PDA

View Full Version : If you have had renovations done on your house....

pinkmomagain
03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
have you left the workmen in your house alone?

This may seem like a stupid question, since I'd imagine 2 WOH parents must do this....but we are having work done in the house and I'm a SAHM and a bit aprehensive.

I'll normally make sure I'm staying home, but I'm imagining that sometimes there will be times I have to run out to drive/pick up the kids after school. I know that most of the time workers come early and leave early, but I'm anticipating an occasional conflict.

Are you comfortable leaving workers in the house?

ThreeofUs
03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I know our workers personally and for years and years, so yes.

Someone I don't know? Not a chance.

wellyes
03-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Yes, of course. We vacated the premises when we had our floors redone. Insured and bonded contractors.

mctlaw
03-02-2011, 09:08 PM
My DH and I differed on this. I was willing to not be around, he was insistent that someone be in the house.

jgenie
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
We've had the same crew here off and on for the last four years working on different projects. The first time they were here I moved jewelry / documents to one room and locked it. The last time they were here I was expecting DS2 and planned to leave DS1 with our contractor until someone could come pick DS1 up if I went into labor while they were working. :) I think if you'll be home most of the time you should be fine. You'll be back quickly and at varying times.

egoldber
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
We had people redo several floors in our house last year. DH mainly works from home, but he did have to take the kids to school and meet clients occasionally, so the workmen were left alone occasionally.

lilycat88
03-02-2011, 09:38 PM
We did but, while we didn't know them when we started, they were friends with a lot of our friends and had done a lot of work for them. Actually, I was on bedrest at home during our remodel and I just left a key out and they came in and started while I was still asleep. Eventually, the noise would wake me up and I'd get up, take a quick shower and go down to say hi before getting back in bed.

DebbieJ
03-03-2011, 12:50 AM
My worker is my dad. So, yes. He has a key, too. :)

crl
03-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Yes, I have left workers alone in the house.

Catherine

fumofu
03-03-2011, 01:45 AM
My parents are always in the house when they have someone over to do a job. They don't display anything expensive, but have had knick knacks stolen from the house. I think this happened when the master bath had to have some tiles replaced.