PDA

View Full Version : Can you hear h/b at 6 wks?

ExcitedMamma
03-07-2011, 01:48 PM
I just found at that I'm pregnant again and called to make an appt with a different ob this morning and they scheduled my first appt for when I will be 6 wks 5 days pregnant. Can you find the heartbeat this early? I think with my son our first appt was around 8 wks. I'm nervous that it's too early and I'll be anxious until I can hear it.

marymoo86
03-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Does your OB do an internal at that visit? Mine didn't until 9 weeks. I had a viability US @ 6 wks with my RE and you could see the HB. I don't think you can hear it until much later with the doppler.

barkley1
03-07-2011, 01:55 PM
I think you can w/ the ultrasound, but no way w/ a doppler. I heard it at 10 weeks w/ a home doppler, but from what I read that was pretty early.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
With ds I had my first ob appt at 6 weeks. They did transvaginal ultrasound and I was able to see and hear the heartbeat.

DebbieJ
03-07-2011, 03:22 PM
You cannot hear the HB that early with the doppler or with regular ultrasound. You'd need a transvaginal ultrasound as others have mentioned, and that is not a routine "procedure" for a normal pregnancy.

Dream
03-07-2011, 03:29 PM
DD1 was a planned pregnancy and I saw my obgyn around the 5th week and they schedule me for a regular US around 6th week, her heart beat was 109, this was not a varginal US. Afterwards I remember I was so worried that it was so low and the pregnancy might not be viable. But yes, I heard her heart beat as early as 6 weeks with a regular US.

janine
03-07-2011, 04:11 PM
you can find the hb as early as 5 weeks. We found ours at 5wk 6 days. I did not find out the heartbeats per minute though--wish I had!

Like others pointed out, you will see it via internal u/s and won't hear it until around 9-10wks I believe.

BabbyO
03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
We could see the HB with the internal ultrasound they did at 7 & 9 weeks with #1 & #2. I'm guessing you'd be able to see it at 6 wks, too.

brittone2
03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
6 weeks from LMP or from ovulation? IIRC the heart starts beating around 6-6.5 weeks so you might be able to see on transvag US but it may even be a tiny bit early for that (since even a day or two late implantation, etc. could impact it at this stage).

I had an early US with DS1 in an RE's care and saw HB at 7w2d or so. They didn't check for a HB before that specifically because too early can be tough on an infertility patient, so they usually waited til at least 7 weeks if I remember right. With DD at 5.5 weeks could only see a gestational sac (poor quality old US machine so not the best for imaging), and at 6.5 could see a HB. WIth DS2 my first US was around 9 weeks and we could see a hb.

Def. too early to hear with a doppler externally (at least, in most cases).

mom2MandC
03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
We could not see or hear the heartbeat at 6 weeks (transvag u/s), but everything was great at 8 weeks. If I ever have another baby, I do not think I would go before 8 weeks because all I did was worry that something was wrong for 2 weeks!

bostonsmama
03-07-2011, 05:14 PM
I had a very traumatic u/s done in an emergency room by a highly experienced sonographer on new machines at 5w5days. They told me I had an empty sac and to prepare to miscarry at home. Four days later we saw a healthy heartbeat with a baby who tracked perfectly to dates from every u/s after (all 12). She's batting her arms and cooing right now. U/s is not perfect. Don't expect to see much or hear much, even w/ transvaginal u/s (both of which I had)...some women see a lot, some not much, but it really just takes time to figure out how baby is growing.

lowrioh
03-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't count on seeing a heartbeat that early. My OB's office does transvaginals at your first appointment to confirm you are pregnant. Since I had previous miscarriages they brought me in at 6 weeks for DD1 and DD2. At one of them I saw a heartbeat at the other I didn't.
ETA: This is especially true if you aren't exactly sure when conception was.

llama8
03-07-2011, 08:58 PM
I saw my DD's heartbeat at 6 weeks pregnant on the transvaginal ultrasound machine.

My good friend did not see/hear a heartbeat at 6 weeks and it was a miscarriage/empty sac found a week later when there was still no heartbeat.

I was told by OB that usually a heartbeat can be found, but not to panic if there is not one because dates can be off too.

ExcitedMamma
03-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks so much everyone! Fingers crossed that I will be one of the lucky ones who can see or hear the hb!!

Kitten007
03-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Congrats on the newest little one!!!

Pinky
04-22-2011, 10:48 PM
We were able to see the HB with a transvaginal U/S at 6 weeks, but I think that early on it is hit or miss. Good luck!

veronica
04-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Congratulationss! Is there a reason your physician would even do an u/s at that appointment? The reason I ask is because, my first appt. was mainly to give me information, make sure I was on prenatal vitamins and do a pap and internal check.

I was 7 w 2d. While there, I did mention how tired I was and that I thought it was twins. My physician listened to me, although he thought I was nuts, but did end up sending me to their other office with a machine, where the tech immediately found twins!

daisymommy
04-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Holy smokes, now there's some mama-intuition!

veronica
04-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Holy smokes, now there's some mama-intuition!

the Dr. called the next night and told me to play the lottery!

My mom is a twin plus my symptoms were so far off from my first two pregnancies that I just knew something was up! I told the whole staff as well as I was leaving for the other office and they just chuckled. Imagine their suprise when I called the next day and told them I was right!