PDA

View Full Version : Wall-mounted coat hooks, or a kid-size coat tree?

gobadgers
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
In a fit of organization, I'm redoing the front part of our office into a mud room. I need a place where the kids can hang their coats and put their things away themselves.

I can't decide if I want to wall-mount some hooks or get a kids coat tree. My kids are 21 months and 3.5 years old so they can't reach very high yet, but whatever we do I want them to be able to reach it now.

I could get a kids coat tree for now, and mount some more permanent hooks up higher on the wall later. I think I'd prefer to have hooks mounted on the wall, but I'm worried that if I install them now, before long they will be too short. Help me with my indecision!

Octobermommy
03-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I would prefer wall mounted hooks. I can just see the tree getting knocked over plus it takes up floor space.

brittone2
03-02-2011, 05:29 PM
If you opt for hooks, I don't know how many you want/need, but one thought is to attach them to a longer board or buy something with several hooks already on it. That way you'd only have maybe 2 holes in your wall vs. a bunch if you are going to opt for several hooks, kwim?

mommylamb
We have something similar to these from the Company Store for DS. The ones we have are trains, but they don't make them any more.
http://www.thecompanystore.com/Big-Rigs-Truck-Wall-Hooks/74018A,default,pd.html?dwvar_74018A_color=MUL&start=3&cgid=ck-bedroom-accessories-decor-wall-hooks

Katigre
We use wall-mounted hooks from IKEA and they work very well (and won't tip over like a coat tree ;)). We got a rack that had hooks underneath and mounted one lower for the kids and one higher for DH and I.

gobadgers
03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I would prefer wall mounted hooks. I can just see the tree getting knocked over plus it takes up floor space.

YES, these are my two worries about a coat tree exactly!

gobadgers
03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
If you opt for hooks, I don't know how many you want/need, but one thought is to attach them to a longer board or buy something with several hooks already on it. That way you'd only have maybe 2 holes in your wall vs. a bunch if you are going to opt for several hooks, kwim?

That's true - I could always just move it up later and fill in the holes (or hang something else over them!)

gobadgers
03-02-2011, 05:38 PM
We have something similar to these from the Company Store for DS. The ones we have are trains, but they don't make them any more.
http://www.thecompanystore.com/Big-Rigs-Truck-Wall-Hooks/74018A,default,pd.html?dwvar_74018A_color=MUL&start=3&cgid=ck-bedroom-accessories-decor-wall-hooks

Those hooks are adorable! Now I'm thinking DS needs some in his room too :D

gobadgers
03-02-2011, 05:40 PM
OMG, lots of ideas so quickly, you guys!

We use wall-mounted hooks from IKEA and they work very well (and won't tip over like a coat tree ;)). We got a rack that had hooks underneath and mounted one lower for the kids and one higher for DH and I.

I don't know why I didn't think of this - it would be nice to have a shelf above to throw hats/gloves etc...

I'm thinking that I will mount one set low for the kids, and one high for adults (and the shoe rack will be directly underneath the adult one). Off to search for the right hooks now!

artvandalay
03-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I would go with Command Hooks (is that the right name? The kind that are removable and don't put a hole in the wall)

I put up 3 Command hooks near our regular coat rack so that my boys could hang their coats. I got the kind that can have up to 5lbs on them. They have different hooks, with different strengths - even ones that look kind of fancy (pewter finish).

The nice thing about them is that when your kids grow, and you need to move the hooks up, they include extra sticky adhesive strips, so you can reposition them.

The ones we have now are really sturdy and get used daily

gobadgers
03-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I would go with Command Hooks (is that the right name? The kind that are removable and don't put a hole in the wall)

I put up 3 Command hooks near our regular coat rack so that my boys could hang their coats. I got the kind that can have up to 5lbs on them. They have different hooks, with different strengths - even ones that look kind of fancy (pewter finish).

The nice thing about them is that when your kids grow, and you need to move the hooks up, they include extra sticky adhesive strips, so you can reposition them.

The ones we have now are really sturdy and get used daily

OK, I've been wondering about these. I can imagine my kids not being gentle, maybe even pulling on them etc... Do you think they would withstand that type of abuse on a daily basis?

Thanks everyone for the ideas!!

artvandalay
03-02-2011, 07:29 PM
OK, I've been wondering about these. I can imagine my kids not being gentle, maybe even pulling on them etc... Do you think they would withstand that type of abuse on a daily basis?

Thanks everyone for the ideas!!

If you want I can take a pic of them right now, with what my boys have on them. I can't remember if we have the 3lb hooks or the 5lb hooks.

I think the key is not to put it up too high so that the kids aren't pulling anything down off them (if this makes sense).

Ours have only been up a few weeks, so I can't speak for longterm use, but hey, they are really cheap, so if they suck, it was only like $4 wasted. They seem really sturdy, though. I would be surprised if they don't last.

gobadgers
03-02-2011, 07:43 PM
If you want I can take a pic of them right now, with what my boys have on them. I can't remember if we have the 3lb hooks or the 5lb hooks.

I think the key is not to put it up too high so that the kids aren't pulling anything down off them (if this makes sense).

Ours have only been up a few weeks, so I can't speak for longterm use, but hey, they are really cheap, so if they suck, it was only like $4 wasted. They seem really sturdy, though. I would be surprised if they don't last.

Thanks! I just might try these. It's just not a big risk if they don't work - and if they do work, great!

essnce629
03-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Oops, double post.

essnce629
03-03-2011, 06:05 AM
I like the wall mounted hook rails. We have one similar to this one that we got at Target for around the same price:

http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Hardware-RULR64J-ESN-L1-27-Inch-Espresso/dp/B0033AHKNE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1299146520&sr=1-2

It's very strong and I often have one or two diaper bags hanging off it plus DS1's fully loaded backpack plus all the reusable bags that need to go back in the car.

WatchingThemGrow
03-03-2011, 06:13 AM
We have something from Lowe's like the one just above - in white for $16.xx. We have one up high for adults, one about waist high for the DC. My 4yo can hang hers, but my 3.5 yo can't quite do it by himself. We also put a PBK canvas wall-bucket way below the coat hook board for hats and gloves. It's funny because we are always overflowing that area. Each DC has a winter coat, a fleece, and a lightweight coat, plus a raincoat which is WAY too much for the one rack. Although I'm a fan of 3M hooks (huge fan!) I feel like the wall-mounted coat rack hooks give you more hooks b/c they have 2 prongs.