PDA

View Full Version : If you flat iron your hair...

elektra
03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
..do you always blow dry it straight first?
I rarely "do" my hair but I am going somewhere tonight and want my hair to look semi nice but I already washed it and let it air dry this morning.
The only times I have ever flat ironed my hair is right after I have just blow dried it straight.
Do you think it would work to flat iron it later even though it was only air dried and not blow dried?
My hair is wavy/frizzy if that matters.

MSWR0319
03-02-2011, 07:36 PM
I have a similar hair texture and have flat ironed it after letting it air dry. I find you have to use a higher setting and do smaller strands to get it to look nice after it gets wavy. It takes longer but is do-able.

cvanbrunt
03-02-2011, 07:41 PM
If you have time for a quick trip to the drugstore, get a John Frieda Frizz-Ease spray called Heat Protect Straight or something to that effect. Spray it on dry hair and my hair is stick straight.

HonoluluMom
03-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I've found that if you have a real good flat iron, you don't need to blow dry it. I wake up with bedhead and can iron it straight.

elektra
03-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Well, I think I'm going to give it a shot then! I think my flat iron is pretty good. I bought it from my old hairdresser who said it was a kind that hairdressers use, so if he was telling the truth I guess it's at least a better than average one.

katydid1971
03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I've found that if you have a real good flat iron, you don't need to blow dry it. I wake up with bedhead and can iron it straight.
:yeahthat:

npace19147
03-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Make sure you use some kind of heat protectant before flat ironing and you should be fine.

Melbel
03-02-2011, 08:43 PM
My hair is very thick, so I find that it helps to dampen my hair a little and do a super quick blow dry before flat ironing to streamline the process. It is definitely easier if I blow out first, but it is still doable with my ghd flat iron.

dec756
03-02-2011, 09:06 PM
i always air dry my hair overnight and then straighten in the morning. i dont see any reason why you couldn't do that also :) hth

salsah
03-02-2011, 09:17 PM
i do but i get better results when i blow dry first. since having kids, i only do both for special occasions.

arivecchi
03-02-2011, 10:43 PM
I always blow dry first.

Have fun tonight!

DrSally
03-02-2011, 10:44 PM
I let it air dry or do a messy blow dry first. My hair is too seriously thick and long to sit and blow dry straight. My arm would fall off.

DrSally
03-02-2011, 10:46 PM
If you have time for a quick trip to the drugstore, get a John Frieda Frizz-Ease spray called Heat Protect Straight or something to that effect. Spray it on dry hair and my hair is stick straight.

Really? So, it protects (with the silicones, I suspect), but also helps make hair straighter? Does it feel heavy or leave a sticky/heavy residue?