PDA

View Full Version : Rental Question - Air Duct Cleaning Who Pays?

septmama2b
03-04-2011, 09:42 AM
We have lived in an older rental home for a year, and it has been a rental for a very very long time. Though it's not in the best shape, we love the location. We had to downsize when I lost my job, and we subsequently lost our home, so it has been a rough transition to a rental after being an owner for 7 years.

I am still sorting out what kinds of maintenance we should be paying for. I want to get the air and dryer ducts cleaned, and I suspect they've never been cleaned. Is this the kind of thing the tenant is expected to pay for?

brittone2
03-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Does your lease spell out anything about standard maintenance, etc?

We just left a rental (sold a house and we were shopping for a house) and I know our rental agreement did (eta: meant to type DID NOT) require the LL to do any such service. In fact, I quickly learned how tough it can be (in my state) to compel a LL to do any repairs unless they are causing a "habitability" situation, which is a pretty tough standard in my state. For example, our hot water heater would need reset maybe 1-3x a week. LL asked for the # for service but never called despite us letting him know several times. In my state, I couldn't easily compel him to even get that serviced.

I would think it is improbable that your LL would have to cover it, but hopefully someone can help you with the specifics. Your lease and your state's laws are what I'd look at.

I'm not much help, but I would reread your lease if you haven't already and then look at what the law mandates from LLs in your state (or city if applicable).

happymomma
03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
We rent out 2 properties. We pretty much pay for any repairs that need to be done whenever the tenants tell us about it. So anytime anything breaks or isn't working, I get someone to fix it. We even provide monthly cleaning of the kitchen and bathrooms as part of the rent. The reason is because I really want our place to be taken care of. However, if my tenants were to ask for it, I think it would be something that they would have to pay out of pocket since it is not something that needs to be repaired. But I would look at your lease to be sure. Hope this helps.

o_mom
03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
The air ducts probably aren't considered maintenance (except by air duct cleaning companies), so you may not be able to get that covered. The dryer vent, you may have better luck with since it is more of a safety issue with the fire risk.