PDA

View Full Version : Is it insane to fly with a BOB Duallie? Help me decide if I should buy something!

scriptkitten
03-03-2011, 08:09 PM
We are flying to FL in a few weeks.

I would love to have my BOB Duallie with me for running, beach and outdoor activities.

However, its a trunk hog (my inlaws have a RAV4 and FJ Cruiser so it's not out of the question) and its rather large for a gate checked stroller. I also wouldn't feel comfortable without bagging it for the airlines. Luckily, Arivecchi helped me out and found a MB Triple Jogging Stroller bag for $13 that I can use for whatever SBS double I take if I want to protect it.

I have a P&T Vibe and a travel bag but the bag is a PITA and its not the best Florida stroller due to the lack of a back seat sunshade.

My other option is to buy something new.

I hate Mac doubles. Had a Twin Techno and sold it. Its lucky I didn't burn it at the stake. I'm a push snob and two handlebars doesn't cut it on a double.

The BJMCD is the obvious choice even tho I can't run with it.. my in-laws can watch the kids while I run, so whatever.

However, if I buy a new one, I'll have to bag it to preserve resale value. I'd honestly prefer a used one so I don't have to worry about it or bag it but I can't find one on my CL. They are just too popular here so they are never on CL.

There is also the Valco Latitude, but its heavier and I assume resale wouldn't be as good if they aren't popular here?

Am I missing anything? I want a one handlebar, lighter-weight double that is compact and easy to fold. It needs to have good canopies and the outdoor push needs to be manageable with 2.5 year old twins.

What would you do? Travel with the BOB beast? Or find a way to justify the BJCMD even tho it isn't super exciting.

I wish the Duet was out already. I would justify it by getting rid of my VIBE because at 25" wide it would actually be usable on PT and be narrower than the VIBE.

liamsmom
03-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Where are you going in FL? Maybe you could rent something down there? Do your in-laws live down there? Maybe they could pick up a CL find for you--and you can leave it there.

I don't know if you'd want to fly with your BOB. What if it got damaged? I've seen people with all sorts of strollers at the airport though. P&Ts and Bugaboo.

I think a gently used BJCMD would be perfect, FWIW.

scriptkitten
03-03-2011, 08:46 PM
My inlaws have a craptastic graco sbs that is 10yrs old. The fact that I refuse to use it is a family joke.

In all seriousness my primary need for a stroller is chaos control in the airport so renting won't work

Kaylee31
03-03-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't think it's insane, but I'd worry that something might happen to the BOB.
I'd get the BJCMD. I'm sure one of the ladies on here can help you find a good deal on one. ;) Then you can always sell it later and get most, if not all of your money back. I take it the Micro double is not an option because the canopy is too small? It would be a good compromise since it's so cheap. http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger-city-micro-double-stroller-in-kiwi.html?utm_source=Google_Products&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts
Or, I would just get a beater double jogger w/a big canopy (like an MBUD or this: http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bab/2239116793.html ) that I didn't really care what happened to it. Then just use it for travel or leave it in FL.

WatchingThemGrow
03-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I'd take the BOB. We use our air tire strollers happily strolling all over FL - zoo, beach, walking trails, outlets, and this time we're taking it to WDW. It's just too pretty outside to NOT have it. I was bummed that we had our BJCMD last time b/c it kept us from exploring beautiful places near my mom's house. And a walk on the beach at night when DC are tired...priceless.

purpelina
03-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Couple of thoughts:
Seems that you really want the bob at your destination. Since you have the travel bag, you could take the bob with you, and check in with the rest of the luggage.

Depending on your traveling arrangements (are you going solo wit kids, or is your dh with you, do you have a non stop flight and at what time, maybe other things will come to mind), how about TWO lightweight singles? Say a mac and a uppa, or two macs or any other combo. If there will be 2 adults, this might be a good solution. if you hated twin mac, you will hate any other "small" double, and rightfully so. Single macs might be an answer. You have time to find a good deal, and you can easily sell them after your trip.

Also, city mini double, while great stroller, might not be very good travel / airport stroller, since it's a double. Some members here traveled with a single, but some thought, even a single is a bit too cumbersome at the airport (myself included), so a double might be more trouble than it's worth...

And one more option (that might not work at all either, but I'm throwing it out there just to reflect on): one lightweight single stroller with a buggy board for the airport. I don't know if your children will be up to taking turns in the stroller and step on board, if they will stay there and not overly tired etc. I wouldn't use this arrangement for a long international flight with a long delay between connection flights (my case), but for a non stop flight to florida that might be an option.

arivecchi
03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I would take the bob in the bag or purchase a cheap used AT double. I have seen lots of doubles at o'hare. I would gate check it.

scriptkitten
03-03-2011, 11:40 PM
I'd take the BOB. We use our air tire strollers happily strolling all over FL - zoo, beach, walking trails, outlets, and this time we're taking it to WDW. It's just too pretty outside to NOT have it. I was bummed that we had our BJCMD last time b/c it kept us from exploring beautiful places near my mom's house. And a walk on the beach at night when DC are tired...priceless.

You are talking me into spending my stroller money on a new summer wardrobe :)

When I told dd I might buy a new stroller she looked sad and said "I want the BOB". Lol

longamkl
03-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Please tell me where I can find a bag for my Bob duallie for $13! We're also heading to FL in a couple of weeks and I can't imagine travelling without the BOB. We haven't protected it before but we also haven't done this big a trip before (SEA-FLL). I'm scare of the trip (and my DH is terrified) so if there is ANYTHING we can do to make it go more smoothly with our twins two-year-olds, I'd love some input.

scriptkitten
03-03-2011, 11:54 PM
PMed you! ^^

theriviera
03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Take the BOB. I saw tons of BOBs (singles and doubles) the last time I flew. I was surprised but they all seemed to be managing well!

WatchingThemGrow
03-04-2011, 12:07 AM
I would take it with you THROUGH the airport and gate check it. You can sit the DC down at the gate and bag it up there. We pop our wheels off and lay them in the little wheel compartments.

scriptkitten
03-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone. You've all saved me a bunch of money.

I've ordered us all up a round of drinks. It's on me!

vonfirmath
03-04-2011, 10:28 AM
You might call the airlines and make sure they will gate check the BOB duallie. I've started seeing signs the last few times I flew saying that they would gate check "small" strollers.

mrspeachykeen
03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Make sure that you ask for them to hand check the stroller when you go through security. I took my BJCM (not a double) recently and it got stuck in the x-ray machine. I now ask for hand checking on all of my strollers.

tobycat
03-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I have gate check our Chariot jogger with no problems. My husband thought I was crazy, but there was no way I was pushing an umbrella stroller around SF.

scriptkitten
03-04-2011, 02:27 PM
size won't be a problem. i just called the airline.

a bjmcd in great condition just popped up on my CL for $250. hmmmmmmmm

mommyofmaybabies
09-06-2011, 11:19 PM
I am desperately trying to find a travel bag for our brand new Bob duallie stroller to check at the gate. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions? Where is everyone getting a travel bag for $13? Thanks in advance!

jeno
11-30-2011, 09:06 PM
xxxxxxx