PDA

View Full Version : 3 year old bolting into the street and monkey harness?

hillview
03-07-2011, 09:59 AM
DS2 is 3.5 years old and yesterday BOLTED to the street 3 times. I nearly had a heart attack. I have gone over the rules and told him either hold hands or I will strap you into the stroller (at 44 lbs he is too large for me to carry if he is fighting me while I am holding DS1's hand). So we are going to London next week. I feel like I might need a monkey harness/leash thing. We've never used one but London is busy and I think the mere threat of it might "encourage" cooperation. We will also have a stroller.

So do you have a monkey harness suggestion for a 3/4 year old at 44 lbs AND do you have another suggestion in this situation?

infomama
03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
We have never used one but I wouldn't be opposed in your case. I would probably opt to keep him in the stroller (will he do that?) vs. wrangling him. Here is a resource for harnesses for heaver kids...http://www.childharness.ca/

TwoBees
03-07-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm opposed to harness in general, but in your case, for this trip, it sounds like a good idea. Good luck!

lhafer
03-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I used one for my DD for the same reason! She loved it, I loved it - it was a win win for us. She had a bit of freedom without feeling like she was required to hold my hand all the time, and I knew she was safe.

SummerBaby
03-07-2011, 10:29 AM
My older DD (now 6.5) was a darter, so I totally understand your situation. The monkey harness did not work for her at all. It's not very sturdy, and she was able to just shrug it off. She also would just either not walk in it, or would pull against it- picture a totally out of control untrained dog. I would make sure he will cooperate with it before you leave your stroller at home. I had to just keep my DD strapped into the stroller in a crowded, unsafe situation. She didn't like it, but at least she couldn't get out of it. Good luck!

hillview
03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
My older DD (now 6.5) was a darter, so I totally understand your situation. The monkey harness did not work for her at all. It's not very sturdy, and she was able to just shrug it off. She also would just either not walk in it, or would pull against it- picture a totally out of control untrained dog. I would make sure he will cooperate with it before you leave your stroller at home. I had to just keep my DD strapped into the stroller in a crowded, unsafe situation. She didn't like it, but at least she couldn't get out of it. Good luck!

Ok this is a good point. DS2 would TOTALLY pull me. I am for sure bringing the stroller and will likely just have to strap him in.
/hillary

elliput
03-07-2011, 10:34 AM
So do you have a monkey harness suggestion for a 3/4 year old at 44 lbs AND do you have another suggestion in this situation?

This was about the age and size I stopped using the harness with DD. If you haven't been using one up to this point, you need to start using it now in order for you and your DS to get the feel of it.

mommylamb
03-07-2011, 10:40 AM
We had one that we barely ever used when DS was younger (18 months-2 years), but he grew out of bolting and so we stopped using it. DS is 3.5 now, and it would be a tough thing at this point.

Have fun in London!!! I wish I could come.

longtallsally05
03-07-2011, 11:16 AM
I went through this when DD was that age. I used the stroller as an incentive. If DD stayed with me, she got to walk. If DD didn't stay with me, she would have to ride in the stroller. I used the harness in airports and times when I wouldn't always have a hand to keep her from bolting or the ability to run after her in case she did (eg. pregnancy). I would use the stroller the same way; your DS could wear the harness and walk as long as long as he cooperates. When your DS pulls against the harness or tries to run away, then it's stroller time. You might get some dirty looks for using a harness, but it beats having a squashed kid!

KDsMommy
03-07-2011, 01:12 PM
You've gotten some good recommendations. I just wanted to say that you're not alone, DS has been bolting from me a lot lately, a couple times into busy parking lots and it scares the CRAP out of me.

emily
03-07-2011, 01:17 PM

We have the same problem but this was us with the harness. Didnt work for us at all in the airport.

lowrioh
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
We have this one and I think it would be pretty hard to shrug off.
Our DD is a huge bolter and I make her wear it a lot. She wants to walk "all by myself" and doesn't mind the harness. I've gotten some looks from people but anyone who knows DD's personality totally gets why we need to use it.
http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Steps-Safety-Strap/dp/B00081L4YW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1299519676&sr=8-6

barkley1
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Why do ppl hate those harnessess so much? I'm totally thinking about getting one for DS (20 months) b/c he does NOT listen, no matter how stern or consistent w/ punishment we are.

HIU8
03-07-2011, 02:06 PM
DD was a bolter when she was younger. She is the same age as your DS. She is not a bolter now. I don't really like the harness BUT if I had to use it I would, esp on a trip.

Smillow
03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=barkley1;3064121]Why do ppl hate those harnessess so much? I'm totally thinking about getting one for DS (20 months) b/c he does NOT listen, no matter how stern or consistent w/ punishment we are.

I don't know why??
I have considered getting one for DS (he just turned 2 and is getting a lot better about listening). I would much rather see a kid in a harness than a dog in a stroller (and I've seen lots of dogs in strollers!)

barkley1
03-07-2011, 02:17 PM
(and I've seen lots of dogs in strollers!)

OMG, LOL. That, I have never seen.....

I understand some parents are lazy and don't make the effort to teach and/or discipline their children, but some parents try their best to no avail. For us, it would really be all about his safety, not our convenience.