That's a lot of stroller for $400.

Here's what I've figured out:
- great for AT
- great for older toddlers
- heavy as all get-out

What I'm wondering:
- how upright do the kids sit?
- anything else I should know?

Also considering that MBUD for $500. It is more versatile, right? Worth $100 extra?

TIA for any advice!

liamsmom
03-07-2011, 11:20 AM
GoldenPig has (or had) one and I believe she loved it. The pics might still be up if you do a search.

arivecchi
03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
PM'd ya a deal.

Pyrodjm
03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Wow, that is a really good deal. I'm searching for reviews now. Is it really heavy? Does it fit through doors/in regular trunks?

Mrs.Christie
03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
It is about as heavy as most AT doubles. The fold is nice, but I didn't find it all that great becasue of the weight. It is WIDE, will not fit through most doors. It is plush, nice canopies and all (the summit xc anyway) Really liked the handbrake feature. What I didn't like was the push. The wheels are too narrow IMO to give a nice cushy ride. Would be okay for totally smooth pavement, but I prefer wide wheels and a more springy suspension for an AT.

MrsMcGwire
03-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I just go one from Albeebaby and I love it! Even my 3 year loves it! He sits up higher than in the BJCMD because of the bigger tires and it's super easy to push. I'm not sure I'd use it for a car stroller, but it's great on rough sidewalks and a couple inches of snow.

arivecchi
03-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Go MB or go home.

:ROTFLMAO:

goldenpig
03-07-2011, 03:01 PM
The Summit 360 is the old version, the new version is called the Summit XC double and that's what I have. I forget what the improvements were from the 360 to the XC but I think they were significant. I'll try to look it up when I have a bit more time. The MBUD is the old version of the MB Duo which is the 2010 version with individual larger canopies.

I love the easy Baby Jogger fold of the XC and it has a hand brake which the Duo doesn't (that's the main reason I switched). The downside of the XC is it's wide, although I have been able to take it everywhere including malls, airports, elevators etc without a problem. The Duo is narrower, but downside of the MB Duo is it's very bulky folded and heavy so it's not a good car stroller. I have been travelling several times with the XC double and there is no way I could travel with the Duo. If you don't need a jogging double you may want to look at the BJCMD. Didn't you buy a Joovy Ergo Caboose back when I did too? You could sell that and apply it towards a new stroller. I actually had all four at the same time :bag but I eventually sold all the others and now just have the XC as my only double because it's the best all-around stroller and perfect for my needs (easy-folding all-terrain double with a hand brake and swivel wheels that can go in the car and travel as well and has good storage). I sold the three other doubles on CL for the same price or slightly more than I paid, so all the stroller craziness was worth it in the end. I love my XC double!

Amazon has Royal blue and sand XC doubles for $549 with free ship/free returns (although it looks like it's through a 3rd party seller called S&D Kids):
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Jogger-Summit-Double-Stroller/dp/B00318CMKY
Not quite as great a deal as I got through diapers.com (it was $380 I think) but I think I'd still go with the newer version if you can swing it.

Here's my thread with pics on the XC double vs. Duo vs. BJCMD:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=379868
I think there are also a couple pics of the Joovy Ergo in there for comparison too.

goldenpig
03-07-2011, 08:24 PM
That's a lot of stroller for $400.

Here's what I've figured out:
- great for AT
- great for older toddlers
- heavy as all get-out

What I'm wondering:
- how upright do the kids sit?
- anything else I should know?

Also considering that MBUD for $500. It is more versatile, right? Worth $100 extra?

TIA for any advice!

What do you mean by more versatile? I think the XC double is actually more versatile than the Duo. The MB Duo has thicker tires and slightly better push, and is narrower and has a bigger basket underneath and an adjustable handlebar. Also mine came with a carrycot for newborns (but alas DS was too old to use it). But the XC double is much easier to fold and easier to carry using the handles you fold it with, slightly lighter and way less bulky folded (so more versatile in the sense that you can still use it as a car stroller), and has a hand brake, easier one-handed seat recline and seat back pockets which are really convenient to store stuff. It also bugged me that when you recline and then raise the seat up on the Duo, all the fabric bunches up in front of the seat. They both have good reclines and good headroom and sit pretty upright. If you need a narrow AT double or a stroller for the snow and you don't need a hand brake or to put it in the car very often, go with the Duo. It's a great stroller, just too bulky for me. If you need a car/travel stroller but not AT/jogger capabilities, BJCMD is lighter, narrower and more compact than the XC double. I just couldn't justify keeping more than one double so the XC is the one I kept because it met all my needs. It's not for everyone (I think someone bought one recently and didn't like it), but for me it's been great and the width hasn't been an issue for me and I've taken it all over the place.

