PDA

View Full Version : WWYD- school issue

cairo06
03-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I know we have quite a few teachers on this board and I need some advice on how to handle a situation at my DD's school.

We live in Germany and my daughter is bilingual. She's in first grade and they started having English class twice a week. No other language classes are offered. The first week she was excited about class. Now after week three she complains that she is really bored. I feared this would be a problem before school started, but decided to wait it out and see if the teacher would come up with some ideas on how to include her in class (maybe help with other students). I was hoping this would be good for her self esteem to be the best in class, but its not working out that way. I think the teacher doesn't call on her, plus DD told me that she mentioned to all the children that they were learning "British" English. I have an American friend here whose DC had problems in school because they spoke "American" English, so this made me cringe a little.

My DD will eventually benefit from these English classes once they start studying grammar. Its just not going to happen in elementary school. I need some concrete suggestions to give the teacher, so DD is not bored for the next four years. Any ideas how to integrate DD into the lesson plan? Other activities she could be doing during class? I'm not a teacher, so I really would appreciate your input. Thank you.

cuca_
03-04-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm not a teacher, but I grew up in a non-English speaking place and took English classes from an early age. In my experience, they sarted introducing grammar in early elementary school. I cannot imagine that they will just learn new vocabulary for all of the elementary school years. Of course, this does not solve your problem, since your daughter is still going to be bored for the rest of this year, and probably part of the next one. Is there any chance the school can pull her out and offer some sort alternative class during this period. You could also talk to the teacher and maybe she can have DD assist her during this period, or "help" any kids that might be having trouble with this particular subject.

Good luck finding a solution!

cairo06
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
The grammar concepts they might touch on in elementary school will still be too simple for a native speaker. Its a small school so if she doesn't take the class, they'll likely want to send her home early. Most days are over already at 11:30. I would like to go in with a list of suggestions or even offer to prepare some material, KWIM.

crl
03-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Not a teacher. Could she work on reading or writing in English during this time period?

Catherine

edurnemk
03-04-2011, 05:08 PM
DS is way younger, but we have the same issue. He's fully bilingual, and he attends bilingual preschool (he's the only one who spoke English before attending). At preschool they get 30 minutes of formal English instruction a day. He's become the "teacher's helper" and is sooo proud of that, he helps her get the material, helps some of the other kids, etc.

rlu
03-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Can she read during that part of school? Not sure how long the English class is - no way DS would read for 30 minutes on his own, but if OP DD is more advanced reader might work.

hillview
03-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Could you and the teacher do a combo or more advanced reading like PP suggested with some worksheets from say a US preschool workbook to mix it up? Maybe do a simple book report (reading and writing)? I like your idea of having her be a teacher's helper so I would also suggest that (if you think DD would like that). Finally is there another class she could go to (another section or something) during this time where she wouldn't do English but would at least not be bored?

/hillary

ehf
03-04-2011, 10:19 PM
1. Is there a way for her to attend "English" class with older grades?

2. Can you ask the teacher for a copy of the curriculum? You can look through it and decide if it will benefit your daughter.

3. Can you just explain your dilemma to the teacher--that your child is advanced in the subject, and you are wondering what your options might be?

I am a teacher, and I've encountered variations on this issue:
1) a student has "read the book before" but didn't understand it, and is now resisting learning more

2) a student has studied the unit before and truly already knows everything. I have to set up an "independent unit" that the child can somehow self-navigate, which is not too hard for 8th graders (my subject), but I can imagine would be really difficult for elementary students

3) a student hasn't studied the content, but is so far advanced in terms of skills that he/she belongs in the next grade up--this is difficult! I'm teaching a subject, but now I'm essentially teaching two, and with a parent/child who are already critical because they feel advanced and neglected

I definitely would just be upfront with the teacher and express how open you are to any solution that might work. Parents who insist on so many accommodations that they might as well be in a different class....might as well be in a different class.

Whatever you decide, definitely let the teacher know what your child is expressing, and how interested you are in being supportive of a better situation. THey'll work with you, and if they don't think you're pushing for a particular situation, you'll get a wider variety of options.

GOOD LUCK. THis sounds tough.

niccig
03-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I have an American friend here whose DC had problems in school because they spoke "American" English, so this made me cringe a little.

I think your DD should be able to swap back and forth between the 2 English dialects without too much trouble. My DS can do this. I'm Australian and he understands/speaks with Australian dialect at home (similar to British dialect), but at school it's all American English. Eg. He calls a sweater, a jumper at home but not at school. The difference is mostly with words/pronunciation/spelling, but the grammar is the same. She'll be bidialectal as well as bilingual. You might just need to remind her to use British English in homework etc I have to do this for work, I have to repress urge to put a u in words like colour and labour.

As for the material being too simple - talk with the teachers. I don't know how open teachers in Germany are to parental input. But I would go in asking for what can be done first rather than suggesting ideas to the teacher. See what they suggest, then go from there. They may have dealt with this before.

cairo06
03-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Thank you all for your responses and great suggestions. I apologize for not responding earlier. DH is out of town for two weeks and then we were sick... Sigh.

DS is way younger, but we have the same issue. He's fully bilingual, and he attends bilingual preschool (he's the only one who spoke English before attending). At preschool they get 30 minutes of formal English instruction a day. He's become the "teacher's helper" and is sooo proud of that, he helps her get the material, helps some of the other kids, etc.

I was hoping for the teacher would take this approach with DD. I think that would have been enough to keep her motivated. Reading and writing is not taught here until 1st grade, so I decided to wait until she learned it in German, before working on English. I have Hooked on Phonics and she's doing really well with reading in German, so I will be starting that soon. That would enable her to work on more advanced material during class.

Thanks Niccig for mentioning that your DS can switch back and forth in both English dialects. I hadn't thought about that. DD is young enough that she should be able to do that as well. My friend's children were a lot older when they moved to Germany so it was perhaps not so easy for them to switch. I forgot that when we lived in Cairo, DD went to a British pre-school and she picked up quite a bit of terms. I was the one who had to stop and think what crisps were! On a side note, my American friend had a meeting with her DD's teacher last week. She doesn't feel her German speaking skills are good enough when having "important" conversations so she spoke English during the meeting with the teacher. Her DD's teacher told her that she couldn't understand her because she only learned British English! My friend is from Connecticut - not the deep south or some other area with a strong dialect. I find that completely ridiculous.

I'm definitely asking the teacher first if she has any suggestions, before I offer any of my own. I'm just highly doubtful that she will have any ideas. Unfortunately, the impression I have from parents with school-aged children is that most teachers aren't very open to ideas that would require extra work on their part. We'll see. I'm definitely keeping an open attitude about it. This will be a continuing issue for us and we are just getting started with school. Thank you all for taking the time to respond.