PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do with my life anymore :(

blondflava
03-04-2011, 07:35 PM
I have been SAHM for over 2 years now (resigned from my office job while still pregnant because of bedrest and complications) and would love to start planning going to work now, but the main problem is my education, or the lack thereof... I worked at a reception desk before (for about 1.5 years), before that, I did nanny jobs. I was born out of the US and finished some college back in Europe, but the area of my study wouldn't be relevant here, unfortunately (I have a teacher's diploma but never really wanted to teach full time). I'm just very confused as to what to do, would love to get into nursing, BUT... The thought of getting all the paperwork and getting ready for entrance exam is daunting, the bigger problem is that even though I don't work right now, I can't commit to school, maybe part time but wasn't able to find any pt programs like that in the area. My DH has 8-4 job but has unexpected OT pretty often (so can't commit to evening programs not knowing who can stay with DD after 5), we can't really afford a nanny though and daycare for DD is out of the question full time because of DD's feeding issues. I'm already 32 and feel like if I don't try to do something about my work future, I'll just keep wilting here! Ugh, I don't even think any advice would be helpful.... Just ranting....

mommylamb
03-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Is an online degree an option for you?

hillview
03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Retail, you can go quite far if you become focused (manager etc)? I think nursing is a great idea -- is there an online nursing course?
/hillary

pinkmomagain
03-04-2011, 09:18 PM
If you are interested in nursing but all the school stuff is not doable, what about some type of medical assistant? I know people with no college degree who have been trained on the job in a drs offices to take blood pressure, blood draws, ekgs, etc.

Tammy
03-04-2011, 09:48 PM
I was also going to suggest an online program or medical assistant or CNA. What about volunteering to job shadow for a few hours whenever you can? It's a good way to get your foot in the door sometimes. Good luck!

ha98ed14
03-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Check out western governors university. www.wgu.edu It's legit. Not a for-profit that takes all your money and gives you bupkis.

niccig
03-04-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm 37, and just started this semester to get pre-reqs done to apply for Masters to do Speech Language Therapy. So, you're younger than me. People have asked before about going back to school and the answer is "well, you could go to school and in 4 years you'll be a Nurse, or you could not go to school and in 4 years, you'll be 4 years older."

If Nursing is what interests you, can you see about a LPN or one of the other levels rather than a RN? You could then start working and get more qualifications later as you can do them - a friend of ours did this, she was a single mother and waitressed during the day and went to night classes. It took her some time, but she got her bachelors. If you need to do some subjects before you apply, then you could look at doing those part-time now, maybe just one class at a time.

I will say that it is easier to be back in school full-time when DS is in K. He's at school each day and he can go to aftercare for classes that finish later. Anything after 6pm, I need to get a babysitter as DH isn't home until anywhere between 8pm-2am. We never know when he will walk in the door. It does cost to have aftercare or babysitter, but education is an investment in future career and earnings. It will take me about 4 years to get finished, but then I should have 20+ years working in a field that pays well and has the flexibility I want to have for our family, and 20+ years of doing something I want to do.

blondflava
03-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Thank you all. I know I m not too old for school but its hard to sit at home and wait and wait and plan but nothing really happens... I m going to try for LPN or RN but I have to study for any entrance exams first. A lot... So i ll concentrate on that and any extra schooling I can do online (biology or chemistry wouldnt hurt). In a year, when DD is 3, I hope she can go to daycare or preschool and I can start full time school during the day. Whew, seems good to have a plan ;)

@ niccig: Good luck to you, I bet your buried in books now.

niccig
03-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Thank you all. I know I m not too old for school but its hard to sit at home and wait and wait and plan but nothing really happens... I m going to try for LPN or RN but I have to study for any entrance exams first. A lot... So i ll concentrate on that and any extra schooling I can do online (biology or chemistry wouldnt hurt). In a year, when DD is 3, I hope she can go to daycare or preschool and I can start full time school during the day. Whew, seems good to have a plan ;)

@ niccig: Good luck to you, I bet your buried in books now.

Yes, it's good to have a plan. Making a decision can be mentally more difficult than doing it. Just do one step at a time. First step is entrance exam..OK, study for that. Hunt around online and found some good resources/guides for studying for your particular exam. Once that is done, then move on to the next step. I have a lot of hurdles to get over too, but if I just keep focussed on what I have to do now, eventually I will get over each one.

And yep - knee deep in books. 2 exams next week!

Studying and having a family are a little difficult, but we're adjusting. I can't go to every thing at DS's school, but I go on the days I don't have classes. DH and DS are at the movies right now, so I can study in peace...so it is give and take from everyone...

Good Luck..you'll be fine.

jenfromnj
03-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I have no real advice, but wanted to say that I totally get where you're coming from and sympathize! I've been out of my field for 2 years now, except for the 10 hours/week worth of contract work I've been doing recently, and I really don't know what I want to do.

My chosen career path (transactional law) is unfortunately NOT really family friendly at all, and I just can't see myself returning to it doing anything like what I used to do. I've seriously considered getting my teaching certification, because I think I'd love to teach (mentoring and teaching continuing ed courses was my favorite part of my old job), but the job market for teachers here in NJ is terrible right now. I never thought I'd be in my 30s and not know what I want to be when I grow up, but here I am!

blondflava
03-05-2011, 10:30 PM
@ niccig: I'm glad you get some peace and quiet for studying, it's tough to go back to school as an adult with family responsibilities (wow I had it so easy studying back in the 'old days' LOL, when all I had to worry was cleaning up my room!). But that's ok, I can live with a slightly messy house if I find that there is not enough time left after school and family time with DD and DH...
@jenfromnj: I hope the economy will improve enough, teaching is a great job IF you have it.. I keep my fingers crossed so it works out for you! And it's not that bad, not knowing exactly what to do, the advantage over the teenage years is knowing what you DON"T want to do and that's always something ;)