PDA

View Full Version : What's the right way to set up crib beddings?

MamaMichelle
03-04-2011, 12:56 PM
First time mama here. Could someone tell me what's the proper way to set up my crib beddings? I see so many products out there and it's hard to know what's really necessary. The mattress we've ordered is completely waterproof, so do I need a waterproof pad/liner or is that overkill? If not, layer-wise, is it...mattress, then waterproof pad, than sheet, then...what...something called sheet saver? Please help. Thanks in advance. :wink2:

tmahanes
03-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Personally all we did was the sheet because our mattress is waterproof. So the only bedding we have is the sheet and breathable bumpers.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

momm
03-04-2011, 01:11 PM
here's a really good tip for you
Buy the Baby Bargains book - it's about $12 - it's worth every penny and it will save you much more than that.
(I'm not affiliated with the book/ authors in anyway, just a fan)

For your specific question, I used the Ultimate crib sheet. it's about $20. You can find that, or it's equivalent and it goes
mattress -> sheet -> ultimate crib sheet. it's sheet/ soft for the baby to sleep on, and it's waterproof to save your mattress and sheet, and you can just snap it out and put in the wash without having to take out the entire mattress to clean it. Helps esp in the middle of the night :)

BabyBearsMom
03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Buy the Baby Bargains book - it's about $12 - it's worth every penny and it will save you much more than that.

:yeahthat: We have a mattress (which I think is water proof), and I put a mattress pad on it and then a cribe sheet over the pad. There are so many things that they try to sell you when you are a first time mom that isn't necessary (bumpers, crib quilts etc.) and some things that are down right dangerous (sleep positioners). I found the Baby Bargains book to be the best buy I made and used it in all of my baby purchases. The only thing that I don't think they do a great job of recommending is strollers (see the stroller section on this site for that).

MamaMichelle
03-04-2011, 01:39 PM

For your specific question, I used the Ultimate crib sheet. it's about $20. You can find that, or it's equivalent and it goes
mattress -> sheet -> ultimate crib sheet. it's sheet/ soft for the baby to sleep on, and it's waterproof to save your mattress and sheet, and you can just snap it out and put in the wash without having to take out the entire mattress to clean it. Helps esp in the middle of the night :)

Can you clarify...you said mattress -> sheet -> ultimate crib sheet (which is waterproof). So why have the sheet at all? Is the ultimate crib sheet the same size as the "regular" sheet?

AnnieW625
03-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Can you clarify...you said mattress -> sheet -> ultimate crib sheet (which is waterproof). So why have the sheet at all? Is the ultimate crib sheet the same size as the "regular" sheet?

We used this set up too. The Ultimate crib sheet snaps on to crib slats. I am one of the few here, but I did add a regular quilted bumper once DD2 was sleeping through the night. DD2 moves around a lot at night. We also used a crib wedge because DD2 has reflux.

sunshine873
03-04-2011, 02:08 PM

So if baby spits up or wets through onto the top sheet, you can remove it & have a clean sheet already there underneath.

I did this without the ultimate crib sheet. I had waterproof mattress, with a sheet on top of it, quilted, waterproof mattress pad on top of that, and another sheet on top of that. Ultimate crib sheet, or waterproof mattress pad - either way will work.

Trust us...in the middle of the night, it's sooooo much easier if you don't have to put a clean sheet on when one has been wet through. You just take the top wet layers off, and since you had the waterproof barrier, you have a nice clean, dry sheet underneath, just waiting to put baby back down.

YouAreTheFocus
03-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Just be aware that the Ultimate Crib Sheet doesn't work with all cribs. I bought 3 from Amazon b/c it just sounded so perfect. Well our crib didn't come until two days after the baby was born, we went to put the UCS on and it didn't fit at all. By that time it was to late to return the UCSs.

After that, we just went with the waterproof mattress and a sheet. We also have a tradtional quilted bumper. Changing the sheet isn't that big of a deal.

veronica
03-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Just be aware that the Ultimate Crib Sheet doesn't work with all cribs. I bought 3 from Amazon b/c it just sounded so perfect. Well our crib didn't come until two days after the baby was born, we went to put the UCS on and it didn't fit at all. By that time it was to late to return the UCSs.

After that, we just went with the waterproof mattress and a sheet. We also have a tradtional quilted bumper. Changing the sheet isn't that big of a deal.

Same here! And, I didn't like how I had spent all the money for crib bedding and the UCS cover it all.

I did the following:
mattress, mattress pad, crib sheet. But I added two of the waterproof lap pads (the packs you get 6 of for about $5), just under the sheet where baby sleeps. If there was ever a diaper leak or spit up issue, I'd just wash the sheet and the lap pads but rarely had to was the mattress pad or anything as bulky as the UCS. I didn't mind washing the sheet, since I likely would have once a week anyway and I got to enjoy seeing the crib all made.

SnuggleBuggles
03-04-2011, 04:11 PM
I just did mattress, mattress pad (fitted, like a sheet), sheet and breathable bumper. I never felt the need to double up sheets. If you don't have a traditional bumper in there then, imo, it hardly takes any time to change a sheet.

Beth

MamaMichelle
03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I think what's throwing me for a loop is the name/wording. I checked on Amazon and the "Ultimate Crib Sheet" is not a true crib "sheet" that goes over the entire mattress? It looks like it's only about a third of the size of the mattress :dizzy: So this waterproof piece goes on top of the "true" crib sheet? My question remains...is a waterproof padding under the sheet and the waterproof Ultimate Crib Sheet over the sheet really necessary? Pros and cons? Sorry for being so obtuse, it seems like :13: here but this is all new to me.

SnuggleBuggles
03-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Like I said, I don't think something over the sheet is necessary. You can skip it and if you do find it to be a PITB to change a sheet in the middle of the night then you can always pick one up. To call it a necessity is a big stretch, imo. But, I know people love them. I'd wait and see though.

With ds1 I didn't have anything under the sheet either (I was worried about the mattress being too soft). It really was not necessary when I got one for when he was older but it does seem to make it nice. Mine was not waterproof though, just quilted cotton. It was there for comfort, not function, as my mattress was waterproof.

Beth

Beth

AnnieW625
03-05-2011, 12:52 AM
I will say that the UCS is much easier to change than a crib sheet in the middle of the night, and when DD2 was spitting up a lot at night, again easy change. I also have this mattress pad (http://www.amazon.com/American-Baby-Company-Waterproof-Mattress/dp/B000BUQNXW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1299300703&sr=8-12)

essnce629
03-05-2011, 04:56 AM
We do: mattress, flat waterproof mattress pad (since my mattress is organic and not waterproof), and crib sheet. No bumpers or sleep positioners since they are unsafe, and no "sheet savers" either since I never really had to change the sheets in the middle of the night (DS's diapers never leaked and he never spit up in his crib). The only spitting up DS did was outside of his crib, right after nursing (which was in our bed). A waterproof mattress pad is definately not necessary if your mattress is waterproof, but you may prefer removing a wet mattress pad instead of wiping off your mattress. It also adds another layer of comfort.