PDA

View Full Version : Preschool issue... am I overreacting? (sorry, long)

edurnemk
03-07-2011, 02:37 PM
DS started Montessori preschool, 2 yo program in August. Supposedly, his classroom should be made up of kids born in 2008 only. And it was like that the first semester. There's a room for younger kids (they call it "baby room").

DS is the oldest in his class, he loves it, he's been doing great. He's proud of being the big boy and doing big boy things (using the potty, getting dressed by himself, etc). At his mid-year evaluation, he scored at the top on practically everything, and I was told he loved being an example for his classmates and helping out in the classroom. In January, they admitted a few more kids into his classroom, and the reasons this is a problem are:

a) When I toured the preschool last year, I asked about class size and they said max 20 kids, but usually they left them at 18. Now there's 21 kids in his classroom (5 new kids). Another mom, talked to the director about this already, and she was promised there would be no more changes. Also DS's room is one of the smaller ones in the school, so physical space is getting a bit tight.

b) 4 of those new kids are waaaay younger than the rest, all born in 2009 (one is from June 2009). So the youngest are 18 months younger than DS, and when I saw them together last week I saw a HUGE difference in size, development, etc. I just don't see how they can be in the same class room and do the same kind of activities. It's Montessori, so they can ll go at their own pace. But they also have psycomotricity class every day (think gymboree or gym type thing) and the 20 month old baby is just mastering his walking, I don't see how he can run and jump with the others.
This worries me because I feel they need a lot more attention than the older kids, and so the older ones are getting less attention than before. Also DS and his friends, all 3 or almost 3, play pretty rough, they could easily knock these babies/toddlers over or something. Next year DS will be in the 3-6 yo room, but IMO the developmental and physical differences between a 3 yo and a 5 yo are not as dramatic as with a 1 yo (I see this with his cousins, he can play really well with his 5-6 yo cousins, but not so much with the 1 yo).

c) The changes in his classroom have been really affecting DS. Since late January, he started having a ton of regressions. First the non-stop potty accidents, and he actually said he wanted to go back to diapers (he's been PT since June, and previously would've been offended if you suggested a diaper for him), then he started talking like a baby, it drive me nuts! He's very verbal, in 2 languages, and suddenly he only wants to babble. He's also been asking me to carry him like a baby (instead of walking) and he wants to ride his stroller everywhere. He also asked me to give him his baby toys back, and he's been asking for his paci, which we took away last summer. Finally he said he's no longer the "teacher's helper". Last Friday his teacher said, he had disobeyed her, and then refused to go sit on the "thinking chair". This is a first, he's very obedient at school.
Then last week I realized how much younger the new kids are, and it hit me: I think he's jealous of the attention they're getting.
He loves talking about school, he talks about his friends all day (the 16 original kids in his room), but he refuses to talk about the new ones. If I mention one of them, his expression changes dramatically, and he says "I don't play with him/her" "Why?" "He /she's not my friend". Then he just pouts and won't say anything else.
During the weekend I asked him if he was sad or upset because the new kids are getting a lot of attention, or because they're babies. And he said he was, and he doesn't like them. I hadn't realized how much the change in the classroom dynamic was affecting him even though he's not a particularly sensitive child, he adapts easily, he's very social.

I talked to my aunt, who's a retired preschool teacher, and she also thinks it's wrong to have this young toddlers in the same room. She also said that if this is affecting DS so much, she can't even imagine what will happen when we have another DC. Yikes!

Anyway, I feel a little cheated by the preschool I guess, since this is not what was described to us when we enrolled. I think that the director just saw $$$, and instead of telling the moms that there was no space for their kids in the baby room and that they could go on the wait list, they just thought they could stick them in the 2-3 yo room and so be it. FWIW these younger kids will not move up with the rest of the class next fall, because where we live you have to respect cut off dates starting at 3 yo.

I have an appointment with DS's teachers on Thursday, to talk about this and how it's affecting him and to find a solution. DH is also not thrilled by the situation. He's not as stressed out as me though, since we're switching DS to another school next fall (also Montessori), but he does want me to talk to the current school about the situation.

So I've you've read this far (I'm sorry it got so long), WWYD? Do you think I'm overreacting by being upset with all this? How can I help DS readjust and feel better? And what would you say to the teachers at the meeting? I know it's unrealistic to expect them to move the younger kids to another room, but I do want to express my discomfort with the situation.

maestramommy
03-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Wow, I would've been disappointed too. No advice, but I guess I'm surprised that there are toddlers there. We've looked at Montessori schools before, and kids have to be PT'd, completely and not needing any assistance.

Jacksmommy2b
03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
On my phone, but a short answer, no you are not overreacting. I switched schools over this issue exactly.

