PDA

View Full Version : Remodeling-windows WWYD

BabbyO
03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
We have a 1960's Ranch home. Most of the homes in our portion of the subdivision look VERY similar.

We are planning to get some of the windows replaced because they are original to the house and we're loosing lots of heat and cool air through them.

Our living room has 3 large windows that only open 25% on the bottom for ventilation. These windows face the street and the front door is just to the north of them. On the south wall of the living room there is a pretty big (but not quite as large as the other windows) double hung window.

Anyway we are debating on getting either:
A) a Bay window - This runs about $1500 more than option B and we would probably skip replacing 2 of the other windows in the house (bathroom) until next year.
B) a casement window with a larger 50% picture window in the center and two 25% windows on either side that crank open. (think the same proportions as the bay window, but flat).

What else...well, the walk in front of our house kinda curves and there is a small flower garden/shrubs in front of window, that might lend itself to showcasing a bay window nicely.

WWYD? I don't think we'll be looking to re-sell anytime soon but maybe in the future.

Poll coming...and pictures if I can figure it out!

BabbyO
03-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Ok, here's the house (the grassy area between the walk and the house is now landscaped with flowers and small shrubs. No grass)

The bay option - (ours will probably have white of off white trim)

The Casement/Picture option.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to get them to display in the message.

lhafer
03-03-2011, 02:33 PM
I chose bay because it will add to the look of both the interior and exterior of your home. It will make a little different than the rest of the homes in your house, and I just like bay windows!

pinkmomagain
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't love bay windows for some reason and certainly not for $1500 more. I don't know....they seem dated to me.

I have something similar to option B except the 2 windows on the either side of the picture window are double hung not crank out. I'm really happy with my similar window.

AnnieW625
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I voted for Casement option. I personally don't care for bay windows on 1950s houses unless they originally had them or it was a total tear down and you put one in; they just don't look right, esp. at the front of the house. I would do all of the windows at the same time it just looks more uniform IMHO.

KLD313
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Casements, they look better with a ranch. I don't like bays for some reason.

BabbyO
03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
I chose bay because it will add to the look of both the interior and exterior of your home. It will make a little different than the rest of the homes in your house, and I just like bay windows!

I should have mentioned that 3 of our neighbors (1 next to us and 2 across the street) have replaced their original windows with bay windows. We wouldn't look all that different from them.

truly scrumptious
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
We were just in the exact same situation - we had a large window that needed replacing and were trying to decide between a bay window and the regular picture/casement combo.

I personally LOVE bay windows, but we just couldn't justify the extra cost. Especially because it is purely an aesthetic choice, so you're unlikely to recover much of it when you (eventually) sell. So we went with the casement.

Unless the bay window will significantly increase your quality of life (e.g. you'll finally be able to have a little reading nook by the window, cultivate the herbs you've always wanted to, it'll make the room significantly brighter, etc.) it probably isn't worth the extra $$$.

HIU8
03-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I voted bay b/c I really like the way they look (and I've always wanted one with a bench seat below it). However, for $1500 extra I might forgo it and just get the casement window.

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-03-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't really like bay windows either. I don't mind them if the whole wall bumps out, but just having the widow protruding from the house is not really a favorite of mine. I like the casement window a lot.

As a buyer, the bay window would probably turn me off. I really don't like the look that much. :o