PDA

View Full Version : The Fighter or The King's Speech?

Twoboos
03-05-2011, 02:11 PM
DH and I are going out tonight. :cheerleader1:

Which movie should we see. Both start/end basically at the same time. Both playing at same theater.

<poll coming>

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2011, 02:15 PM
The Fighter is still on my list. But, we saw The King's Speech and really enjoyed it. I don't think you can go wrong. But, the KS is probably lighter.

Beth

hillview
03-05-2011, 03:53 PM
We have only seen the king's speech but it was fantastic.
/hillary

Twoboos
03-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Who's the wise guy that voted for Bieber??? :hysterical:

boogiemomz
03-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I haven't seen either (I'm assuming the Justin Bieber option was a joke!), but from what I've heard, The King's Speech will be more uplifting/inspiring and The Fighter will be kind of heavy and depressing, a lot of dysfunctional family issues, etc. The King's Speech seems better for date night to me, but I guess it depends what you're most interested in. Have fun, I'm jealous!! :)

dogmom
03-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Since Boston is my adopted home town I got to vote fighter. I was hearing a thing on NPR about the movies and one of the critics of "The Fighter" is Christian Bale's performance was too intense and overblown. One nurse called in and said, "I deal with people like this all the time, it was right on the mark."

However, if you don't want to deal with Crack addicts I would do The Kings Speech. If I was going out I would see The Adjustment Bureau because I like Philip K. Dick and I keep hoping another one of his stories made into movies will be as good as Blade Runner.

Twoboos
03-05-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm assuming the Justin Bieber option was a joke!

Yah, I meant to make that the Other, then made two options instead. DOH! :duh:

Since Boston is my adopted home town I got to vote fighter. I was hearing a thing on NPR about the movies and one of the critics of "The Fighter" is Christian Bale's performance was too intense and overblown. One nurse called in and said, "I deal with people like this all the time, it was right on the mark."

I'm also in the area and feel like I "should" go see it just because of that! Support the locals!! :)

Fairy
03-05-2011, 06:31 PM

However, if you don't want to deal with Crack addicts I would do The Kings Speech. If I was going out I would see The Adjustment Bureau because I like Philip K. Dick and I keep hoping another one of his stories made into movies will be as good as Blade Runner.

Wait, adjustment bureau is philiip k. Dick? I don't know of a story by him that ends happy. I was excited to see that, but ... now I may not.

dec756
03-05-2011, 06:54 PM
fighter seems more 'date night' have fun!

Twoboos
03-06-2011, 10:01 PM
We saw The King's Speech. It was really good, I enjoyed it! Thanks for the rec's.

(Of course, I also would have enjoyed shirtless Mark Wahlberg. :loveeyes: )

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Glad you liked it. :)

I saw The Adjustment Bureau this weekend with high hopes. It was just ok. A fine rental but not really worth the $ to see it in the theaters.

Beth

Twoboos
03-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Glad you liked it. :)

I saw The Adjustment Bureau this weekend with high hopes. It was just ok. A fine rental but not really worth the $ to see it in the theaters.

Beth

If you watch "Fringe" at all, DH and I have commented that there seem to be a few movies that are doing this premise now - The Adjustment Bureau, Unknown, and Source Code. (Just guessing the premise from the commercials/trailers.) The "bad guys" in Adj Bureau even have the same uniform as the bad guys in Fringe - suit and fedora!