PDA

View Full Version : S/O What song makes you want to rip your ears off?

ilfaith
03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Since we had a favorite song thread, I thought we should follow up with a least favorite song survey...either the one that makes you turn the radio station upon hearing the first few notes, or an all time most hated song.

My least favorite song of all time is "I Just Called to Say I Love You" by Stevie Wonder....and I love Stevie Wonder. I simply cannot fathom how the genius who recorded such fabulously funky hits as "Superstition", "Living for the City", "Higher Ground"" and Sir Duke could give us something as schmaltzy as "I Just Called to Say I love You"

sariana
03-04-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't know why, but the song "Fireflies" annoys me.

crl
03-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Centerfold. It drives me insane. I have hated it since I was in grade school.

Catherine

AnnieW625
03-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Tub Thumping By Chumba Wamba. Seriously the worst song of 1997, but also pretty close to being the worst song ever. I also change the station any time I hear:
Tangerine Speedo
Party Like It's Your Birthday by 50 Cent
The Holiday Inn (party at the Holiday Inn one, I can't remember who sang it)
To The Left by Beyonce
Come Together by The Beatles (yes I know I should go and hide)
Butterfly Kisses

It's a great song about life, but I can't listen to the whole song with out instantly bawling, Harry Chapin's Cat's In the Cradle. It's pretty much an autobiography of my dad, uncle, and my grandpa.

bubbaray
03-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Anything sung by Neil Young.

pinkmomagain
03-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Anything sung by Neil Young.

Oh My God. I was just going to post this. Cannot stand Neil Young. Bob Dylan is a close second.

longtallsally05
03-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Endless Love, Lionel Richie & Diana Ross. Everytime I hear this, in my mind I hear my tone-deaf XBF singing along. Gag me!

Jacksmommy2b
03-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Anything Katy Perry.( and J loooves Katy Perry) Bletch.

momof2girls
03-04-2011, 06:22 PM
That Firework song by Katie Perry sounds like a car alarm to me...she just screams it.

Old Time Rock-n-Roll reminds me of bad dancers at a wedding in the 80s.

golightly1118
03-04-2011, 06:24 PM
I guess this is showing my age, but anything by Nirvana. I was a teen in the 90's and just did not get them and why they were the poster child for grunge/my generation-that band just grated on my nerves, and Kurt Cobain, may he rest in peace, was the worst mumbler/singer ever.

momof2girls
03-04-2011, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=AnnieW625;3061510]Butterfly Kisses
QUOTE]

I was going to add that to my list before I saw yours. I didn't want to offend anyone but that song always seemed so contrived and made for the sole purpose of marketing it as a dad/daughter dance at a wedding song.

Meatball Mommie
03-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I guess this is showing my age, but anything by Nirvana. I was a teen in the 90's and just did not get them and why they were the poster child for grunge/my generation-that band just grated on my nerves, and Kurt Cobain, may he rest in peace, was the worst mumbler/singer ever.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

TOTALLY!!! My husband thinks I'm completely nutso, but I can't stand Kurt Cobain's voice!!!!! Ugh - hate it!

I also dislike the "Hey Soul Sister" song, but it's mostly because of over-play...

golightly1118
03-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Regarding Butterfly Kisses, there was another one a few years back-I think it was called Stealing Cinderella, same type of thing. I had to fight back the gag reflex when I heard it. Although I Loved Her First by Heartland, weirdly enough, brings me to tears because it sounds like something my dad would sing about me.

KHF
03-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Any songs by the Dave Matthews Band. Especially the singles. One of my brothers is a DMB fanatic and I just can't figure it out. At all.

Twoboos
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Tub Thumping, definitely. I change the station if it comes on, which thankfully is rarely now.

But at the risk of being un-PC, I am going to say Latin music. DH LOVES Latin music and can listen to it for hours on end. I can stand like 15mins of it before I have to shut it off and put on some hard rock to cleanse my ears.

Plus for some reason he got the Andrews Sisters ('4o's Big Band/Swing) on iTunes for DDs, and when it gets onto that album it makes me insane - the songs all sound EXACTLY.THE.SAME. I can take exactly one song.

