PDA

View Full Version : Non-food consumable gifts

Pear
03-02-2011, 06:09 PM
My parents have declared that they are old and their house is full. They want consumable gifts.

My Dad's birthday is next week and he is on an incredibly strict diet program run through the hospital. Food gifts are out unless I send him a box of vegetables. Mmm, have some birthday kale. He would not be amused.

BabbyO
03-02-2011, 06:15 PM
What about something like super-soft facial tissue with a twist. Wrap the box in butcher's paper (cut out the hole in the top to get the tissue) and have the kids decorate it?

Does your dad have a favorite shaving lotion or soap? I know that kinda sounds girly, but I know we gave FIL a barber's brush and nice shave soap one year and he loved it...and it is consummable.

Funny toilet paper??? Ok, I'm starting to reach here...

Twoboos
03-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Do they have any hobbies? Movie Tix? Museum membership? Magazine subscription? Netflix subscription? Flower of the month club? Do they garden - gardening supplies/gift cert?

Boy, that's more ideas than I can usually come up with when I need to get someone a gift! :wink2:

BabbyO
03-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Do they have any hobbies? Movie Tix? Museum membership? Magazine subscription? Netflix subscription? Flower of the month club? Do they garden - gardening supplies/gift cert?

Boy, that's more ideas than I can usually come up with when I need to get someone a gift! :wink2:

Ohh...I like much better than my ideas! :)

candaceb
03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
MIL has been in the same situation for several years. We have found that she really appreciates it if we give her some sort of activity with one or both of us - like when we were on vacation, I went on a kayak tour with her. DH takes her out to lunch when we're in town and she is all over that because he doesn't often take time to talk to her.

mackmama
03-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Would he like tickets to a play or a show? If you live near your dad, how about a birthday lunch or dinner with him or something you could do together?

Pear
03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
The big hobby is fishing, some hunting. They live on a lake in a remote area some don't see them more than once a year. My Dad is also into movies and video games.

ohsara430
03-02-2011, 06:39 PM
What about a Netflix subscription or redbox gift card?

mackmama
03-02-2011, 06:39 PM
I second the Netflix idea. Or how about getting him a DVR, Wii, or a Roku player? Or maybe he'd like some more flies (if he fly-fishes) or some new waders?

misshollygolightly
03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
An annual pass to his state parks? Renew his fishing or hunting permit for him? Order him a nice tree? Make a donation in his name to a cause he supports (including, perhaps, the National Wildlife Fund, as he sounds outdoorsy)? A guided fishing excursion? Fly-tying equipment or lessons, if he likes fly fishing?

ETA: How about a subscription to a hunting or fishing magazine?