PDA

View Full Version : Snorkeling for kids?

american_mama
03-07-2011, 12:26 AM
What our people's experiences with snorkeling for kids? What makes for good equipment and how hard is it for chidlren?

We will be staying at two places in the Dominican Republic in June that are supposed to have snorkeling possibilities from the shore. One of the places is a small hotel without tons of amenties, so I think we'll need to have our own snorkels if we want to try it. None of us have ever snorkeled. Is it something that we can figure out on our own? Is it worth it for me to buy a kid-sized snorkel kit for my kids, aged 6 and 9? Sam's Club sells a kid kit for about $30 (mask, snorkel, fins), which was more expensive than I expected. Any idea what makes a good and bad set of snorkel equipment?

bubbaray
03-07-2011, 12:28 AM
My almost 7yo figured out snorkling last year (tried it at not quite age 5 in Maui too, but had better luck at age 6). We have a set from Costco or Walmart IIRC. Definitely get a kid-sized set.

Smillow
03-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Comfort/fit is the most important thing. Especially for a child - a too-big snorkel won't fit in their mouths, an ill fitting mask will flood or be very uncomfortable. I would probably skip the fins and just have them wear water shoes. A sports store or even Walmart should have options.

Melbel
03-07-2011, 12:33 AM
At ages 5 and 7, DS and DD1 were able to snorkle in the Cayman Islands with us as part of our shore excursion on our cruise. It may have helped that they are both strong swimmers (year round swim team). We have the kids' sets from Costco that worked well.

StantonHyde
03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
You can have the child lay on a boogie board with his/her head over the edge and dip their face in. They may not get the breathing thing till around 6, but at least they can look in the water.

geochick
03-07-2011, 10:59 PM
We got our sets online (can't remember where...I googled). Anyway, the thing that really made it successful was the snorkel vests I found in kid sizes. Both my 4yo and 7yos did really well with this in Mexico last fall. We practiced in the pool several times before we went on vacation.

american_mama
03-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Is this about the same as the set that Costco sells?
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=172485

We don't have a Costco locally to buy what they have, although I may be able to go with my parents sometime if I am visitng then. But if the Sams Club and Costco sets are equivalent, I don't need to bother.