PDA

View Full Version : Make your own Stroller Liner?

blue
03-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi . Has anyone ever made a liner for their stroller/strollers? I have not used a sewing machine in years, but I was thinking of trying to make a liner for my BJCMicro.

If anyone one has patterns, sites, or BTDT I would appreciate it. Thanks!

liamsmom
03-06-2011, 11:59 PM
It's funny, I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I really don't have the time, but it seems like a simple project--a good one for beginners like myself.

I think Blondflava posted some pics of her own DIY liners. I'd do a search.

lhafer
03-07-2011, 12:03 AM
I am thinking of doing this with my Triumph. I have never sewn, and have a machine and plan to start learning asap. My question is - what do you put for the padding inside to make it washable? I mean a material that won't bunch, come apart, get lumpy, etc inside the liner after washing it?

tmahanes
03-07-2011, 12:50 AM
I made a new one for my Indigo.

I took the one one there off and traced around it on the back side of my fabric. I then cut out two pieces at the same time using those lines plus about a 1/2 so you have room to sew. Then cut a double layer of quilt batting to the same size as the first two pieces. Pin it all together with the right sides of the fabric touching inside. So you had double layer of batting, fabric wrong side up, and 2nd layer of fabric with right side up. Sew almost all the way around leaving enough room to turn inside out. Turn inside out. Fold unsewn edges in and finish the seam. I then took the original pad and placed it over top and traced the harness slots on the new liner. I then used the button program on the machine and treated the harness slots like big botton holes. It took me maybe an hour or so after I learned how to do the button holes on the machine. And I don't not sew much at all.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

meggswife
03-07-2011, 01:02 AM
NAK
I've made lots, they're super easy. Ally gave good directions. If you don't have a liner to trace, just measure your stroller seat.

You can make your liner reversible, (pretty on both sides), or just one-sided. I did one sided and used waterproof jacket material for the back to protect from leaks.

If you have a Baby Jogger, (I used to), you can accommodate the pull handle by making a giant button hole. I added a snap in the middle to keep the liner from gaping. You could also use a button or velcro.

I love making liners. They're a great way to jazz up and personalize your stroller. :)

adj0913
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Do any of you sell liners or canopies?

meggswife
03-07-2011, 08:34 PM
I haven't. I've only made them for friends. I love to sew and I make all sorts of things for babies and their mamas, but I just do it for fun. (My husband keeps getting on me about selling them, but who has the time?) :)

blue
03-07-2011, 09:49 PM
I think Blondflava posted some pics of her own DIY liners. I'd do a search. Thanks I will search for the pics. I am a very visual person, so pic would really help me.

My question is - what do you put for the padding inside to make it washable? I mean a material that won't bunch, come apart, get lumpy, etc inside the liner after washing it?
:yeahthat: I am wondering about this to.

Thanks Ally and meggswife for some step by step directions...I am slow with getting projects started :innocent:, I like to research far in advance. So it might be a while till I get started on the liner. I need to dust of the used sewing machine, and see if I can figure out how to work it ;).

I anyone has anything more to add, that would great to. Thanks

tmahanes
03-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I am thinking of doing this with my Triumph. I have never sewn, and have a machine and plan to start learning asap. My question is - what do you put for the padding inside to make it washable? I mean a material that won't bunch, come apart, get lumpy, etc inside the liner after washing it?

I used quilt batting similar to this http://www.google.com/m/products/detail?gl=us&client=ms-android-verizon&q=quilt+batting&hl=en&bl=/m?hl%3Den%26gl%3Dus%26client%3Dms-android-verizon%26source%3Dandroid-browser-type%26q%3Dquilt%2Bbatting&source=search&channel=products&cid=4799694684863249896&ptab=c&ei=P451TfDLINPllge3vt2OAQ&ved=0CCAQ8wIwBA# and use two layers of it. I also pinned it with the fabric so that when I sewed the two pieces of fabric the stitch also caught the batting so it wouldn't shift when washed.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

blondflava
03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Jumping in... Indeed, I made a couple, they're fun to make (I hate buttonholes though!). I got the fiberfill for quilts (it's washable) and after tracing the shape of the seat (a rectangle, simply), I put the 2 cotton fabric pieces right sides together and put the fiberfill layer on top, pinned them together and left about 4-5 inches open at the bottom for turning. There are good easy directions here:
http://floatingworld.typepad.com/floating_world_views/2008/08/stroller-liner-tutorial.html

ETA: attached is a picture of the dimensions to mark to customize the size :)

golightly1118
03-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I've made one for my Triumph using the Floating World tutorial linked in PP, and am planning on making one for my BJCM in a few weeks when it gets warm enough to remove the Bundle Me for the spring. I just used cotton quilt batting for the padding, and it worked out fine.

blue
03-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks tmahanes and golightly1118 for saying what you use for the filler of the liner. Thanks blondflava for the link to directions with pictures. :)