PDA

View Full Version : Edamame

boilermakermom
03-05-2011, 10:49 PM
I know alot of people rave about edamame. I bought some and I don't get it. I thought it was awful. I bought it shelled and frozen. I let it thaw in warm saltwater, did I make it wrong?

How do you make it? Do you use it in recipes? Eat it as a snack?

ellies mom
03-05-2011, 10:52 PM
I steam them. And then sprinkle 'em with salt and pepper. I enjoy popping them out of the shells so I always buy the ones in the shells but you can buy them already shelled as well.

SASM
03-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Definitely steamed. I don't even sprinkle them with anything...my kids eat them as is. My kids like them plain but I've also mixed them in with salads or with rice. YUM! I hope that you grow to like them. They really like them in the shell (they like squeezing them out) but also devour them shelled. Good luck! :)

WatchingThemGrow
03-05-2011, 10:56 PM
So, you didn't cook them at all?

niccig
03-05-2011, 10:57 PM
microwaved in water for a couple of minutes, then salt on top. Mmm, yummy. DS will eat them in his lunch. I also pop them and put them in stir fries, fried rice etc.

boilermakermom
03-05-2011, 11:14 PM
So steamed is the best for them on their own? Should I have gotten the ones in the shell? I will give them another try!

Thanks!!

Indianamom2
03-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I had my first edamame in a stir-fry the other day at a restaurant. I was totally underwhelmed as well. It was bad...it just wasn't really much of any taste. I don't get the craze either.

jellibeans
03-06-2011, 12:25 AM
My son eats spoonfuls of lukewarm edamame...yuck. I like mine steamed with some kosher salt on it. Then stick the whole pod in your mouth to pop the seeds out and you get the salt + the bean from the inside.

MMMommy
03-06-2011, 12:57 AM
I buy edamame in the shell and already cooked at Costco. I add a little oil to a saute pan and saute the edamame (in the shell) with cayenne, sea salt, black pepper, and granulated garlic. Delicious and addicting to suck the pod and eat the edamame out of it.

sewarsh
03-06-2011, 08:37 AM
My kids LOVE edamame. One of the only healthy things they eat.
I either boil or steam and add a little salt.

mumofboys
03-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Alton Brown did an episode (or two) on edamame and totally turned me on to the stuff. Go to foodnetwork.com and search for recipes. I often make his roasted edamame salad, with a few variations, found here (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/roasted-edamame-salad-recipe/index.html). Even my kids gobble it up.

Roleysmom
03-06-2011, 11:16 AM
We get them frozen in the shells from Costco. We throw them in the shells directly into boiling water for less than a minute. No salt, no pepper. Yum!