Here's some reviews/clips worth watching:
MB Duo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S44TmXZvA14
http://celebritybabies.people.com/2010/11/01/review-mountain-buggy-duo-stroller/

XC (not a review but this video shows some of the features):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD4o3SaB2Hs
http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2010/08/baby-jogger-summit-xc-review.html

I found the thread that talks about improvements on the XC vs. the 360:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=390144&highlight=summit+360
http://stroller411.com/blog/21/baby-jogger-summit-xc-2010/
"Baby Jogger is discontinuing its Summit 360 stroller and releasing an enhanced version of that, called the Baby Jogger Summit XC (http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-631/baby-jogger-summit-xc/Detail) for January 2010. The Summit XC is an all-terrain / jogging stroller designed to be versatile for active parents who want to spend a good bit of time outdoors. It has larger 16″ rear wheels and a front 12″ wheel that can swivel or lock for jogging.
Improvements on the 2010 Baby Jogger Summit XC include:
1. Much improved sun canopy that also provides 1 inch more headroom
2. A handbrake for slowing the stroller
3. Redesigned 16″ rear wheels to help with true rolling/tracking.
The color selection of Royal Blue, Sand, or Red remain the same as the 2009 Summit 360.
The 2010 model is availabe as a Summit XC single (http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-631/baby-jogger-summit-xc/Detail) or Summit XC double (http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-632/baby-jogger-summit-xc/Detail)."

I think the increased headroom and hand brake would be worth upgrading to the XC. DD has plenty of headroom on the XC so I think it'll last a long time.
And here's the comparison pictures I took of all the strollers:
http://picasaweb.google.com/goldenpig123/DoubleStrollerSmackdown#
Hope this helps!

wellyes
03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
goldenpig - I literally had my credit card in my hand to get an MB when I hit refresh and WOW. You do make a convincing case for the Summit. Thank you thank you thank you for the photos, I *do* need to take it in the car sometimes and I don't think the MB would fit in my Malibu's trunk.

Then again, I think you're the one who convinced me to buy that Joovy Ergo Caboose :rotflmao:What a monster that thing is!

Much to ponder. I've read so darn much about stroller that it's all kind of blurring, heh.

Thanks EVERYONE for the advice!

arivecchi
03-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I found that both my BJCCD and my Duo were hard to lift into the trunk. They both occupied the whole trunk of my SUV. I am not sure how the Summit differs from the BJCCD. The Duo does have a longer fold but the BJCCD had a bulkier fold. Pick your poison. LOL.

In any event, I had LOTS of quality issues with BJ:

1) broken handlebar
2) three sets of tire replacements
3) replacement frame
4) replacement stroller
5) replacement brakes

So while they are feature-filled and have a funky fold, the BJ quality is really not great. I have never had as many issues with a stroller as I did with the BJ. Good doubles are $$$, so I want something that is top-notch in terms of quality.

The ultimate test is that I let DH use the Duo unsupervised while I could not let him use the BJCCD unsupervised. It's one thing if you pay for an Indigo and it breaks, quite another if you plunk down $400 and the thing gives you more trouble than an Indigo.....

And that is not even getting into the difference in push and handling.....

I would get a Bob Duallie over the Summit if you need a more compact fold.

poohbear
03-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Hmmm....
Well, I'm a little late to the party, but here's my 2 cents:
If you want 16inch rear wheels, go to REI, pick up a BOB Duallie for $483. You will be able to sell it when you're done for what you paid.

If you don't need the 16 inch rear wheels, get the MBUD - we can help find you one for $500 or less I'm sure...

I feel like the BJ summit is not a great do-it-all stroller. And unless you need the handbrake, I'd just go with the BOB...
Like arivecchi, I had quite a few quality issues with baby jogger. Their CS is awesome and they made it right, but it was a headache. On the other hand, my BOB is rock solid and have never had a single issue with it...

wellyes
03-07-2011, 10:40 PM
1) broken handlebar
2) three sets of tire replacements
3) replacement frame
4) replacement stroller
5) replacement brakes

Oooooh. That is bad.
Drat.

I know the answer is probably a MBUD or Bob *plus* a car double. But honestly, the only great car double I can think of --- compact, easy fold, fits through doors, but still big enough for 3+ year olds --- is the BJCMD. BJ again!

Stroller shopping is not easy.

goldenpig
03-07-2011, 11:17 PM
goldenpig - I literally had my credit card in my hand to get an MB when I hit refresh and WOW. You do make a convincing case for the Summit. Thank you thank you thank you for the photos, I *do* need to take it in the car sometimes and I don't think the MB would fit in my Malibu's trunk.

Then again, I think you're the one who convinced me to buy that Joovy Ergo Caboose :rotflmao:What a monster that thing is!

:bag OK sorry about the Joovy! But back then I didn't know anything about doubles and DH insisted we needed a tandem because he thought SBS strollers were too wide. He's since converted to the SBS camp and really likes our Summit. If you think the Ergo is a monster, the Duo is an absolute beast folded.

