PDA

View Full Version : Toothpaste question--any dentists?

sariana
03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Does it matter if my DC's toothpaste does not have an ADA stamp? Why would it not have one? Does that mean the ADA does not approve of it or just that Oral-B didn't go through a process to get approval? The sodium fluoride content is the same as in the Kids' Crest, which does have the stamp.

DS is starting to lose his teeth, so I want to make sure the new permanent teeth are getting brushed well with the right kind of toothpaste. He and his sister like the character kinds from Oral-B, which I always thought was a good brand. But they don't have anything about ADA approval on them.

sariana
03-03-2011, 07:44 PM
No one? Really?

smiles33
03-03-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't know the answer to this at all but thought I'd post that there have been studies on the efficacy of toothpastes. DH (who is an orthodontist) insisted on Colgate Total about 10 years ago when he was in dental school after reviewing tons of studies about toothpastes (which might show something different these days).

Kymberley
03-03-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't think it matters much. I can't remember the process of getting the ADA seal of approval, but as long as it has fluoride and the child is actually brushing his/her teeth well it should be fine. If it makes you feel better, I'm a dental hygienist too and I'm using a non-ADA approved xyiltol gel with DS.

ett
03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I don't know the answer to this at all but thought I'd post that there have been studies on the efficacy of toothpastes. DH (who is an orthodontist) insisted on Colgate Total about 10 years ago when he was in dental school after reviewing tons of studies about toothpastes (which might show something different these days).

... which I avoid because they contain Triclosan.

daisymommy
03-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Companies have to pay large sums of money to get that endorsement stamp added to their product. Same goes for the American Heart Association stamp, and other things like that. So it could be every bit as good as Crest or Colgate, but they didn't want to shell out the money for something that amounts to marketing.

sariana
03-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Companies have to pay large sums of money to get that endorsement stamp added to their product. Same goes for the American Heart Association stamp, and other things like that. So it could be every bit as good as Crest or Colgate, but they didn't want to shell out the money for something that amounts to marketing.

I suspected it might be something like this.

Thank you for all the replies!