PDA

View Full Version : Poll- post bath wet hair

elliput
03-07-2011, 09:43 AM
After an interesting exchange with DH last night, I am wondering about opinions on this hot button topic...

Would you put your child to bed with wet hair?

Melaine
03-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Maybe. In the summer, without hesitation. In the winter, yes, with half-wet-half-dry hair if they aren't at all sniffley....which is kind of rare.

ETA: I voted yes, I don't really think it's a problem. I go to bed with wet hair fairly often myself.

egoldber
03-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Like the PP, it depends. I try to time bath/showers so that their hair is at least mostly dry. But they do often go to bed with slightly damp hair.

wellyes
03-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Why not? As long as the child is warm enough and you don't mind messy morning hair.

JBaxter
03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
We have short hair here but towel dry and run a comb through it is all I have ever done

artvandalay
03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
In summer, I would put boys to bed with damp hair. In winter, we towel dry really well so it's not wet, but boy's hair dries fast. When DD gets older and has longer hair we will dry it before bed in winter. I know I get cold if my hair is damp in the winter, but my hair is long.

pinkmomagain
03-07-2011, 09:55 AM
All the time. I mean, I towel dry her hair as best I can, and I also try to put her to bed in braids so that her hair doesn't tangle.

sewarsh
03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Is there a reason this is a "hot topic". i cant even imagine blow drying my DD hair. she's gone to bed with wet hair her whole life and never complained....

Jenn850
03-07-2011, 10:00 AM
I personally have a really tough time sleeping if my hair is even damp, so I figure my little ones may feel the same way and we blow dry. I just assumed that everyone couldn't sleep with wet hair... interesting that its personal.

Twoboos
03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
I voted for pudding. :wink2:

It's a "depends" here. In winter we tend to blow dry. Wet hair = wet pillow = freezing in winter (and, wet pillow is gross IMO). Plus it takes so long for their hair to dry in winter. We usually "drip dry" in summer/when it's warmer.

Personally, I hate going to be with wet hair.

DietCokeLover
03-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I dry my dc's hair before they go to bed. I can't stand sleeping with wet hair so this is just what I am used to.

fedoragirl
03-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I get sinus infections super fast if I sleep with wet hair. I don't blow dry DD's hair but I will once it gets longer. Most likely, I'll just give baths in the morning so the hair can dry naturally. That's what my mom did when I was little.

HIU8
03-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Ditto. I never blow dry DD's hair before bed.

elliput
03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Is there a reason this is a "hot topic". i cant even imagine blow drying my DD hair. she's gone to bed with wet hair her whole life and never complained....

:thumbsup: This exactly my stance.

After 6 years of putting DD to bed with wet hair, DH comments on it and made it sound like I was putting by DD at risk of something horrible. He wasn't too pleased when I pointed out there was essentially no difference between letting her run around the house with wet hair and putting her to bed with wet hair.

Also, her sensory issues absolutely preclude using a blow drier on her hair, as she would have a huge meltdown. And while her hair does have natural curl, it is loose waves (not super tight ringlets) so it doesn't end up a huge mess in the morning.

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Usually the hair is pretty well air dried before bed time happens. But, no hesitation on wet hair to bed except for the way it might look in the morning!

Beth

nfowife
03-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I put DD to bed with wet hair all the time. Not dripping wet, usually, but definitely damp. She doesn't seem to care in the least. But her hair is curly so it always looks a bit crazy. My hair is straight and I've been a morning shower person for as long as I can remember so for me it isn't an issue, plus I blow dry :) .

gobadgers
03-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Never ever occurred to me not to. Going out in the cold with wet hair bothers me and I wouldn't send the kids out, but going to bed is just fine here.

ETA: I don't think blow-drying would work with DD. She won't dry her hands in the dryers in public bathrooms :)

WitMom
03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
It's something I've never given any thought to. If it's bedtime, and we didn't time bathtime "right", I'll send them to bed with wet hair without a second thought.

BabyMine
03-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I let my boys go to sleep with towel dried damp hair. I also sleep with damp hair and never had a problem.

arivecchi
03-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I personally have a really tough time sleeping if my hair is even damp, so I figure my little ones may feel the same way and we blow dry. I just assumed that everyone couldn't sleep with wet hair... interesting that its personal.:yeahthat:

We never go to bed with wet hair.

elephantmeg
03-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I go to bed with wet hair and so do my kids. My grandmother would have a cow about it when I was little and try to blow dry it, lol. My mom would just roll her eyes and go along with it.

missym
03-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I will blow dry the girls' hair after a bath/shower at bedtime if they want me to, but usually they don't. We sometimes end up with some interesting hair in the morning :wink2:, but otherwise they don't seem to care about sleeping with wet hair.

Pyrodjm
03-07-2011, 11:17 AM
No way, her hair would be a matted mess in the morning.

MamaMolly
03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
More often than not, Lula goes to bed with wet hair if she takes her bath at night. If there is a big event planned then I'll blow dry it. Dolly's hair dries in the blink of an eye.

JustMe
03-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, often as long as it is warm enough in the house. Not if it is on the cool side in the house for whatever reason. But then again banana pudding sounds really good right now.

ohsara430
03-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Voted pudding. I generally dry DDs hair but that's because I don't like sleeping with damp hair, I don't know that she cares. I also prefer how her hair is in the morning if it's dry at night before bed. But I don't think it's a "big deal" to put a kid to bed with wet hair, personal preference I think.

lizzywednesday
03-07-2011, 12:30 PM
No big deal to us.

