PDA

View Full Version : For fun- When did your child become a sports fan

mommylamb
03-02-2011, 08:25 PM
More and more, DS is becoming DH's little clone. They look so much alike, it's kind of scary. DH is a huge Manchester United fan and DS (3.5 years) now loves to watch football/soccer with him. DS insists on wearing his Manchester football kit and will run around the room pretending to tackle and slide. He just loves it. Tonight at dinner, DS announced "We don't like Liverpool, the Scousers," which is kind of funny to hear coming from a kid with an American accent. He knows all the players, and this morning in the car on the way to daycare he was telling us what number each player has on his jersey. Really, he knew them all.

We watch soccer all the time here (exclusively), but if DS is with my father, he loves to watch whatever sport is on the TV. The other day, a rugby game came on after the soccer game finished and DS was entranced. He's even interested in cricket.

So, how old were your kids when they got into sports/supporting a team? I wasn't a big sports fan growing up, so it's all new to me.

Twoboos
03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Well, I wouldn't call them sports fans, but DDs are "forced" to watch Patriots games during football season. They know our favorite players and will sometimes yell at the tv with us for particularly good/bad plays. :cheerleader1: But mostly, they're not too interested.

I would like to get them more into sports. I think going to a sporting event is really fun. I'd like to get them to a Red Sox game this year, but they are so expensive. Maybe picking up some tix after the 5th inning one weekend.

I am way more of a sports fan than DH, and I only watch the headlines. But I like knowing what's up with our home teams! Hopefully DDs will have at least a passing knowledge of sports, so I can know I raised 'em right. :wink2:

larig
03-02-2011, 09:44 PM
DS at 2.5 isn't yet, but I'm following a friend's lead and trying my hand at convincing him my alma mater's basketball team is awesome (well not so much this year, but ...). She has her son convinced to like our team over her DHs. ;-) I buy him shirts with my school's name and he has a pair of see kai run shoes simply because they are my alma mater's colors (they're SO cute on him). I'm a HUGE college basketball fan (to the point of staying home all day on Thurs & Fri of NCAA tournament, but really DH could care less about sports. Sometimes he'll watch his alma mater's football team, but they've been terrible lately. He's a total fair weather fan.

TwinFoxes
03-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, DDs who are speech delayed, have been saying "touchdown!" since football season...2009! They also say "Go Bears" (Cal, not Chicago), "Go Bolts! (Chargers), and "Go Lions!". DH is trying to get them to chant "Let's go Red Wings!" but no luck...so far. :) They do NOT like NASCAR, despite DHs best efforts (thank goodness!)

WolfpackMom
03-02-2011, 09:53 PM
DS started doing the touchdown signal at 11 months, so I am counting that! :P

ETA I forgot, he also mimicks doing the Wolfpack sign with his hands but can't quite do it correctly yet, his hands are too small, he just opens and closes his fists instead when you say "Wolfpack!"

JBaxter
03-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Nathan likes soccer but LOVES to watch football. It clicked at about 6. DH is a Fresno St & Georgia college football fan ( alumni of both) he follows the Raiders, Logan - Eagles , Connor- Jets Now Nathan the Steelers
Football season gets a bit radical at the Baxter house.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/jeanaspictures/superbowl012.jpg

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Ds1- still waiting. :)

Ds2- it hit hot and heavy by the time he was 2 but he always showed an interest in sporting events before that.

Beth

maybeebaby08
03-02-2011, 11:23 PM
In the womb? When I was pregnant DD would kick like crazy during every Pats game (and she wasn't a super active baby in womb), and since birth she'd sit through a whole football game and happily watch the Pats. She loves anything and everything Patriots and hockey too.

crl
03-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Last year dh took ds to a post season Giants baseball game (not the first game ds had gone to)--ds was 6. The Giants won and went on to play in and win the World Series. DS was really excited and followed all the games. We will see if that spills over into this year.

Catherine