PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to have a OCD baby?

tmahanes
03-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Ok so when B is playing he almost always has to have one thing in each hand. AND he picks through the toys until those two things match! So like no round block and square block, they both have to be round but not the same color just the same thing. Any elses baby do this??

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

JBaxter
03-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Ok so when B is playing he almost always has to have one thing in each hand. AND he picks through the toys until those two things match! So like no round block and square block, they both have to be round but not the same color just the same thing. Any elses baby do this??

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Not necessarily but I would watch his development and ask his ped at his 1 yr appt if he hasnt had it. Dont let them blow you off with your concerns.

BUT it could be he likes to match things.

LMPC
03-04-2011, 11:59 AM
DH and I always joke that DD is going to have OCD (not that OCD is funny in.any.way!) because my dad has it and I come from a long line of anxiety/OCD people. DD hates having dirty hands and is the only kid at a birthday party who will want me to wipe the frosting on her face. Having said this, I think a lot of these behaviors...including the ones you described...can be part of normal development. I think little kids make sense of their environments a lot of the times by organizing things and making patterns. Don't think it's always a sign that something is amiss...but something to look at in the context of the child as a whole.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-04-2011, 12:31 PM
my DS sometimes does similar things. for a while he was obsessed with holding 3 balls in his hand (2 in one hand, one in the other). he just wanted to be able to pick them all up and walk around with them. And yes, he often has to have one thing in each hand.

at mealtimes, he is also very bothered if his hands get dirty, or if there is a spot of water or drop of liquid food on his tray..he will hold out his hands as if to say "wipe this off now!" or he will point to the spot of water and look at me and whine like "this doesn't belong here!!". funny because my MIL says my DH was the same at the same age, never wanted to be dirty, would insist on being changed clothing if any spot of dirt got on it, etc. After she said that, I don't worry anymore because my DH is FAR, far, far from being OCD or a clean freak these days (he's a typical guy who throws his laundry on the floor) :) So I assume it's a just a phase and he'll just grow out of it.

missliss55
03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
My DD#3 went through a period of always wanting to hold something in her hand. Sometimes it always had to be the same thing. DD#3 does PT for low muscle tone and our PT said that holding something helps her feel more grounded and secure. She did this for a while and then it started to go away. She hasn't done it in a long time.

weech
03-04-2011, 01:39 PM
I think babies just have quirks and it's fine :) I was crazy about having my hands clean as a baby - I mean seriously nuts - and while I still have a strange aversion to having strange textures on my hands (sticky, crumbly, gritty, wet, etc), I turned out okay :) No OCD, and definitely not a clean freak in any way! :rotflmao:

Indianamom2
03-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Both of my kids went through the phase of having to have something in both hands. It didn't have to match, but both hands had to be full.

DD is 6.5 and she does exhibit some anxiety/OCD (it runs in our family, in fairly controllable amounts) and so far it's not out of control.

Ds is 19 months and he is a clean freak! He does not like his hands to be dirty or to have crumbs on them. He likes things neat and orderly. The jury's still out on him.

I wouldn't worry yet. Just file it away in the "just in case it comes in handy" file somewhere down the road.

BabyMine
03-04-2011, 01:45 PM
TT went through the same thing. We dismissed it to self soothing and he outgrew it. He is picky about his hands being clean but that also happened with M who has outgrown it. If you are concerned then I would definitely talk to your ped but for us it was just baby quirks.

YouAreTheFocus
03-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Hoenstly I think he sounds very clever, just one year old and he can pick through the toys and find the ones that match!

My son also liked to hold one toy in each hand, and at snack time he HAS to have one snack (cracker or whatever) in each hand or he gets mad :) As others have said, he also doesn't like to have food/crumbs on his hands (points at a tiny fleck and says uh-oh!) and same goes for a drop of water, etc on his tray.

twowhat?
03-04-2011, 02:42 PM
DD2 is so picky about being clean and it started when she was a baby too - crying when she got food on her hands, etc.

When she was almost 2 she fell off a platform on a playground about 3-4 feet to the mulched ground (yup - greatest parents ever award goes here). She was crying so hard when DH picked her up to check her over, and I grabbed some wipes to clean the dirt off her face so we could see if she had hurt herself. While I was wiping her face, she cried for me to give her a wipe (so I did) and then she proceeded to clean the dirt that she had gotten on DH off of his sweater.

Yup. OCD.