PDA

View Full Version : Need a fast camera!

sunshine873
03-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Now that DD is a non-stop toddler, it's really time for a new camera. 99% of the pictures I take end up showing a blurry, moving image. :(

I don't want to spend a thousand or anything, but am willing to spend what I need to, in order to get what I want.

#1...it has to be fast.
#2...I really want a pocket-size camera. Let's face it. I have enough stuff to carry around every day, and if I have a large D-SLR will I really have it with me at playgroup, on picnics, at the mall, when I want to grab a picture of something she's doing? No.
#3...I would like it to have short (a few minutes or more) video capability too.
#4...It should take good quality photos.
#5...Did I mention it has to be fast?

Anyone?

westgre
03-06-2011, 10:36 AM
I could've written this post myself. The lag time on my digital camera is so slow I usually end up taking pictures on my iPhone instead. Curious to see the responses.

JamiMac
03-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't rule out the DSLR's. I have a very big one now and still don't mind carrying it around but the smaller, cheaper entry level ones fit fine in a purse or diaper bag. So worth it to grab kid shots.

Penny's Pappa
03-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I hear P&S cameras are getting better, and I'm sure other posters here will have specific recommendations for you in terms of those, but if you want a fast* camera, an SLR is best.

But there are ways to improve a P&S's performance. Try switching to Sport mode. This will increase your shutter speed and allow you freeze your subject while in motion. It should help you minimize some of that blurring. You may need to supplement with a flash though, especially indoors.

Also, are you pressing in the shutter button halfway before you take your pictures? At this position, the camera should auto-focus. This process can take some time, even on an SLR, so doing it before you need to capture an image will help you to avoid missing a moment.

Lastly, try switching off Live View and using the viewfinder if you have one. The sensor that gives you the Live View is the same one that actually captures the image, but before it can do that, the camera has to clear the sensor of the Live View image. This takes time.

HTH

*By fast I mean when you push the shutter button, the camera takes a picture virtually instantaneously and is then ready to take another picture. AFAIK, entry level SLRs can take ~3 pictures per second in continuous mode.

bubbaray
03-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I have a Canon small P&S, The SD1200. DD#1 has the SD1400. Both are very fast. Not as fast as our DSLR (Canon), but fast enough. Small and purse/pocket sized. Come in fun colors. :thumbsup: