PDA

View Full Version : This made me tear up...

twotimesblue
03-04-2011, 01:48 AM
What an amazing story... imagine what her poor parents had to go through:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3443575/Baby-girl-born-dead-survives-after-doctors-froze-her-for-three-days.html

blue
03-04-2011, 03:31 AM
ETA: Finished reading the article, great story. Thanks for posting

fumofu
03-04-2011, 04:02 AM
No tears, but that's some cool science!

cairo06
03-04-2011, 04:16 AM
wow, that is amazing! Thanks for posting.

scrooks
03-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Oh my! That is absolutely amazing!

elizabethkott
03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Wow. That's just increadible!

LMPC
03-04-2011, 11:15 AM
While I appreciate the story, the Sun is not the most reputable newspaper in the UK...pretty conservative and gossipy. Makes me wonder about the validity of the story. JMO.

sste
03-04-2011, 11:20 AM
I posted about this technology last week in the "pregnancy forum" with a link. It is amazing technology - - brilliant in its simplicity and a great advance. If you are a person that wants to give birth in a hospital with a NICU (or with extremely quick transport to one), then I would DEF. ask whether they have this technology and what their protocol is.

My hospital did have this. We did not need to use it but if DD had been without oxygen for even a few more minutes she probably would have during her NICU stay.

Also, I don't think the story is made up - - I have seen other reports of 20 plus minutes and the baby is OK or minimally impaired if the cooling is used within 6 hours. The "frozen" part is not strictly true but they are cooled to the point where they are blue and very cold to the touch.

pharmjenn
03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Interesting to read about it on newborns. We are doing this for adult patients in the ICU who have a cardiac arrest and strokes, so the idea is not new to me. The human body is just amazing at what it can endur and recover from.

LMPC
03-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Also, I don't think the story is made up - - I have seen other reports of 20 plus minutes and the baby is OK or minimally impaired if the cooling is used within 6 hours. The "frozen" part is not strictly true but they are cooled to the point where they are blue and very cold to the touch.

Sorry, did not mean to insinuate that I thought the story was made up, just that there might be better sources from which to get the story.

sste
03-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Oh, I would def. agree on the source! I just wanted to clarify because the whole thing is so "fantastic" that it DOES seem made-up.

I posted a little blurb from Georgetown Med about their use of this in the pregnancy forum.

I wish tarahsolazy was around because I think she is a NICU doc and she could tell us more. But my impression was that this is very rapidly going to be become "standard of care." I feel like I may have read somewhere about some research on using it on preemies too.