PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy for the beach (10 month old)?

AnimalBabe
03-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi! I am already planning our summer vacation to a local beach. It will be our first time with our little guy and I want to make sure to buy the necessities. Do you all have recommendations for what to bring for a 10-12 month old (including sun hats, what type of sunscreen, any water/sun shoes, bathing suits--I've seen some one piece full body ones online that look interesting, or anything else)? We will bring our pack n play, clothes, food (not sure what he'll be eating exactly by then), etc. Thanks!

Oh, and we've never traveled with him more than a few hrs in the car. Any recommendations on how to ensure it won't be a horrible ride? It will take us about 5-6 hours to get there in the car. He doesn't seem to love his carseat anymore but he does still seem able to nap in it if it's early enough.

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2011, 01:43 PM
If you have a Costco membership, they might have some good sun hats. I own one of those full body sun/ water suits from One Step Ahead and I really liked it. A long sleeved rash guard and trunks from somewhere like Lands End would be fine too. You just don't have to worry about anything riding up if it's all one piece. I think a life jacket (we own one from LL Bean) might give you a little bit of peace of mind but not necessary. I've seen people bring little inflatable baby pools and they seem really handy so the little one can splash around but you don't have to worry about the surf. Target has good water shoes (Speedo brand). CA Baby sunscreen is a good one- it works well and the ingredients are safe.

Be prepared for a lot of sand eating. :)

Is he still in an infant carseat or have you moved on to a convertible? If you are still using an infant style one you might have luck switching to a rear facing convertible as some babies prefer being in them.

Odds are the long ride will put him to sleep. :) Our kids were awesome in the car- we always brought lots of toys and snacks.

Beth

ahrimie
03-07-2011, 02:01 AM
If you plan on going in the water, I'd get an infant life jacket too. For sunscreen, I like California Baby but I hear Badger is great too. I applied that first but then used Coppertone's spray for reapplying. If the beach doesn't offer them, I think big umbrellas are nice so you guys can be in the shade.

logan's mom
03-18-2011, 09:14 AM
We took DS last year when he was 11 months old. We had him in a swimsuit and a rash guard (I thought one-pieces would be to hard if you had to change a diaper.) We also got him a hat-I would recommend one with a strap. He had sunglasses (the ones that have the wrap around soft band) but he didn't need them with the hat. We didn't have watersocks even though he was already walking. I was afraid he would stumble in them more than they would help.

He played with shovels and buckets for forever! We also had a small (maybe 2ft diameter) blow up pool that we filled with water for him to sit in near our beach chairs. We had a large umbrella for some shade (otherwise we would have only been on the beach for a very short time) I also had an "all weather" blanket that I put down for us to sit and play on.

This year I am thinking about buying one of these: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534648&cmSource=Search

I will be 35 weeks pregnant when we go this year and I think we might both need the shade.

Also, we took our babygate and a couple cabinet locks (to lock cleaning supplies under sink) to have at the beach house.

We didn't use a lifejacket on the beach but had one for the house since their was a dock and so DS could go on a boat ride with his dad.

DS mostly ate whatever we were eating. He really likes the squeezable applesauce so I would freeze them and take them to the beach. By the time he wanted one, it was nice and cold but defrosted. I also bought him some of the Dole fruit chiller popsicles to eat for a treat.

lizzywednesday
03-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I bought a cabana tent from LL Bean last year and it worked out really well. It's this one: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58396?from=SR&feat=sr

In addition to that, I got Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby sunscreen STICKS for DD's face and Lavanila Baby Block for her arms & legs.

She wore 1-piece swimsuits with l/s rashguards and coordinating HA sunhats. I tried to get her used to sunglasses, but they were all too big.

I bought a pirate ship style pool float to prop her up in while we spent time on the beach (she was 4 mos old last July & not sitting up on her own yet) and asked for advice on what stroller to bring (large air tires ... I ended up borrowing a Quinny Buzz3 from my brother & SIL) so we could enjoy the sand and the boardwalks.

This year, I'm going to work on the sunglasses (she'll be in the convertible car seat so no more built in shade visor!) and she'll probably need a couple of new sun hats. I think I'll get the Lavanila baby block and Neutrogena stick again; they worked out really well. I'm torn about the full-body baby swimsuit when rashguards have worked really well for us ... and will probably have to get her some aquashoes.

I'll have to think about the inflatable pool ... she'd love that!

weech
03-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Okay, lots of products to recommend -

We have this beach tent: http://www.amazon.com/ABO-Gear-10115-Instent-Shelter/dp/B001GAPN78/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1300988904&sr=8-28

It's really great. Super easy to put up, has SPF protection, and there's room for me and DH to be in there with DS if we wanted.

