PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a diaper bag

mackmama
03-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Any suggestions for a diaper bag that meets the following criteria?

1) can be carried on the shoulder via removable tote/shoulder straps
2) can also be worn cross-body via a removable messenger strap
3) lightweight when empty
4) large but not gigantic in size
5) lots of pockets for organization, preferably with at least one insulated pocket
6) can be washed easily
7) closes with a zipper for easy access, no messenger flaps

Thanks!

azazela
03-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Ju-Ju-Be BFF has all that plus a backpack option : http://www.shopjujube.com/Product.aspx?l=00070000000000000000&p=JJB01327 :love-retry:

TwoBees
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Maybe the Skip Hop Bento bag, or the Duo Deluxe?

mom2khj
03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
It fails on #7, but I love the Skip Hop Dash (it's a messenger with a flap). But the flap closes with magnets and is very easy to open/close.

I've looked at Ju-Ju-Be's, don't remember which models, but they were so heavy even when empty!

Another one I really liked was the Fleurville Sling tote and Lexi Tote. I just prefer the SH Dash because it feels like it's organized better for me.

TwoBees
03-07-2011, 10:20 AM
The LeSportSac Ryan Baby Bag might also work, although I don't think I has an insulated bottle compartment. You can buy insulated bottle holders for about $10 though.

todzwife
03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
I think the JJB BFF would work! And the new fabrics are MUCH lighter than the old ones...if you haven't tried a JJB in awhile, I suggest trying out a newer fabric because the difference is amazing!

mackmama
03-07-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a BFF - an older one so I think it's pretty heavy. I like the detachable backpack straps option, but i really want both the shorter tote straps and the longer messenger straps. The BFF only has the longer messenger option.

TwoBees
03-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Maybe the JJB BeHave?

Dream
03-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Are JJB bags really that heavy? I've been looking into the Stakabe or Be Right Back but all the talk about them being heavy is turning me off.

lhafer
03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
The Skip Hop Versa. http://www.skiphop.com/product/versa.html

1) can be carried on the shoulder via removable tote/shoulder straps
It has an adjustable single shoulder strap
2) can also be worn cross-body via a removable messenger strap
The shoulder strap can be lengthened enough to be worn cross-body style. I can easily adjust mine while wearing it to be over the shoulder or cross-body.
3) lightweight when empty
very lightweight. I find the Ju Ju Be bags quite heavy when empty
4) large but not gigantic in size
Fabulous for this. It holds a lot, but then can be unzipped and expands for an extra 20% more room if needed. I have had the Skip Hop Dash Deluxe and it was too small. I have the Skip Hop Studio Tote and find it a little too big, plus I don't like the non-adjustable straps.
5) lots of pockets for organization, preferably with at least one insulated pocket
It has 4 large interior pockets, plus the main pocket, a small zippered pocket on the front (perfect for a phone), 2 zippered pockets on the front, 2 open pockets on the front, and one large microbial zippered pocket on the back. It does not have a separate insulated pocket - but bottles have stayed cool/warm whenever I need them to.
6) can be washed easily
Not sure about washing - but it has the type of fabric that doesn't seem to stain/soil easily (at least in my experience). I have just wiped it down with a damp cloth and it's been fine. I have the black one.
7) closes with a zipper for easy access, no messenger flaps
It has a zipper closure.

This is what I keep in my Versa, and I have yet to need to expand it:
In the interior pockets:
3-4 size 3 diapers/Wipes case
Snack for my 5 year old (teddy grahams, gold fish, cheezits, cheerios, etc)
Bibs/burb cloths/bottle (Tommee Tippee bottles)
Disposable placemat, disposable changing pad (I took the changing pad it comes with out), dirty diaper baggies, extra ziplock bags
Purell/hand sanitizer

In the Main compartment:
extra outfit/socks
small make up bag (for me!)
Snack Traps of gold fish, cheerios, etc (usually have a couple in there)
Formula dispensor

Small zipper:
phone
gum
chapstick

Zippered outside compartments on front:
my wallet
feminine products (for me)

Open pockets on the front:
keys in one
bottle/sippy cup in the other

Large microbial pocket in the back:
this is where I keep all my coupon so I have them on me when shopping. I also carry a small coupon wallet that I keep in there.

