PDA

View Full Version : At what age would you have DD RSVP herself?

ncat
03-03-2011, 06:18 AM
DD's best friend from school is having a birthday party. DD is 6 and I think it would be good for her to work on her phone skills. I would like her to call her friend to RSVP for the party. I remember calling friends and making playdates (except we never called them that) when I was 6. DD is resistant.

Am I being unreasonable? She won't even role play to practice a phone call.

BeachBum
03-03-2011, 07:39 AM
My DS is 5 and thrilled when he gets to call friends...mostly like you are doing RSVP and invitations to come play.
We do let him call grandparents, Aunts, and Daddy (at work) when he has something to tell them. He does need to ask permission, although I find him calling daddy to ask for popsicles.

If she is nervous about calling her friend, maybe practice with other people or even with you on your cell phone?

Percycat
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
My DD (6) and DS (8) haven't RSVP'd for a party before and I am not sure when that will begin. DS is very good at calling grandparents and a few others to carry on a conversation, so I expect he would be quite capable calling to RSVP. DD is inconsistent with phone conversations and I wouldn't put her in that situation with respect to an invitation from outside our family.

I will say that we received our first RSVP from a child to DS's birthday party this year. The friend is in 3rd grade and RSVP'd via e-mail. I was impressed by her manners in her communications, but also uncomfortable having the dialogue with a child. I copied her mother on all of my replies (we exchanged a couple e-mails).

As a party host, I would want confirmation that you were in agreement with the response to an invitation to a party made by your DD.