They need that attention especially at this age. And then introduce the baby. I guess you just play it by ear as to how your DS will react to the baby. One thing is for sure, get him involved in taking care of the baby like choosing which outfit to dress the baby or helping you with changing the diapers (get the diaper and wipes). I hope this helps.