View Full Version : Help me choose an umbrella stroller

mjs64
03-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Here are the criteria:

--flat or almost flat recline
--super light
--easy fold
--good sun shade

I'm not as concerned with basket size, push, or console. Will use on paved sidewalks and airports only. Looking now at Triumph and Uppa G-luxe. Plan to start using it at 3 mo. Thoughts?

Jelly Bean
03-07-2011, 09:46 AM
The G-luxe 2011 is much better for a 3 month old since it has the super cushy seat and deeper recline than a Triumph. I didn't feel comfortable putting my DD in my Quest until she was over 6 months, and has always been big for her age.

poohbear
03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Hmmm... Triumph and Quest are probably not the best bets for 3 months. If you want a Mac, look at the Ryder or Techno. I don't know enough about the G-Luxe - the website says it's suitable from 3 months, but Maclaren says the Triumph/Quest is suitable from 3 months as well, so I don't know (I looked at the G-Luxe in the store and don't remember the recline being significantly deeper than the Quest/Triumph, but I didn't actually measure it - I just remember that it didn't seem to be full)...

I think for a 3 month old, I'd still want the option of a near full recline... Some people on the boards started using triumph/quests at 3 months though...
I think some of the Cybexes also have full reclines...

If you go with the G-Luxe, be sure to go with a 2011, the 2010s had a weird fabric IMO...

roseyloxs
03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
superlight and full recline don't usually go together. How light were you hoping for?

The G-luxe is technically suitable for 3 month olds. Their deepest recline is 120 degrees. Here is a stock photo. This is the lightest I think you will find at 11 lbs and they do have a decent canopy for an umbrella stroller.

http://www.uppababy.com/products/strollers/GLUXE2011/image_2_color_1_shade.jpg

You could also consider the bumbleride flite. Its 13 lbs and accepts both a carrycot and a car seat. Has a deep recline but I am not sure if its any deeper then the 120 degrees of the g-luxe.

http://www.poshbaby.com/images/prod_photos/flite%20seagrass%20profile%20recline_01.jpg

ahrimie
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I have the G Luxe 2011 and not sure I would put a 3 month old in it. The "120 degree recline" doesn't seem flat enough for my comfort. The G Luxe is also only 11 lbs. In stroller world, I think that's really really light. I've only had Bugaboos and the Bee at 18-20 lbs was "light" for the longest time. Maybe some other mamas can chime in on some other lightweight strollers but with flatter reclines.

Multimama
03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Do you have a limited budget? I think the recline on my Britax Blink is really deep. In a pinch, I would feel comfortable putting a 3 month old in it. But it is not that light for an umbrella at 16.5 lbs.

I love the idea of the Flite with a carrycot.