PDA

View Full Version : Stress-Relief Help

lizzywednesday
03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
I am a working mom with an almost-1-year-old DD, an out-of-work-but-trying-to-start-a-business DH, a two-day WOH/three-day WAH arrangement with a job I've been at for 10 years, a concert with my h.s. alumni chorus at CARNEGIE HALL on Memorial Day (requiring weekly rehearsals in my hometown 1.5 hours away) and several upcoming social obligations.

I loathe my job, feel like I never have any downtime because I'm either working, driving or doing baby-related stuff. (Honestly, the chorus rehearsals actually DO count as downtime because, although I am working to learn some really challenging music, I am completely stress-free there because I've missed it so.)

I am hoping to start exercising again soon because the weather is getting better, so it'll be easier to be outside.

However, I am still strung out exhausted. I came upstairs the other night at 7:30p because I was d.o.n.e. and faced a 5am wakeup with DD to drive to the office & DH complained it was too early to put DD to bed and accused me of becoming an old woman with the early-to-bed stuff. (I have some choice words for that, but just stopped speaking to him for the rest of the night. Not the best way to handle it, but, if I'm already cranky, I'm not exactly assertive.)

Are there small tricks to getting some time to decompress? Like little mini-breaks that would help ease things for a little bit so I could react like a human being and not a grouch. I think that even a mama-and-baby yoga video would work (I have plenty of adult yoga videos) because then I could do something constructive with DD rather than what she's done all day with DH.

pinkmomagain
03-02-2011, 06:33 PM
What about putting the baby in the stroller and taking her for a walk when your work day has ended? It's definetly getting more pleasant here in the NE...you'd be surprised how comfortable it is when you dress right and start moving. I find the key is to exercise and be outdoors (even better if you can get some daylight). Doesn't have to be long...even a 15 min walk.

Another idea is listening to music you really love while you work. Listening to podcasts or audiobooks during your drive times to kind of get you out of your own head.

Sounds like you really could benefit from getting into bed earlier. This week I've been going up to bed much earlier than usual and feeling so much better during the day. Maybe encourage DH to come up to bed a little earlier too. Snuggle, watch a movie together.