PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Tempurpedic Mattresses?

mommylamb
03-06-2011, 08:59 AM
My back is killing me. My 8 year old mattress was not top of the line when we bought it, and while I would have hoped it would have lasted a bit longer, I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's cheaper for me to buy another mattress now than it would be for me to have weekly massages and then still buy a new mattress (but so much more fun!)

So, I'm leaning towards getting a tepurpedic and just biting the bullet. What do you think? And, can I get away with one of the copy cats like memory foam or select foam?

I have knots the size of boulders in my back. I need a good night's sleep. In the meantime, I'm calling my favorite spa and setting up a massage for next weekend :thumbsup:.

gatorsmom
03-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Well, have you slept on one before? I personally cant stand memory foam so I can't understand the draw. My suggestion is you sleep a night on one somewhere like a hotel that has them or a friend's house and see how your back feels the next morning. If you love it after the testdrive, then go for it.

mommylamb
03-06-2011, 09:39 AM
I haven't actually slept on one yet. I've laid on one and it felt super comfy. My parents and my sister/BIL both have tempurpedics (the original, not the copies) and they LOVE them. Though, my dad announced to DH and me out of the blue that they're difficult to do the deed in (which my sister says is totally false), and I thought DH was never going to stop blushing. Don't know why he felt the need to share that piece of info with us.

kara97210
03-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Well, have you slept on one before? I personally cant stand memory foam so I can't understand the draw. My suggestion is you sleep a night on one somewhere like a hotel that has them or a friend's house and see how your back feels the next morning. If you love it after the testdrive, then go for it.

:yeahthat:

People either love them or hate them. When I travel for work I regularly stay at a hotel that has Tempurpedics and love them. Recently DH came with me on and we stayed at the same hotel and he had the worst night's sleep. He runs hot and was really warm all night, which is evidently a common problem. I was really disappointed because we are in dire need of a new mattress - ours actually has peaks and valleys at this point - and I really wanted to go with Tempurpedic based on my experience.

marie
03-06-2011, 10:12 AM
I haven't actually slept on one yet. I've laid on one and it felt super comfy. My parents and my sister/BIL both have tempurpedics (the original, not the copies) and they LOVE them. Though, my dad announced to DH and me out of the blue that they're difficult to do the deed in (which my sister says is totally false), and I thought DH was never going to stop blushing. Don't know why he felt the need to share that piece of info with us.

ummm, TMI!! i wouldn't have stopped blushing either!

I was recently looking at mattress reviews and came across this site:
http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/index.html

There is even a "Mattresses and Sex" ratings table that, umm, goes into more detail than you'd think. ;)

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2011, 10:19 AM
I have had one for a dozen years and Love it. Sometimes I start to fall out of love with it and all I have to do is go traveling and sleep on a different mattress (even at a nice hotel) and I fall back in love.

They come with like a 90 day trial and I think that some people give up on them too soon. It was instant love for me but other people it might take a few nights more.

No trouble with the TMI part. ;)

Beth

kcimato
03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
You might also consider a latex mattress. We just bought one and love it. Feels like you're sleeping on air. Try one out.

We bought one from www.sleepez.com and were able to customize ours. You can also customize both sides of the bed. Talk to Shaun, he'll walk you through it.

Another good place is www.flobeds.com

Both of these sites have good info on latex

hillview
03-06-2011, 11:21 AM
It was seriously life changing for me and my back. No problem DTD either.
/hillary

JamiMac
03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I absolutely love ours! We've had it for about a year now and have not had any problems. You do have to adjust a bit, and that took a week or so. I do not find it hot at all, less so than pillow top mattresses. It's just wonderful, I cannot say enough good things. Ours is one of the lower end Tempurpedics too.

sste
03-06-2011, 02:58 PM
As a first step, could you try a thick memory foam topper on your current mattress? Costco has knockoffs that people like as well as tempurpedic (for the topper).

That way you could see if you like the memory foam experience and also extend your mattress life a bit longer.

I haven't tried the toppers personally but maybe someone here has and can comment?

pastrygirl
03-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I also chose a latex mattress (Savvy Rest) instead of Tempurpedic. First, because I didn't want the chemicals/outgassing, and second, because my husband runs very hot at night and memory foam supposedly is terrible for that.

I love the mattress, but what I love even more is the Savvy Rest shredded latex pillow. I switched to it when my Tempurpedic pillows bit the dust, and oh my, what a difference! I LOVE THIS PILLOW. My husband says the same thing. We had to remove some of the stuffing and it was enough to make a third pillow.

Mommy_Again
03-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Though, my dad announced to DH and me out of the blue that they're difficult to do the deed in

We got rid of ours for exactly this reason. I see that other PPs have had no problem DTD on one...so maybe it varies by, um, favorite position. But we couldn't stand having relations in a Temperpedic. You can't really get any traction, if you know what I mean - you just sink down into the foam.

dec756
03-07-2011, 09:42 AM

we had one for a longggg time (dh's) he loved it and i began to hate it....so uncomfy. i did not sleep through the night ever, until we got a new bed without a tempurpedic on it :)

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2011, 10:40 AM
FWIW, a few years ago dh and I started being pretty miserable on our Tempurpedic. It just wasn't supportive anymore. I dug out the warranty info and it says the box spring/ foundation should be replaced every 3 years. Oops. We didn't replace if but we rotated the foundation and it's been great ever since!

Beth

longtallsally05
03-07-2011, 11:10 AM
We've loved our Tempurpedic for the past six years. I used to have major back problems; now not so much. We sleep great and we now have 2 kids under the age of five, so no problems with the mattress in either of those arenas. Now if I could just get DD to quit trying to come into our room in the middle of the night, lol. We've never replaced the foundation, but after reading these posts, I'm going to rotate it!

JamiMac
03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Ooh, rotating the foundation is a great tip! I'm going to keep that in mind for the future.