PDA

View Full Version : Swaddling a larger child

jiggaman
03-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Didn't know which section this would go in so I put it here, if it should be moved please do so.

Our son likes to be swaddled when sleeping but he's growing bigger. We've moved on from a newborn to small Halo Sleepsack swaddle but the largest they have is a small (the larger sizes don't have the swaddle part). The small goes up to 18 pounds but what about after that? (Although my son is long so I think he'll outgrow it before he reaches 18 pounds)

If your child liked to be swaddled past that size, what did you use? Did you just use a larger blanket to swaddle?

Uno-Mom
03-04-2011, 01:08 AM
The halos do go up to at least a medium. Were you shopping at Babies R Us? They rarely stock the bigger size because most babies stop by then. You might check on line. I did actually find the mediums in the store but I had to dig! Or maybe it was that we got a summer infant swaddler instead, because it was summer and didn't need the fleece halos. I can't remember.

Sprog swaddled much longer. Through the medium size. And after she stopped wanting her arms inside she still liked having the "wings" fastened snug accross her chest under the arms. She's like me - I like to swaddle up in blankets tight, too!

Of course you could always switch to blankets but that kind of wierded me out after avoiding blankets for so long with an infant. Many people swaddle in blankets right from the start, though.

rin
03-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Have you tried Woombies? I've never used them, but have heard really good things about them. I saw them on mamabargains yesterday, and I think they go up to 25 lbs or so.

jellibeans
03-04-2011, 01:21 AM
You could always cut out the bottom so that his feet have room to go. I might have to do this with my dd's miracle blankets!

jiggaman
03-04-2011, 01:45 AM
I think it must've been a summer infant swaddler. I checked online and on the Halo website and it lists swaddles as only going up to a size small. If summer infant goes up to medium we could try that.

I've seen the woombies. For some reason they look kind of strange to me when a child is in them, but then that's what my parents say when they see my child in a sleepsack swaddle, it looks like a straight jacket to them and they think I'm not giving him room to grow. If that's the only option I might go that way.

I also thought about cutting foot holes since the larger sleepsacks have foot holes, just didn't want the sleepsack to ride up in the middle of the night since I'm making my own holes.

Uno-Mom
03-04-2011, 01:47 AM
I'd suggest the summer ones, then. You're right - that is the kind we moved into. I liked them better than the Halo style. The Halos did ride up around her face sometimes. The Summer ones fasten differently, and you can make them a bit snugger if you like. They can't ride up like that, either.

twotimesblue
03-04-2011, 01:49 AM
I only discovered a Woombie when DS was 4 months old and almost ready to stop being swaddled... wish I'd found them earlier! He was a big boy and was definitely most comfortable in the Woombie... we'd tried every other brand on the market but he could break out of all of them, even the Miracle Blanket! They also go up to big sizes and I would definitely use them for the next kiddo

elizabethkott
03-04-2011, 07:44 AM
We use the Summer swaddle for Stevie, and even though he's 6 1/2 months, he STILL wants to be swaddled. And he's no waifish baby... the kiddo is about 19lbs right now, and 29 inches long. GAH!
Totally s/o of the topic here, but how long did you swaddle for? I'm starting to wonder if I need to wean him off the swaddle... but he sleeps so well with it!

kristac
03-04-2011, 08:56 AM
I use a miracle blanket and just leave his feet out of the pouch.

daisymommy
03-04-2011, 09:05 AM
My colicy sensory-challenged first kiddo could only sleep swaddled till he was almost 5 months old!
I bought really large waffle/thermal weave square blankets at some baby store and swaddled him up tight in them.
Snug as a bug in a rug!

mom2khj
03-04-2011, 09:23 AM
DS was a big baby and couldn't be swaddled in regular receiving blankets at around 3 months. I didn't really want to go the sleep sack route, so we ended up with some Aidan & Anais (sp?) blankets. They're much larger and fit him better that he can still use them now at almost 6 months.

KpbS
03-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I use a miracle blanket and just leave his feet out of the pouch.

:yeahthat:

Rarick0
03-04-2011, 12:16 PM
A friend lent us a merlins magic sleepsuit and it works great! The larger size fits up to 21 lbs I think.

jiggaman
03-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I think only swaddling his arms will do. We tried using the aiden & anais blankets but if we don't get it just right he houdini's out of it.

The velcro on the swaddle sleepsacks made it easy.

I'll run by BRU and see if I can see any of the other swaddles in person.

chiisai
03-04-2011, 08:58 PM
We did the miracle blanket with feet out until that was just not working well anymore, then we switched to a double swaddle with a muslin blanket like aden and anais or bambinoland.

And we swaddled until about 9 months with both.

jiggaman
03-04-2011, 11:47 PM
For those that did the miracle blanket with feet out, did the swaddle not ride up at all? I haven't seen a miracle blanket up close so I'm not sure how they work.

I had thought about using the sleepsack swaddle with the legs out but was afraid it might ride up over his face so decided against it. He squirms a lot when sleeping.

mommymy
03-05-2011, 12:11 AM
My DS ins 7.5 months and I still swaddle him. I started with the Aden and Anais blankets and still use that on him. He does break out of it every now and then but b/c of the stretch I find that it's the only blanket that I can use that is big enough for me to swaddle him with. He does protest when I swaddle him but he can't sleep without swaddling. His arms just flail and then he gets hysterical and thus does not sleep without the swaddling. It's like it is a sign for him that he needs to sleep once he is swaddled even though he fights it initially. I too was thinking about weaning him off the swaddle. But then what am I going to do to get him to sleep?