PDA

View Full Version : Milkshare-anyone BTDT from the donor end?

golightly1118
03-06-2011, 11:07 PM
DD is almost a year old, and I've been exclusively pumping the whole time. I've just started to wean and transition her over to cow's milk, which is bittersweet-I'm proud of myself for giving her my milk all this time, but I'm ready to move on. However, I have a TON of milk in my deep freeze from when she was two months old-I was so afraid of drying up due to an unsupportive LC that I froze way too much, and I've always had a crazy oversupply. The milk seems to still be good-I thawed out one of the oldest bags a few days ago to test it, and it didn't have a funky/rancid smell. I know there's no way she'll be able to drink all of it before it goes bad, so I've been considering donating most, if not all of it. However, I'm not sure how to go about it. Is it Ok to post that I'd like to be reimbursed for the freezer bags? Are transportation costs covered by the recipient? I hate to just throw out the milk, but at the same time I don't want it to be a huge headache to donate it.

doberbrat
03-06-2011, 11:27 PM
yes, its reasonable to be reimbursed for bags. I never had to drive too far to meet a recipient so I never asked to be reimbursed for gas etc. but, if its important to you, just post that in your 'ad' so to speak.

daisymommy
03-07-2011, 01:44 AM
A breastmilk bank will pay for your shipping, dry ice, packaging, etc.
Google "breastmilk bank"

Or, the new big thing is "Eats on Feets"--commuity breastmilk sharing
http://www.eatsonfeets.org/

sunshine873
03-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Definitely look into it & request to be reimbursed for any expenses. That said, the milk from when she was 2 mo might not actually be good anymore. I remember hearing that you should only freeze it for 6 months tops. But check with the banks, etc...see what they say.

lil_acorn
03-07-2011, 08:57 AM
I donated my milk through MILKSHARE.com (thisis not a millk bank). There are tons of women there in need of breastmilk for their little ones. I wound up specifically requesting that the recipient had to be local to the area. I did not want to have to deal with dry ice/shipment etc. I was not reimbursed nor did I expect to be. I had 100 oz that had to go becuase we learned my son was allergic to eggs and milk. I provided a copy of my latest blood work (just happened to have had a physical) showing I was in good health.

GL!