I know, these aren't songs.

Meatball Mommie
03-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Any songs by the Dave Matthews Band. Especially the singles. One of my brothers is a DMB fanatic and I just can't figure it out. At all.

I'm with you on this one! Along with my Nirvana-dislike, I really have a DMB-dislike too. I just don't "get" either one...

elektra
03-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Drops of Jupiter by Train.

"She checks out Mozart while she does Tae-bo" ??????
"Can you imagine no love, pride, deep-fried chicken...Your best friend always sticking up for you"

DH loves this song and I think it's ridiculous.

gatorsmom
03-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Ok, I"m weird but I LOVE Tub Thumping, Centerfold and Tangerine Speedo. Whenever it comes on the radio, the kids and I belt it out. And I LOVED Nirvana. I was in college at the time and that music was so unlike anything else at the time that everyone I knew went crazy for it. Oh, and I remember my college boyfriend playing those tunes on his guitar. ah, the memories :heartbeat:

I, too, hate all Neil Young and Bob Dylan. Oh, and I've always, always hated the song "the Stroke" by Billy Squier yet I love his song, "Rock me tonight" and I love his voice.

Oh, and I pretty much wanna puke over any 80's Madonna music. It is so clear she was just doing whatever she had to to get attention back then. I can't stand her movies either.

gracielaw
03-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Anything by Kesha (I refuse to use the $). :barf:

KHF
03-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Or as the principal from Glee says, "Key Dollar Sign Ha"

Hee.

Twoboos
03-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Or as the principal from Glee says, "Key Dollar Sign Ha"

Hee.

OMG, I heard Joel McHale say this once on The Soup. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing and it took Dh a few minutes until I explained it. That is what I call her now.

gracielaw
03-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Lollll. A blog I read uses a cent sign instead of the dollar sign. Never fails to make me smile.

katydid1971
03-04-2011, 08:27 PM

"Can you imagine no love, pride, deep-fried chicken...Your best friend always sticking up for you"
I think it's ridiculous.
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:
I pretty much hate everything by train and they are so popular!!!

Cam&Clay
03-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Anything by Journey.

Money Money by Billy Idol

All were banned from my first wedding reception.

MichelleRC
03-04-2011, 08:49 PM
That Whip My Hair song by Willow Smith. HATE HATE HATE it. So do my kids.

Elilly
03-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Black velvet and all I want to do is make love to you....ugh

wendibird22
03-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Butterfly Kisses
In The Living Years (Mike and the Mechanics)...every generation blames the one before...it makes my ears bleed!

Pennylane
03-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Ugh, me too!! I can't figure out why Will Smith let her put that nightmare of a song out.

Ann

randomkid
03-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Christmas Shoes!!! I know it's a seasonal song, but I really HATE that song. I was fortunate enough to not hear it this past Christmas!

jenfromnj
03-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Add me to the list of haters of Whip My Hair!

All were banned from my first wedding reception.

LOL--our wedding band thought it was hysterical that our "must play" list was about 1/10 as long as our "please, please do NOT play" list.

veronica
03-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Life is Highway by Tom Cochrane
She Drives me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals

elbenn
03-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Mony Mony by Billy Idol

scrooks
03-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Money Money by Billy Idol

I HATE money money with a passion! I also hate Celebration by Kool and the gang. I admit to liking tubthumping. It reminds me of fun times in college!

dotgirl
03-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh My God. I was just going to post this. Cannot stand Neil Young. Bob Dylan is a close second.

This. This, this, this!

firemama
03-04-2011, 10:39 PM

DH loves this song and I think it's ridiculous.
:yeahthat: and Soul Sister is pretty annoying too. Way too overplayed.

:yeahthat:

I cannot stand Lady Gaga, and everything about her! :barf::barf: yes, double barf!! She is a Madonna/Cher wannabe. That fake British accent when she talks! Just like when Madonna moved to London!{{{shudder}}} Her over-the-top cry for attention is so lame!

I also change the radio if it's Neil Young, Evanescence, Blues Traveler, Taylor Swift and anything country. I know there's more, I had a huge no-play list for my wedding.

