PDA

View Full Version : recommend your birth control

siri
03-07-2011, 11:04 AM
I would love to hear what you ladies are using for birth control. I have not used anything in years. I was on the pill and BC patch years ago. It took me a while to conceive after going off the pill and I really don't want to go through fertility issues again with a second (but I am NO where close to thinking of TTC in the next couple of years.) I also had some weight gain with the pill last time I was on it, and really don't want that again.

Anyone really love their BCP and have not experienced many side effects? I have never really considered an IUD before either.
TIA!

daisymommy
03-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Natural Family Planning!

I have used nearly every single type of birth control known to man, with the exception of a diaphragm, and hated the side effects from all of them, or the messiness and discomfort. Everything hormone based made me a crazy hormonal wreck OR my libido went away and never came back. As soon as I was off it, libido came back like I was 21 again ;)

So after DS #1 was born, we never used anything again excpet for NFP. All of our kids are exactly 3.5 years apart, so I'd say it works really well ;)

I use the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060881909/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0060937645&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=001JXPZW7ZYNK6QR1VXE

And Cycle Beads:
http://www.cyclebeads.com/

edurnemk
03-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Natural Family Planning!

I have used nearly every single type of birth control known to man, with the exception of a diaphragm, and hated the side effects from all of them, or the messiness and discomfort. Everything hormone based made me a crazy hormonal wreck OR my libido went away and never came back. As soon as I was off it, libido came back like I was 21 again ;)

:yeahthat:

I use the lady-comp (http://www.lady-comp.com/en), it uses basal temperature and is more effective then the BCP if used correctly, it requires some discipline (taking your temp religiously every morning) and on your fertile days you can either abstain (the safest option) or use some other protection.

AnnieW625
03-07-2011, 03:28 PM
My favorite and the one I used the most was Ortho Novum 1-35/28. I started using it when I was 21 so I didn't notice much weight gain at all. A year later I made the dumb move to try Ortho Tri Cyclen, I gained 10 lbs in a month, and a total of 15lbs in 2 months and went back to Ortho Novum. I never lost all of that weight. I have been birth control free with the exception of the mini pill for almost 3 yrs. and I feel fine, however I will say that when I was on ortho novum after I stopped breast feeding DD1 at four months I think I lost weight faster than I have with DD2. Of course everyone has different bodies and hormones are different for everyone, but I did not have any adverse reactions to them.

Before DH and I decided that he would get a vasectomy I was really considering the hormone free Mirena IUD.

I wouldn't do NFP though unless you are in a serious relationship. Just my .02 though.

trales
03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I love my IUD, I have the paraguard.

niccig
03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
The pill. I don't have any side affects and take a generic version, and with my insurance it's $5 a month. I looked at other options and they all cost way more and not sure if I would tolerate as well. So I'm sticking with this until DH has a V.

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Super happy with my copper IUD. No hormones to possibly cause weight gain or mood issues (I don't need anything else that can contribute there ;)). Lasts 10 years and I don't have to think about it except for checking the strings from time to time. I kick myself for not getting one sooner after ds1 was born.

Beth

JBaxter
03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
i never did well on the pill. The only thing DH and I used was condoms. DH didnt mind and we never had any issues w/ breakage.

Im guessing your asking "incase" your new friend turns into more than a "friend" ... In this day and age I'd stick with condoms for a while.

katydid1971
03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: my mirena!!! I had it inserted at 8 weeks pp with DD. I haven't nursed DD in a year and still haven't seen AF :yay: I don't have to remember anything and worry all day if I did or didn't last night before I went to bed like I did when I was on the pill. When this one comes out I am putting another right back in. I can't say enough wonderful things about it!!!!:bighand:

boolady
03-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Im guessing your asking "incase" your new friend turns into more than a "friend" ... In this day and age I'd stick with condoms for a while.

I agree. I'm glad things are going well, but I'd stick with condoms until it was more clear where the whole thing was headed.

nicepersonfl
03-07-2011, 07:08 PM
in my case - abstinence...not my choice ;)