PDA

View Full Version : My DS is chewing on everything like a puppy dog WWYD

blue
03-03-2011, 02:27 AM
I don't think my ds is a real boy, but a puppy dog in a toddler costume. For the past few weeks he has been chewing on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Yes, I even caught him chewing on a pair of my shoes--gross.

DS has gone threw chewing phases before when teething, but lately it has just gotten worse. Plus he is mainly chewing on objects with his front teeth, and he has all of those teeth in already.

I have been giving him generic Tylenol, but I don't want to over use it . Also been hitting the origel (sp) and frozen fruit, ice, etc. The chewing just continues.

Any BTDT or suggestions are welcome. TIA

ETA: DS is 20 months old in case that makes any difference in replies

boilermakermom
03-03-2011, 02:42 AM
How old is he? Is he actually teething, or is it a sensory issue? My niece went through something similar with picking her nose.

blue
03-03-2011, 03:00 AM
How old is he? Is he actually teething, or is it a sensory issue? My niece went through something similar with picking her nose.

DS is 20 months old. I have no idea if it is a sensory issue. I think it is teething, but the teeth are already in - which is why I am confused. He seems to prefer to chew on hard or sharp objects - like keys. He has also been hitting his teeth with his hand, picking at them, sucking and chewing on his fingers, and touching the front his mouth saying ouch.

sunshine873
03-03-2011, 08:14 AM
We've kind of been dealing with the same thing around here. DD is 2 yo. I have no experience here, but I wonder if they're getting their 2 yr molars? Maybe it just kind of hurts all along the jaw line & they're trying to soothe the ache somehow. I don't know - that's just what I'm hoping so the chewing will stop some day.

hellokitty
03-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I don't think my ds is a real boy, but a puppy dog in a toddler costume. For the past few weeks he has been chewing on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Yes, I even caught him chewing on a pair of my shoes--gross.

DS has gone threw chewing phases before when teething, but lately it has just gotten worse. Plus he is mainly chewing on objects with his front teeth, and he has all of those teeth in already.

I have been giving him generic Tylenol, but I don't want to over use it . Also been hitting the origel (sp) and frozen fruit, ice, etc. The chewing just continues.

Any BTDT or suggestions are welcome. TIA

ETA: DS is 20 months old in case that makes any difference in replies

OMG, I could have posted this same exact post, except DS3 is 19 mo old! I think he is teething right now, b/c he is very snotty and has been getting a diaper rash (not related to anything he's eaten). I just keep taking things away from him, and trying to offer him something cold to eat or drink. That seems to help.

blue
03-04-2011, 02:47 AM
We've kind of been dealing with the same thing around here. DD is 2 yo. I have no experience here, but I wonder if they're getting their 2 yr molars? Maybe it just kind of hurts all along the jaw line & they're trying to soothe the ache somehow. I don't know - that's just what I'm hoping so the chewing will stop some day.

Maybe DS is getting his two year molars. I completely forgot about those :duh:. I hope that's what it is, if not, he really is turning into a puppy dog :p.