PDA

View Full Version : If you live in a hot climate, where do you store outgrown clothes?

randomkid
03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
I just picked up what was left from the consignment sale I did this weekend. Not a lot left, but enough to save for a fall sale that I know about. I also have 2 small stacks of sweaters/LS shirts that I didn't have time to tag and a few pair of shoes. I will be going through DD's closet and drawers here again soon to prepare for the next sale, so I will have even more clothes and likely some toys.

I have a large plastic bin that I had everything in for this sale. I kept it in the bedroom and couldn't wait until this sale to get it out of there. So, now I am faced with the same problem. Is is OK for me to put clothing, shoes amd toys in a plastic storage bin and put them in the attic? Or, should I make room in a closet (not an easy task, but doable) and keep this stuff out of the hot attic. The sale is likely in November, so it will be up there for about 8-9 months and it gets REALLY hot up there. I live in FL, btw.

ha98ed14
03-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I live in SoCal and what clothes I have saved of DD's I put in a rubbermaid in her closet. She has a lot of clothes, but not gobs. But I might not save as much as you do 'cause I don't consign. FWIW, I wouldn't store anything in my attic. If yours is semi-finished with drywall and insulation, then I would say ok, but as humid as Fla can be, I wouldn't if it wasn't insulated from the moisture.

lhafer
03-05-2011, 07:03 PM
living in houston, it's humid and very hot here in the summer. That said I store a ton of stuff in my attic. I get plastic bins and store all of my kids clothes and outgrown toys up there. I saved EVERYTHING from DD1 and when I got it down for DD2, everything looked great. Our attic is not finished. We just put flooring down on part of it so we could move around easier.

kdeunc
03-05-2011, 07:37 PM
I am in hot, humid eastern North Carolina and I store stuff in our attic. I put it in rubbermaid bins and everything seems to do fine. Our attic gets really hot too.

Melaine
03-05-2011, 07:50 PM
The attic has also been ok for us, but I haven't been using it lately. I sell almost everything as soon as my kids' outgrow it, so I keep a large rubbermaid in our guest room and put it all in there. Once in awhile, depending on the season, I pull stuff out, take photos, and list it on craigslist. I try not to let it pileup, even if it means selling it for less than I'd like. We just don't have the storage space and I know if it goes in the attic it will be a big pain to pull back down.

Babymakes3
03-05-2011, 10:14 PM
I am in FL too and I keep them in the closet. I'm not sure what the heat would do to them. I actually went thru my boxes tonight to pull out the stuff I didn't love so I could consign it. I absolutely do not have the space to store it but along with all ds's other baby stuff i'm making it work bc I want a 2nd dc.

JTsMom
03-07-2011, 09:16 AM
I've stored clothing in bins in the attic with no ill effects. I probably wouldn't put anything really precious up there, but normal clothing, no problem.