And I still have quite a bit of room left over if needed. I can throw some more snacks/bottles of water, etc in there if need be without having to unzip it to expand it out.

mackmama
03-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the Versa idea! I like the sounds of it - I just don't love the pattern options. I wish it came in a chocolate brown or some different designs.

jenrub
03-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Storksak Allison. I have the grey one and loving it so far.

http://www.storksak.com/product.php?shopprodid=299

mackmama
03-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Storksak Allison. I have the grey one and loving it so far.

http://www.storksak.com/product.php?shopprodid=299

The Allison looks cute. Is it heavy when empty? The website doesn't show interior pics. Do you have any pics you could post? If not, are there a lot of pockets? TIA!

TwoBees
03-09-2011, 01:29 PM
The Allison looks cute. Is it heavy when empty? The website doesn't show interior pics. Do you have any pics you could post? If not, are there a lot of pockets? TIA!

I'm pretty sure BBB carries it, if you are near a store and want to take a look at it.

FWIW, I have a Versa and LOVE it (I posted a review with pics a few months ago). I thought about suggesting it, but it doesn't have a tote option. It does, however, have 2 insulated bottle pockets (I know a pp said it didn't). I *think* they are the two zipper pockets in front, at least those are the pockets that feel insualted to me, although the hang tag when I bought the bag did not specify in detail which ones were insulated.

lhafer
03-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm pretty sure BBB carries it, if you are near a store and want to take a look at it.

FWIW, I have a Versa and LOVE it (I posted a review with pics a few months ago). I thought about suggesting it, but it doesn't have a tote option. It does, however, have 2 insulated bottle pockets (I know a pp said it didn't). I *think* they are the two zipper pockets in front, at least those are the pockets that feel insualted to me, although the hang tag when I bought the bag did not specify in detail which ones were insulated.

You're right - the 2 front open pockets are the insulated pockets. I forgot they were insulated.

boilermakermom
03-10-2011, 12:29 AM
I have a columbia brand diaper bag that meets all the criteria. I got it at babies r us for $40. It comes in red, black and olive green. I love it!! It's not super super stylish like the skip hop, ju ju be, etc.

It was EVERYTHING I wanted in a diaper bag, including a decent price. I have washed it about 7-9 times and it looks great! It can hold a ton if you need it to. I usually just keep a few things in it..diaper, wipes, spare outfit, snack, pretzels, wallet and mobile phone. Super light!

jenrub
03-16-2011, 07:22 PM

It is pretty light since it's made out of nylon. My sister has a Nest Elliott and I loved how it was made but it's made out of leather so it was already pretty heavy even when empty. With that in mind, I searched for something like hers but lighter and I found the Alison. The interior has are 2 side pockets, 2 bigger pockets in front with another pocket with velcro behind both pockets, 3 smaller pockets in the back with another zippered pocket behind. It comes with a zippered pouch you can attach and take out to/from inside the bag, an insulated bottle holder, and a changing mat. The bottom of the bag has storage where you can place the changing mat and a travel wipes case. The exterior has 2 side pockets and the storage/pocket in front with the flap buckle has a pocket inside which I use as a cellphone holder. I will try to post pics as soon as I can.

mackmama
03-16-2011, 07:29 PM
It is pretty light since it's made out of nylon. My sister has a Nest Elliott and I loved how it was made but it's made out of leather so it was already pretty heavy even when empty. With that in mind, I searched for something like hers but lighter and I found the Alison. The interior has are 2 side pockets, 2 bigger pockets in front with another pocket with velcro behind both pockets, 3 smaller pockets in the back with another zippered pocket behind. It comes with a zippered pouch you can attach and take out to/from inside the bag, an insulated bottle holder, and a changing mat. The bottom of the bag has storage where you can place the changing mat and a travel wipes case. The exterior has 2 side pockets and the storage/pocket in front with the flap buckle has a pocket inside which I use as a cellphone holder. I will try to post pics as soon as I can.

Oh great info- thanks! Sounds like a ton of pockets. Thanks so much for detailing the bag!

ahrimie
03-17-2011, 05:25 PM
This doesn't have insulated pockets but the regular version of this bag is really light. I just saw this on piperlime the other day: http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=54244&vid=1&pid=845484&scid=845484002