I go to bed with wet hair myself (less often than I used to) and DD's hair is so fine that it dries fairly quickly anyway, so I'm just not stressing about it.

We have enough else to be paranoid about anyway.

wendibird22
03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Both girls go to bed with wet hair. Well, DD2 has very little hair so it dries super fast, but DD2s is down her back. She gets a bath, and then we put her hair up in one of those terry twisty towels while she brushes teeth and puts pj's on. Then we comb it through and do a few books. By the time she hops into bed it is usually just damp. She doesn't seem to mind.

Fairy
03-07-2011, 12:37 PM
No issues here. Don't see a problem. When it looks wack in the morning, I just wet it down slightly with my wet hand and comb, and it looks great.

boolady
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Yes, especially in warmer weather. When we get home, she's starving and we have dinner. If it's wintertime, I'll try and have her bathe right after dinner, then play a bit. If it's summertime, and her posse is outside playing, I let her go out and play, then bathe right before bed. I try to dry it with a towel, but she hates the hair dryer. It's just not worth the fight in our house.

edurnemk
03-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I just towel dry, so he goes to bed with damp hair.

My parents, especially my dad, make a huge deal about that, they claim he will catch a cold or something if he goes to bed with damp hair. But he's a boy, it dries fast, and his hair is a mess in the morning regardless of how wet or dry it is when he goes to bed.

I do go to bed with damp hair when I shower at night, DH stresses out about it but doesn't worry about DS's damp hair, I can't understand why.

LMPC
03-07-2011, 01:12 PM
In the dead of winter, we did not. I would blow dry it until it was pretty dry. The vent for the heat is right above her bed, and I didn't want her to be too cold. Now that things have warmed up a bit, we put her to bed with wet hair. But OMG the hair she wakes up with -- it's crazy hair!!!

BabbyO
03-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I said no...but DS' room is very cold, particularily in the winter. I'm sure we've let him go to be with damp hair in the summer.

daisymommy
03-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Depends upon how cold it is at night. During the winter I try to bathe the kids early, like right before dinner, so DD can walk around and let it dry before bed. But if it's really cold, I blow dry it. During the Summer, yes, I let her go to bed with wet hair.

ahrimie
03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
:yeahthat:

We never go to bed with wet hair.

Me too. I feel cold going to bed with damp/wet hair. We actually blow dry DD's hair--not like a blow out but we blast her hair to make it dry. She HATES towel drying and she starts screaming so for us, it's the only way to dry her hair.

pinay
03-07-2011, 03:56 PM
It's usually not a big deal for her to go to bed with wet hair, but if she's got the sniffles or it's cold I often will blow dry it so that she's warm when she goes to bed.

MommyAllison
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
In the winter, DH blow dries their hair - it's like their special thing with dad. In the summer, when it's super hot, definitely go to bed w/wet hair - it keeps you cooler a little longer on hot nights!

brittone2
03-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Voted pudding. I generally dry DDs hair but that's because I don't like sleeping with damp hair, I don't know that she cares. I also prefer how her hair is in the morning if it's dry at night before bed. But I don't think it's a "big deal" to put a kid to bed with wet hair, personal preference I think.

Dream
03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I voted no. I rarely bath DD late in the evening for her hair to be wet till bed time. I myself never wash my hair so late.

When I was in my home country I used to suffer from sinus, running nose and allergy like symptons and suffered for years before finally undergoing herbal easter medicine treatments for another 3-4 years to be completely cured. Once of the requirements was not to late baths meaning washing your hair late. So to this day I stay away.

AngelaS
03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm not supposed to? Well, crap. I suppose next someone will tell me I'm supposed to comb that wet hair before they climb in bed too.....

Tenasparkl
03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
I give a bath in the morning so we don't have to deal with wet hair for bed. When she was a baby it wasn't a big deal, but now she's got lots of long crazy hair that would be a huge mess after being slept on.

nupe
03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
My boys have thin hair and I don't think it is a big deal.

SoloMelody
03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Absolutely not. DD will not sleep in wet hair, she has a lot of curly hair. Wet hair = wet pillow = head cold all night = cold next morning. Thats how I am and thats how DD is.

veronica
03-07-2011, 08:29 PM
All the time. I mean, I towel dry her hair as best I can, and I also try to put her to bed in braids so that her hair doesn't tangle.

:yeahthat: we braid now so there aren't tangles in the morning.

JMS
03-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Slightly damp in the warmer months no big deal but not soaking wet in the winter. Plus we both enjoy our mommy-daughter time while I blow her hair out :love2:

lilycat88
03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
90% of the time not only is it wet, it's not even combed.
Not the hill I'm dying on.

spanannie
03-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Wet hair every night in our house. My daughter will only agree to a blow dry for special occasions.

bubbaray
03-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Every bath night, my girls go to bed with wet hair. It never dawned on me that it was problematic or wrong? :bag

niccig
03-08-2011, 01:51 AM
I put a towel on the pillow when I have wet hair. DS's hair usually dries before bedtime

lovebebes
03-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Never ever would I put a dd to bed with wet hair.