I found that both my BJCCD and my Duo were hard to lift into the trunk. They both occupied the whole trunk of my SUV. I am not sure how the Summit differs from the BJCCD. The Duo does have a longer fold but the BJCCD had a bulkier fold. Pick your poison. LOL.

I disagree, my Summit had a less bulky fold--both length and thickness-- than the Duo and definitely took up less room in the trunk. Check out my pics for the comparison of them folded side by side and in the trunk of my cars. It's also a couple pounds lighter, and easier to carry with the handles.

It sounds like A and PB had a lot of quality issues with their BJ but I haven't had any with both of my Baby Joggers. I did have a dented handlebar with my Duo and had a replacement handlebar sent out from Mountain Buggy. I think the Summit XC is probably sturdier than the BJCCD (or maybe my DH isn't as rough as Arivecchi's! :hysterical:)

If you can spring for two doubles, definitely consider an AT and the BJCMD. It sounds like you may want to check out the Duallie. The only thing is I've heard it has less headroom than the Duo and BJ Summit XC. I haven't had a Bob (and I'd also love to check out the Indie twin) but I think I'm done buying doubles for now (at least until the Baby Jogger Pod comes out :D).

goldenpig
03-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Wellyes,
You haven't really told us what your needs and intended uses are for this stroller. Maybe that would help us narrow it down. Just because I love my XC double and A loves her Duo doesn't mean that either of them is the right stroller for your needs.

Kaylee31
03-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Oooooh. That is bad.
Drat.

I know the answer is probably a MBUD or Bob *plus* a car double. But honestly, the only great car double I can think of --- compact, easy fold, fits through doors, but still big enough for 3+ year olds --- is the BJCMD. BJ again!

Stroller shopping is not easy.

Or a BJ Micro double, which is $200 cheaper. Doesn't have the recline or all the features of the Mini, but the same frame & fold for a lot less. http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger-city-micro-double-stroller-in-kiwi.html
FWIW. I've never had any quality issues w/my BJCM, so I don't think all BJ's are bad! I got the Summit XC single from Diapers and experimented w/it inside the house. Seemed very solid, but a little plastick-y. Ended up returning it even though I liked it, didn't love it. The Summit is definitely something I would buy, if I got a great deal, but not something I would ever pay full price for.
I agree a MB or BOB would be a better value in the long run.

wellyes
03-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Wellyes,
You haven't really told us what your needs and intended uses are for this stroller. Maybe that would help us narrow it down. Just because I love my XC double and A loves her Duo doesn't mean that either of them is the right stroller for your needs.

Fair enough. DD will be 3 this month and DS is 8 months. I rarely used strollers with just DD, but wrangling 2 is obviously a lot harder! Stroller needs:
- walks to neighborhood playgrounds over somewhat bumpy terrain. My old uppababy handled it well, but regular strollers (zippy, quest) cannot handle the terrain. Usually about 1 mile per day.
- get the kids from the parking lot to my gym, the zoo, errands, etc.

I am feeling more and more like there is no one stroller that can do it all.
Good news is that my budget is not limited. But as a BBBer I only buy good deals or super duper high quality!

goldenpig
03-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Fair enough. DD will be 3 this month and DS is 8 months. I rarely used strollers with just DD, but wrangling 2 is obviously a lot harder! Stroller needs:
- walks to neighborhood playgrounds over somewhat bumpy terrain. My old uppababy handled it well, but regular strollers (zippy, quest) cannot handle the terrain. Usually about 1 mile per day.

Good news is that my budget is not limited. But as a BBBer I only buy good deals or super duper high quality!

I still think the Summit XC double would work as a single stroller for all your needs as long as you don't need a super narrow/lightweight stroller (the BJCMD and Duo are 29 inches compared to 32.5 inches for the XCD; my own measured weights for the strollers were BJCMD 27.2 lb, Summit XC double 39.8 lb, Duo 42 lb). If you can wait, the Mountain Buggy Duet is coming out in May--it has 8 inch air-filled tires (no suspension though, which is something you might want for the bumpy walks) and is only 26 inches wide! It's like a double Swift. That might be a good stroller if you only want one since it's going to be more compact than the Duo, although it may not last as long if your daughter is big/tall since it's narrower. Otherwise if you can buy two, then maybe get a Duo or Duallie for the neighborhood walks and zoo and a BJCMD (or umbrella + Ergo or single with hitchhiker board) for the car/errands. I think the Bob will have a better resale than the Duo since more people are familiar with it, although the Duo has some nicer features like the metal footwell.

arivecchi
03-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Good news is that my budget is not limited. But as a BBBer I only buy good deals or super duper high quality! I would get an AT SBS double for outdoors and a toddler board for your single. That can be your car double if you don't want to spring for a car double as well. I currently use my MB Swift and Maclaren Ryder with the Valco Hitch Hiker as my car doubles.

FYI, the Bob and MB doubles do not list to one side if you have a large weight difference b/w kids. That was really annoying with my old double.