BigDog
03-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Pearl Jam, every single song of theirs.
*vomit*

BabyMine
03-04-2011, 11:13 PM
I am wondering how many know of this song. It isn't a kid's song.

Peanut butter jelly.

Plus all country.

Nooknookmom
03-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Anything "rap". I just want to hurl.

I can handle certain "pop-ish, hip-hop-ish" the occasional Kid Rock-ish song. I happen to like the Beastie Boys even, but that Gansta-nasty type rap...blech.

Penny's Pappa
03-05-2011, 12:56 AM
OK, not songs, but there would be too many to list anyways:

Can't stand:
--99.9% of Country music.
--Lady Gaga and Rhianna, two of the most overrated, talentless hacks in music today.
--Most other pop music nowadays. All this Auto-Tuned junk has got to stop. It's all nothing more than bad electronic music.
--Amen to whoever said Tubthumper. There's a special place in Hell for Chumbawumba.

-----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

hellokitty
03-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Well, I'm with Penny's Papa, I can't stand country music, so the songs that sound like fingernails on the chalk board to me are:

Butterfly Kisses (makes me want to barf, not only does it sound bad, but I do NOT get along with my dad at all, I have never understood the whole concept of daddy's little girl)

Achey Breaky Heart (I don't even know how to spell it!)

Anything by Bryan Adams

Fairy
03-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Hot, Hot, Hot. Hate that song. H.A.T.E.

Most slow, deep Hip Hop.

Any singer that's been clearly studio-fied, like Britney Spears

Spinning Wheel.

Fairy
03-05-2011, 02:03 AM

Peanut butter jelly.

Plus all country.

Peanuuuut, Peanut butter ...

... Jelly.

... Jelly.

First ya take the peanuts and ya mash 'em, mash 'em
Yeah, that song sucks.

teedeedee
03-05-2011, 02:17 AM
You're so vain by Carly Simon, I just can't stand it!

Another dislike for anything by Lady Gaga (she really can't sing!) and Neil Young.

Oh and is it Fergie that sings that song with the lyrics "and I'm going to miss you like a child misses its blanket"? I mean, really? How ridiculous.

kijip
03-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Hey soul sister. And not because it is over played. Because it totally sucks.

infomama
03-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Anything sung by Geddy Lee (the lead singer of Rush). His voice is awful.

momof2girls
03-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Oh and is it Fergie that sings that song with the lyrics "and I'm going to miss you like a child misses its blanket"? I mean, really? How ridiculous.

:yeahthat: We all know you are not a teenager Fergie....time to grow up!

gracielaw
03-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Oh oh oh I have to also say anything by Bon Iver, Iron & Wine, Mumford and Sons, and Kings of Leon. This practically makes me an outcast among my friends but ugh, I just can't.

And really, does anybody actually like Train??

babyonway
03-05-2011, 12:36 PM
The worst song ever made (although I never hear it anymore, if I happen too it makes my blood run cold)....

We built this city on Rock & Roll.

Yikes, now it is in my head. :(

Kymberley
03-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Can't STAND him!

Also hate rap, don't care for country. I love me some heavy metal. You know, something that takes a lot of talent to play well. If an electronic device is tuning your voice because you can't sing, get off my radio. So that eliminates 90% of all radio stations here.

fortato
03-05-2011, 01:07 PM

I always say that the best thing to happen to Dave Grohl was Kurt Cobain taking his own life.

Dynamite by Taio Cruz... I am SO over that.
Any song by Creedence Clearwater Revival...

vludmilla
03-05-2011, 01:28 PM

I used to hate Geddy Lee's voice but Rush is really such a fantastic band. They are truly talented musicians and the songwriting just blows away most of the competition. Also, if you like metal or hard rock music, chances are the bands you like WORSHIP Rush.

I really can't stand the music of Counting Crows, Fish, Jimmy Buffett...I could go on and on. My husband is a talented musician with eclectic and sometimes esoteric tastes. He has pretty much ruined me for most pop music and stuff that gets played on the radio.

wendibird22
03-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Had to add to my list...
Uncle Kracker: Follow Me

I'm not worried 'bout the ring you wear
Cause as long as no one knows, then nobody can care
You're feelin' guilty and I'm well aware
But you don't look ashamed and baby, I'm not scared

Really? Barf.

