PDA

View Full Version : Switching birth control (weaning, acne issues)-thoughts?

golightly1118
03-06-2011, 09:26 AM
For the past year I've been on the mini-pill because of breastfeeding, but am now ready to start weaning and want to switch pills. The mini-pill has given me horrible acne (almost as bad as when I was a teenager) and made my hair act crazy (well, crazier), plus I feel like I'm getting a full blown period every other week, cramps and all. I'm thinking about switching to Yasmin for these reasons-I've read up on it and a lot of women said it helps with acne, lighter periods and makes their hair thin out (in my case, this would be a good thing, LoL!). Any BTDT/thoughts on other pills? I don't want to go on Ortho Tri Cyclen-I went on that one years ago and it gave me horrible mood swings. Seasonique is also a bad one for me, as my 'one period' never happened-I'd spot the whole three months, then get a monster heavy period at the end.

pinkmomagain
03-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Well my dd1 started the generic yasmin a few months ago to see if it would help with bad, persistant acne, irregular periods, heavy flow, mood. Not something I would normally want to put a young teenager on, but the derm was ready to put her on a long term antibiotic and given her ulcerative colitis, that would be risking a flare up...something we are desparate to avoid. Anywho, it's been about 3-4 months and it is helping on every front hoped for. Dramatically better skin. Have not seen any bad side effects.

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Have you considered forgoing hormonal things and seeing what happens? That's what I finally decided to do. I wanted to know that any issues I might be having were me, not something I was ingesting. I thought then I could treat it as needed. Like, I have irregular cycles and gyns in my past have wanted to just do the pill without any more effort to figure out why. Turns out I have hypothyroidism and needed to treat that. But, it sounds like your symptoms might be brought on by the hormones and made worse? I wound up with the Paragard IUD and things have been good. Just a thought.

Beth

Uno-Mom
03-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Why do I feel I've heard bad things about Yasmin? Like nasty side effects. But if you've read up on it, I'm sure you know lots more than I do.

I've recently gone back to the pill I took pre-pregnancy. It's tri-sprintec, the generic for ... I think ... Tri-nessa. I particularly requested to go back to the exact same pill because it worked fine for me. I do think it improved my skin slightly, though I couldn't swear to it. :)