View Full Version : DD wants to know...

Melaine
03-07-2011, 10:22 AM
"Why is Maria leaving the Abbey to take care of someone else's children?"

I answered, (with some trepidation), "because their mommy died"

"Why?"

"Well, sometimes people die"

"Are you going to die?"

"No, you don't have to worry about that" (Did I say the wrong thing there?)

"I think she shouldn't go. If their Mama died, then their DADDY should take care of them".

Twoboos
03-07-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't think you said the wrong thing. But the next time it comes up (and it will!), you could change to, "Everyone dies, but most people live to be really old so I'm not going to die for a long time."

We went through a LOT of death talks after my parents died. For months. This is our standard line, although it can be tricky. DDs were 3 & 5 when we were having these talks.

Good Luck!

Melaine
03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't think you said the wrong thing. But the next time it comes up (and it will!), you could change to, "Everyone dies, but most people live to be really old so I'm not going to die for a long time."

We went through a LOT of death talks after my parents died. For months. This is our standard line, although it can be tricky. DDs were 3 & 5 when we were having these talks.

Good Luck!

See, we've had the talk that everyone dies and usually when they get old....so I didn't realize when I said I wasn't going to die, that they might think I meant ever....just totally blindsided by this conversation!

This is what happens when Netflix lapses and we have to watch "real" movies.

Twoboos
03-07-2011, 10:34 AM
See, we've had the talk that everyone dies and usually when they get old....so I didn't realize when I said I wasn't going to die, that they might think I meant ever....just totally blindsided by this conversation!

This is what happens when Netflix lapses and we have to watch "real" movies.

Ohhhh, OK. I thought this was a first time thing. Then I think it was a one-off and you don't have to worry about it! If they bring it up again go back to "everyone gets old." You're OK.

The Sound of Music is so great, though! :) When DDs were younger we watched from the puppet show to the goodnight scene approximately 1,000 times.

lalasmama
03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
We tell La that most people die when they are an old, old grandma or grandpa. She had 2 grandma's die within months of each other 4 years ago. She asks me if I will die too, and I tell her I won't die until she's a mommy, and I'm an old, old grandma. I gotta get the "old old" grandma part in, because she already thinks I'm really old at 32 :)

edurnemk
03-07-2011, 01:20 PM
This reminds me of the conversations we've had with DS after he watched Bambi at my mom's house. "Where's Bambi's mom? what happened to her?" I didn't want to tell him the hunters killed her (he just turned 3) so I just said they took her away. "Is someone going to take you away, Mommy?" Of course I said, no, no one will ever take me away from you. But it comes up again every now and then.

ETA. I love that your DD thinks the Dad should be responsible for the kids :thumbsup:

katydid1971
03-07-2011, 05:39 PM
You should have heard my brother after seeing Mary Poppins. He really didn't get why their mommy wasn't taking care of the kids ;) He's all grown up and his DS is in daycare, reality changes one's view sometimes.

boolady
03-07-2011, 05:43 PM
OK, DD and I had this conversation yesterday, at least up to the "why did she die part." She's hung up on (1) why the mom died; and (2) why Liesl wanted Rolf to be her boyfriend. I never really got #2 either, so I didn't have a good answer to either one.

I love the Sound of Music, and I'm so glad she seemed to like it. Now if I could only get her to agree to watch The Happiest Millionaire with me...

katydid1971
03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
OK, DD and I had this conversation yesterday, at least up to the "why did she die part." She's hung up on (1) why the mom died; and (2) why Liesl wanted Rolf to be her boyfriend. I never really got #2 either, so I didn't have a good answer to either one.

I love the Sound of Music, and I'm so glad she seemed to like it. Now if I could only get her to agree to watch The Happiest Millionaire with me...
:rotflmao: Always wondered about Rolf too!!

boolady
03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
:rotflmao: Always wondered about Rolf too!!

He's such a punk...throwing pebbles at the windows, becoming rude to her when he got too big for his slightly too tight britches, becoming a stinky "bad soldier" as I tried to explain the Nazis to her. :ROTFLMAO:

nmosur
03-07-2011, 06:06 PM
This is always a difficult topic for me with DD. She always manages to stump me. Telling her that people die when they are old is usually countered with "is Great Grandma dying", sick people die is countered with "is Grandfather dying" and people die by accident is countered with "will you die in an accident". I have reached a point where I just change the topic. Thanks to the various princess books, death seems to be a part of DD daily reading diet.