MamaSnoo
03-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Life is Highway by Tom Cochrane
She Drives me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals

:yeahthat: To both of those. I had blocked their existence from my mind, esp FYC.

BabyMine
03-05-2011, 04:01 PM

... Jelly.

... Jelly.

First ya take the peanuts and ya mash 'em, mash 'em
Yeah, that song sucks.

I knew you would know it :ROTFLMAO:. DH likes to sing it every time I ask the kids if they want that to eat. I told him if he taught the kids that song I would take a looong mental health cruise by myself.

Kaylee31
03-05-2011, 04:10 PM

:yeahthat: You took the words out of my mouth. She is horrible, I'm so sick of hearing her songs on the radio.

luli13
03-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Nickelback, Kid Rock, and Phil Collins. Just cannot tolerate listening.

randomkid
03-05-2011, 05:46 PM
The worst song ever made (although I never hear it anymore, if I happen too it makes my blood run cold)....

We built this city on Rock & Roll.

Yikes, now it is in my head. :(

Yeah, thanks. It's in my head now, too. I guess I completely blocked that song from my memory, but now it's baaaAAAccckkk!

ThreeofUs
03-05-2011, 06:15 PM

:yeahthat: And James Taylor.

Who did that song Mandy (it's really old). HATE that song (and the singer) with a passion. Somebody played it to me when I was too young to know better and I want to vomit and tear off my ears every time I hear it.

Fairy
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
And really, does anybody actually like Train??

:waving4: It seems that I'm the only one!

Fairy
03-05-2011, 06:24 PM
:yeahthat: And James Taylor.

Who did that song Mandy (it's really old). HATE that song (and the singer) with a passion. Somebody played it to me when I was too young to know better and I want to vomit and tear off my ears every time I hear it.

Wait, u sure that wasn't barry manilow?

eh613c
03-05-2011, 06:30 PM
:banghead:'Turn it Up' by Kim Kardashian. Sounds like she's just talking with beats in the background.

KHF
03-05-2011, 06:50 PM

You and my DD...she *loves* Hey Soul Sister. Except she sings it, "Hey Sold Sister..."

clc053103
03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
"raise your glass" or whatever that Pink song is. If your too school for cool? Really, any Pink song will qualify.

Anything by Eminescence. Or Ace of Base. Or anyone trying so hard to sound so tragic.

and my current least-favorite: Six Foot Seven Foot by Lil Wayne.

lizzywednesday
03-07-2011, 04:15 PM

I prefer 'Smells Like Nirvana' by Weird Al ... of course, Weird Al is usually how I get my pop culture updates, so maybe that's a sign of my tragic un-hip-ness.

boolady
03-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Nah. I do, too, though not necessarily "Hey, Soul Sister." I like some of their older stuff.

And I'm appalled at the James Taylor hating. It hurts me.

lizzywednesday
03-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Peanut butter jelly.

What, is that the one from 'Family Guy'?

boolady
03-07-2011, 04:22 PM
"Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood. I've never understood why it's okay for her to sing a song about what would get a man arrested for domestic violence. And, it's terribly grating on top of that.

BabbyO
03-07-2011, 04:30 PM
I used to hate Geddy Lee's voice but Rush is really such a fantastic band. They are truly talented musicians and the songwriting just blows away most of the competition. Also, if you like metal or hard rock music, chances are the bands you like WORSHIP Rush.

I didn't really know anything about Rush until recently when DH was watching a documentary on them. They are fantastic....and while I can't say that I like or relate to all of their music it is clear that they are true musicians and VERY talented. The songwriting amazed me...and quite frankly a band that has been around as long as them has to be doing something right...and I don't think its just gimic-y stuff in their case. I've developed respect.

For me its rap of any kind...I just can't get into it. I also really am not a big fan of hip-hop or whatever the latest trend is...guess I'm getting old! :)

fortato
03-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I prefer 'Smells Like Nirvana' by Weird Al ... of course, Weird Al is usually how I get my pop culture updates, so maybe that's a sign of my tragic un-hip-ness.

