PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's baby not pointing at 11 months?

pinkflamingo
03-03-2011, 12:28 PM
She is reaching with her whole arm, she is waving sometimes, clapping a ton. Lots of big smiles. Babbling. Not consistently saying HI but does sometimes.
Not pointing... I am so nervous.
By the way, I measured her head (my last post) and the nurse's measurement was off. She didnt have a giant brain growth afterall.

ohsara430
03-03-2011, 12:30 PM
My DD is 13 months and doesn't really point at things, took her to the dr. on Tuesday for check-up and dr. didn't seem concerned. Ask at your 1 year well-baby visit if you are concerned.

ETA: DD claps, waves, signs all done and blows kisses at this point.

WolfpackMom
03-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Mine did not until the last couple of weeks (he is now 13 months). Prior to that he would just try and get whatever he wanted himself. He still doesn't like specifically point to items like "give me that" or anything but if we ask where something is he will point to it (maybe 50% of the time).

Don't fret yet!

brittone2
03-03-2011, 12:32 PM
If she's making the other gestures that's a reassuring thing for sure!

My DS1 didn't wave or point until he was a little over a year, which made me a tiny bit worried as a first time mom (having worked in early intervention). He did plenty of other things though that were reassuring and I knew he was okay overall.

Waving, plus a word, interacting with others by saying "hi" are all super reassuring and she sounds like she's doing great! You obviously should talk to your doc if you have any other concerns but that all sounds great to me.

DS2 is 11 months and points at everything and waves but doesn't say "hi" yet. He points way more than I remember my older two pointing. They've all been a little different.

eta: with these things you really have to look at the big picture...how do they interact with you socially, are they communicating in other ways, etc. and it sounds like she's got all that down pretty well :) And gosh, we've had so many inaccurate measurements at the doc through the years it isn't even funny. One of my kids supposedly had their head circumference drop waaay down on the percentiles (my kids have all had big heads). Remeasured at home and the nurse was drastically off. Understandable with a squirmy baby I guess :) I try not to really ever give that too much weight without rechecking or if you need to, ask for a remeasure to reassure yourself :)

BabyBearsMom
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
My DD is almost 11 months and isn't pointing. I'm not worried about it. I don't read parenting books or check her to milestones. I am a firm believer that since she seems happy and does fine at her well baby check ups, she is fine. My philosophy is that she will do what she needs to do when she is ready to do it. So long as she seems happy and your pedi isn't concerned with her development, I wouldn't freak out.

pinkflamingo
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
thanks you guys. I am trying to be okay about this. its hard to see her not doing what she should be now.

dec756
03-03-2011, 12:38 PM
my son just started pointing at 14 ish months...i am pretty sure this is 'normal'

♥ms.pacman♥
03-03-2011, 12:39 PM
as PP said, i wouldn't fret at all, especially if she does other things (waving, babbling, etc). my DS started pointing from an early age, but he's almost 14 months and still does not wave hi or bye at all, and only very recently has he started to say "bye bye" when someone leaves (he has never said "hi" when seeing someone). i'm not worried though because he seems ok in other areas of social interaction. i agree with brittone2 you really have to just look at the "big picture" and see how they interact socially overall, and it sounds like your DD is doing great! :)

tmahanes
03-03-2011, 12:41 PM
B is 1 and does not point. He goes and gets what he wants or he holds his whole hand out. My ped wasn't concerned about it.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

pinkflamingo
03-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys!! :) :applause: :yay: will keep you updated! Anyone's child not pointed by one with absolutely no other signs that ended up ASD or anything? Please tell me I have nothing to worry about.

WolfpackMom
03-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys!! :) :applause: :yay: will keep you updated! Anyone's child not pointed by one with absolutely no other signs that ended up ASD or anything? Please tell me I have nothing to worry about.

You're over analyzing, and thats OK, because I do the same exact thing. I really I don't think you need to worry.

sste
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Are you sure your baby is not pointing? It sounds like your baby is using her arm/hand rather than her finger but that she is pointing (what you describe as reaching out for things).

I think I had one of the most delayed children on this board who later turned out to be neuro- typical. My DS did not point, talk, respond to his name, engage in varied-sound babbling etc. at sixteen months! The possibility was seriously raised by his evaluators of whether he was mentally handicapped since his delays were global and pretty severe (speech, cognitive, physical). However, he was always very social and very, very interested in what HE wanted to do. Also, I don't think he had a huge motivation to point . . . the minute his eyes flickered in a given direction, his very loving nanny rushed to get him x or y (she was almost eery in anticipating his wants).

Anyway, we did EI and when we phased out of the program when DS was 2.75 we had an evaluation done and he was not only normal but measuring close to a year ahead on many aspects of cognitive and speech (he was still klutzy but actually that improved dramatically too when we got him glasses). I am still a worry-wart about and always checking in to see if where is at in various things is where he should be . . . but, really it all turned out better than fine.

brittone2
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM

If you are worried, talk with your doc. I think this is one of those situations where unless you've really seen kids who are not neurotypical, it is tough to understand where the concern over these milestones comes from. The non neurotypical kid would likely have several other "red flag" issues that would draw attention to there being developmental concerns.

It really is largely a big picture issue. Not pointing in and of itself at 11 months is not a big deal. When you start to see several other concerning behaviors and the child isn't hitting other social milestones, it is a bigger concern (and still can be normal, it just raises more flags). Not pointing when a child is saying hi, waving, gesturing toward things w/ a whole arm/hand, etc. really doesn't sound at all concerning, but you should speak to your ped if you really need to feel reassured. Sounds a-OK to me though :)