We have this hat: http://www.amazon.com/Play-Solid-Brim-Sun-Protection/dp/B004FOBKXI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1300989003&sr=1-2

I don't like the flappy hats or whatever they're called, this one is much cuter to me with the same sun protection.

We put DS in long or short sleeved rash guards and swimming trunks that were on the longer side. When he was younger, we had a full body wet suit type thing from Coolibar.

Also have this: http://www.amazon.com/Swimways-Baby-Spring-Float-Canopy/dp/B00253T7R2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300989165&sr=1-1-catcorr

Really, really love it. DS loved the water from very early on, so this allowed us to take him in the pool with us without being scared that we'd drop him or something. He loved to kick around in it.

We use Neutrogena pure and free baby for sunscreen... I think that's what its called.

AnimalBabe
03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks everyone! So now I have even more questions...

1. seems some like rash guards (sorry but what are these exactly??) and some like full body suits..which is better for a baby aged 10-12 mos and are full body suits easy to get off to change the diaper?

2. Do you use swim diapers and what kind do you recommend? I saw some suits from One Step Ahead (see link below) that say they have the swim diaper built in..how does that work? What if your son poops..wouldn't that ruin the outfit?? I'm confused since I haven't seen these in person.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=537179&parentCategoryId=85179&categoryId=117679

Does anyone have this suit and do you like it?

3. I like this full piece suit (http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=537164&parentCategoryId=85179&categoryId=117679) but do the one piece suits get too hot for them?

*I have a tent already that pops up easily for the little guy, and plan to buy a mini blow up pool. I like the look of this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000L5PKVI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER.

AnimalBabe
03-28-2011, 05:54 PM
We have this hat: http://www.amazon.com/Play-Solid-Brim-Sun-Protection/dp/B004FOBKXI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1300989003&sr=1-2

Also have this: http://www.amazon.com/Swimways-Baby-Spring-Float-Canopy/dp/B00253T7R2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300989165&sr=1-1-catcorr

Thanks! I see the hat only comes in "toddler" size...do you think it was a good fit? How old was your baby when wearing it?

That floater looks adorable! I was looking at those, wondering if I should get one or just keep him in the baby pool for now.

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2011, 05:54 PM
1. The 1 piece ones usually have snaps up the pant legs so diaper changes are fine. Both options (2 piece vs 1 piece) are fine.

2. You wash the diaper. :) Reusable= save money. I usually buy disposable swim diapers though- pretty much every discount, drug and grocery store sell them. FYI- they do *not* hold pee! The pee will go right through a disposable swim diaper. Reusable ones are more absorbent, like a towel. Also, disposable swim diapers tear off on the sides. You just rip them apart to get them off vs pulling them down (a very messy proposition w/ poop!).

3. They are very breathable- no worries.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2011, 05:55 PM
The floater weech recommended is great. It's darned nice for grown ups to be able to get into real water, more than shin deep! So a safe way to take baby into the water is great. Always stay holding on to it- accidents can happen too fast!

Beth

AnimalBabe
03-28-2011, 06:13 PM
2. You wash the diaper. :) FYI- they do *not* hold pee! The pee will go right through a disposable swim diaper. Reusable ones are more absorbent, like a towel. Also, disposable swim diapers tear off on the sides. You just rip them apart to get them off vs pulling them down (a very messy proposition w/ poop!).

Ewww! Interesting, thanks. I think I like the one piece suit then because it looks like he'll get less sun.

So I should, in theory, buy 2 of whatever suit I choose in case he poops in the middle of the day right?

AnimalBabe
03-28-2011, 06:30 PM
He really likes the squeezable applesauce so I would freeze them and take them to the beach. By the time he wanted one, it was nice and cold but defrosted. I also bought him some of the Dole fruit chiller popsicles to eat for a treat.

Great idea! Thanks.

BayGirl2
03-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Ewww! Interesting, thanks. I think I like the one piece suit then because it looks like he'll get less sun.

So I should, in theory, buy 2 of whatever suit I choose in case he poops in the middle of the day right?

You wouldn't want a swim diaper to absorb liquid because that would become bulky and could pull him under. Whether you get a cloth or disposable swim diaper it won't absorb pee. The purpose of them is to hold in the poop to avoid contaminating the pool. So if they do poop, its unlikely you'd need to replace the bathing suit over the diaper. Just put the swim diaper on right before going into the water and then change back to a regular diaper right after.

Most kids won't poop in the water anyway. I've always used cloth swim diapers, they just seem cuter and more cost effective, and I prefer never to use disposables. But functionally there is no major difference.