OMG. You need to meet my husband. The only pop tunes he knows are the ones Weird Al covers. Seriously... he doesn't know the words to "American Pie" but he knows the Weird Al version- "The Saga Begins".

bubbaray
03-08-2011, 12:01 AM
You and my DD...she *loves* Hey Soul Sister. Except she sings it, "Hey Sold Sister..."

Us too, but the Glee version, not Train.

kijip
03-08-2011, 01:17 AM
I think 1/2 of my problem with Soul Sister is that the band is named Train. How's that for rational.

I thought of another one. Swap Meet Louie by Sir Mix A Lot. I freaking love the rest of the Mack Daddy album. But I freaking want to smack Mix up the head for Swap Meet Louie. Like nails on a chalkboard to me.

goldenpig
03-08-2011, 02:35 AM
Play that Funky Music White Boy
Human ("I'm only human, born to make mistakes" and all that whispered confessional mumbling)
Uptown Girl by Billy Joel
Mambo #5
I Believe I can Fly
Wind beneath my wings (so schmaltzy I throw up a little every time I hear it)
Gloria Estefan (1-2-3-4 come on baby say you love me 5-6-7 times, Come on Baby do the Conga)
Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now-Starship
And my #1 unfave: Sussudio (and Easy Lover, and really anything by Phil Collins!)

golightly1118
03-08-2011, 09:00 AM
"Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood. I've never understood why it's okay for her to sing a song about what would get a man arrested for domestic violence. And, it's terribly grating on top of that.

See, this isn't my main issue with this song. Not that I'm proud to admit it, but I've definately been angry enough at an ex when he cheated on me to want to trash his car-didn't actually go through with it, of course, as I didn't want to get arrested. I think this song is a revenge fantasy. My main issue-she was dumb enough to "carve (her) name into his leather seats". Nice to leave evidence for the police report, honey.

lizzywednesday
03-08-2011, 10:15 AM
OMG. You need to meet my husband. The only pop tunes he knows are the ones Weird Al covers. Seriously... he doesn't know the words to "American Pie" but he knows the Weird Al version- "The Saga Begins".

LOL ... I actually know the lyrics to both. 'Running With Scissors' is a great album.

And you truly haven't lived 'til you've heard 'MacArthur Park' with lyrics about dinosaurs ... or all 90s pop hits done as a polka medley.

Weird Al is awesomeness on a stick. I <3 Weird Al.

bekahjean
03-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Ok, so after reading this whole thread - I like about 95% of the songs everyone else hates. Love Rush, Nirvana, James Taylor, Tubthumping (ha! hello high school!), Britney Spears, etc :bag

My least favorite song in the entire world is "It's Raining Men." I hate it.HATE.IT.

boolady
03-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Mambo #5

I was telling DH about this thread last night, and this was his immediate answer. I forgot the stinkin' song even existed!

randomkid
03-08-2011, 10:57 PM
I thought of another one - it's an old one, but I've always hated it - "Escape" by Rupert Holmes. I mean, really, you put an ad in the classifieds, show up and it's your "own lovely lady". Both parties are really going to be really pissed off, not rediscovering each other!

HIU8
03-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Who let the dogs out. I HATE that song.

maestramommy
03-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Hey! I love Dave Matthews band!:11:

I was a teen in the 80s and I remember a song called, "Electric Avenue." HATED it.

More recently I remember during the holiday season hearing Steve Nicks singing, "Silent Night." I was in disbelief. I think she's okay, but that is one song she should NOT be singing.

pinkmomagain
03-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Me too! I mean LOVE! I get not liking them, but HATE? To each his own, I guess.....

JamiMac
03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
I thought of another one - it's an old one, but I've always hated it - "Escape" by Rupert Holmes. I mean, really, you put an ad in the classifieds, show up and it's your "own lovely lady". Both parties are really going to be really pissed off, not rediscovering each other!

I think that is one of the funniest songs ever! It reminds me of college and friends. Such ridiculous lyrics!

infomama
03-09-2011, 09:46 AM

DMB fan here too....