PDA

View Full Version : How to handle this situation? Neighbors

swrc00
03-06-2011, 12:34 PM
My next door neighbor is nothing short of a hot mess. We live in a very nice neighborhood, but let's just say the cops are no strangers to their house. The cops have been their for domestic issues and drugs. The drug issues are because of the oldest son who is 18. The domestic issues are from my neighbor and her husband.
My neighbor has a son who is 2 months younger than DS. They are both 2. I don't like the idea of DS playing with the son. I have had the two of them play at our house and it was a disaster.
I just don't want DS to be around this environment. How to I handle the neighbor's constant requests for playdates?

ha98ed14
03-06-2011, 01:04 PM
"DS is having a hard time sharing at this stage. Perhaps when they are older."

"You know, I'm swamped this week and next. I will let you know when I am freer."

"DS is having a hard time in unfamiliar environments, so right now we are trying to keep him in his own space with familiar people and a consistent routine. Perhaps when he is older. I just don't see him being ready until he is much more verbal."

Even if they are lies and your DS is a perfect child, she can't really argue with it. Or she shouldn't.

ewpmsw
03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
"We really can't."

Uno-Mom
03-06-2011, 07:06 PM
This sucks and I hate to say it but ... if you're going to be neighbors for a while and your kids grow up next door ... I think you got to be somewhat honest or it will get worse and worse.

I mean, they've got to know that the neighbors are aware of their problems. That is, if the cops arrived and everything.

Do you have a neighborhood park where the boys could meet up for short playdates on neutral ground?