PDA

View Full Version : Job Offer WWYD-Long

kdeunc
03-03-2011, 03:13 PM
UPDATE: Thanks for all your advice. I ended up declining Job A. Ultimately it would have created too much chaos in my household during the next 6 weeks. I felt that it wouldn't be fair to the company to have to work around my fairly complicated short term schedule while trying to pull off their major events. It also wouldn't have been fair to my family. Thanks again for offering suggestions!

I could use some outside perspective. Some background…I have been looking for work since June. I want to go back to work and it will definitely help with some financial issues but it is not imperative that I go to work today. DH does not have a flexible schedule. He leaves for work at 6am and returns at 5:30 no other option. I have had multiple interviews with two organizations and now have an offer in hand and am having serious questions about what to do.

Job A made an offer today. It is for the absolute minimum salary that I can accept and justify childcare and other expenses involved. It is a fundraising, event position, getting ready to go into their primary season with three major events scheduled in the next 8 weeks. The pay is low but the benefits are OK. I would be working from home with pretty extensive local travel and some travel out of the area (state and regional meeting maybe 1/quarter). The job is flexible in that my schedule is my own and I don’t have to be at my desk from 8-5. For the next few months it will be very stressful trying to get up to speed in the middle of event season.

Job B has not made an offer. I have had three interviews for the position. The organization is temporarily on hold with the position but thinks they will be given the go-ahead to move forward in a couple of weeks. The position would be a fundraising, non-event position. It would be working in an office. The organization is known for being family friendly and there would be some flexibility, comp time etc. There would be local travel but should not be outside the region. The absolute minimum starting salary would be $14,000 more than job A (and more in line with where I think I should be) and the benefits are just as good. It would not be as flexible time wise as Job A.

WWYD?? I need to accept or decline Job A by tomorrow. I am torn between taking a known thing or rolling the dice on something that might not happen.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

wencit
03-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Eek, that's a hard one. Have you already tried negotiating with Job A to see if they will increase your salary a bit?

AnnieW625
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I am not an HR expert and have not had a job interview in 7/1/2 yrs. so I don't know if this is sound advice or not, but I would probably decline A and wait and see if job B works out. I would also start applying at other companies in case job B doesn't end up working out.

SpaceGal
03-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Wow that's a hard call. $14K is a lot of money but flexible schedule is a big thing too. I can see why you are torn.

But if you are not in a rush...take a chance on Job B. And like PP still look around.

egoldber
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Do you have family in the area? What are your child care arrangements? Given your DH's inflexibility, you need to be flexible on your end or have arrangements so that you can be flexible. It sounds very stressful to me personally.

WolfpackMom
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Let me know which one you turn down so I can apply? ;) Just kidding (a little)

Thats a tough one, what does your gut tell you? Do you think you are a shoe-in for Job B? Do you think they will get the funding for the position or will it continue to be pushed out pending approval?

For Job A, is that the absolute minimum once you will accept when you also include the times you have to travel, the gas and mileage involved. When you run these events will the childcare involved go beyond daycare and into evening event hours and if so did you factor that cost in? Are there other perks to this job and it permanent, or when fundraising season dies down will you be scrambling again?

In either position, is the fund development position stable or will it be a struggle to find funders annually not only for the organization but to fund your own role? Which organization has a larger base network? Which organization's mission/strategic goals are your own personal goals more in line with?

Just some things to think about when weighing your options...

ThreeofUs
03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Call Job B and tell them you have an offer from Job A, but that you're more attracted to Job B. See what they can do.

kdeunc
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the advice! To answer some questions...

Job A is offering me near the top of their hiring range(within a couple hundred dollars).

I don't think I am a shoo in for Job B but with 3 interviews I feel confident that I am firmly in the running and I left the interviews feeling like the supervisor really liked me.

Both organizations are stable and I would not be grant funded or raising my own salary (been there done that:rolleye0014:)

My childcare options are really concerning as we have no family in town but do have friends I could rely on in a pinch.

I think thinking about it is more stressful than actually looking for the job! You guys are helpiing me flesh things out! :)

egoldber
03-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Child care is the single most stressful part of working for me. I don't know what you plan to do, but it needs to be flexible. And what will you do when kids get sick, doctor visits, etc. I think older DD's orthodontistry is going to kill me with all the time I have had to take off for mandatory appointments that have to be spaced at certain intervals.

WatchingThemGrow
03-03-2011, 03:40 PM
How are things with your family? Anyone sick a lot, do you need the flexibility to do school stuff for the DC, etc? Would you be EXCITED to jump in and get started working in job A or is it just "meh" for you?

spunkybaby
03-03-2011, 03:45 PM
How much vacation time does your DH have? How much sick leave? How much vacation/sick leave will you get?

The good thing about your DH being home by 5:30 every day is that he could do the childcare pickup. But if you have no family nearby and if your DH does not have much time off, I don't see how you would be able to manage the necessary travel for Job A. (Perhaps your family members would fly in to help take care of the kids?)

How far away is the office for Job B? What are your childcare plans for Job A and Job B?

Do you need benefits? Or would you be better off looking for a position that is more flexible, higher pay, but no benefits if you are covered by DH?

kdeunc
03-04-2011, 10:47 AM
update in original post. Thanks again!