Eta: he is thriving in an age appropriate class now. IMO, and the main reason I moved him is that in a class that large it becomes a more daycare than educational enviornment. You are paying for something he is no loger getting and it is effecting him very much. I would be pretty po"ed. And for the record my lid is an awesome big brother and has no jealousy or regression issues so I think it apples and oranges. :)

AnnieW625
03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
I would be upset too and I would definitely voice those concerns.

DD1 has had a few periods of regressions, and for the past two years she has been the oldest at her daycare. She had speech delay so she didn't learn to talk well until she was almost 3, but there would be days where her only speech would be baby talk when we knew she could speak like a normal three year old (not huge sentences, but not baby talk). She potty trained at 3, but has had moments where she has had accidents too; a few right after DD2 came, and then again at the end of the year. She is in pull up at night, but not during the day and she mentions that she can wake up from her nap at daycare to pee so we know that it's just sleeping at long periods and not true regression in regards to needing a pull up.

Good luck and let us know about the outcome.

TwinFoxes
03-07-2011, 03:04 PM
No advice, but I don't think you're overreacting at all. I think you'd be in the right to be annoyed even if DS wasn't showing regression. But since he is, I think you have every right to be upset, and to expect the school to address the situation.

sste
03-07-2011, 03:20 PM
How many teachers are there? Is this even within your state law ratios?

JMHO, there are many fine montessoris out there. There are also those who employ the montessori name and philosophy to justify over-sized classrooms and inappropriate jumbling of ages. My understanding was that classic montessori groups 3-6 y/o - - they are at least in the same ballpark whereas a 20 month old and a 3 year old are practically different species.

Canna
03-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I would also be very upset about this. Both about class size and about the addition of children so dramatically younger than the class is supposed to be. I have a DD who turned 3 y.o. in January (thus is too young for 3 y.o. classes here and would be in a 2s class) and she is verbal, PTed, very much a preschooler type. I would be concerned about her being in a class with young babies like you are describing. They should absolutely be in the baby room. Particularly if that is how they described the class to you (all kids born in 2008) when you enrolled.

edurnemk
03-07-2011, 03:31 PM

There are 2 teachers and one assistant. Before Jan, there were 17 kids. Now there's 21, so 1 adult per 7 kids. I know it's common for Montessori groups to have 20-22 kids, but I just think the mixture of ages in this case is wrong. Plus we were told 20 was the limit.

My understanding was that classic montessori groups 3-6 y/o - - they are at least in the same ballpark whereas a 20 month old and a 3 year old are practically different species.

This is correct, classic Montessori has 3-6 yo groups. Some preschools have a 2 yo program before that. And this is our preschool setup. Supposedly they have the 2-3 yo in one room, and then the 3-6 yo in another. They also have a "baby room" which is not really Montessori, more like a daycare thing, for 1-2 yo.

And I also think the difference between a 20 month old and a 3 yo and enormous: one is almost still a baby, and the other is a kid. But 3-6 yo are all kids (preschoolers).

Thanks everyone, for validating my concerns. I'll let you know how the meeting goes on Thursday.

JBaxter
03-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Our state law says 6-1 so if you only have 3 teachers with 21 kids it could be an issue. You may want to check

Canna
03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I also think that the addition of so many new and young kids must have really disrupted the routine and atmosphere in the class. Usually a lot of the early days in preschool are spent teaching the kids the routine, rules, and behavior expectations. Adding in a large number of babies who are unfamiliar with the routines and who can't reasonably be held to the same expectation as a three year-old has likely made a big difference in what it's like to be in the class. The kids there since August should have everything down pat by now - but the new ones are in a different place from many perspectives. Even adding 5 new 3 year-olds might have been a challenge to the classroom environment.

edurnemk
03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I would also be very upset about this. Both about class size and about the addition of children so dramatically younger than the class is supposed to be. I have a DD who turned 3 y.o. in January (thus is too young for 3 y.o. classes here and would be in a 2s class) and she is verbal, PTed, very much a preschooler type. I would be concerned about her being in a class with young babies like you are describing. They should absolutely be in the baby room. Particularly if that is how they described the class to you (all kids born in 2008) when you enrolled.

DS is the same age exactly, he knows how to count to 15 in 2 languages, he knows all the letters in the alphabet (name and sound), heck he's been asking me "mom, how do you spell [fill in the blank]? He's know all the shapes and colors for over a year, again in 2 languages... and now I feel he'll be held back somehow, or bored. Instead of being proud of being big kid, and independent, he's copying the behaviors he sees in the younger kids.

It just bothers me in so many levels.

ahrimie
03-07-2011, 04:19 PM

JMHO, there are many fine montessoris out there. There are also those who employ the montessori name and philosophy to justify over-sized classrooms and inappropriate jumbling of ages. My understanding was that classic montessori groups 3-6 y/o - - they are at least in the same ballpark whereas a 20 month old and a 3 year old are practically different species.

I actually pulled my DD out of a Montessori program because of a similar issue. Her school had 2 classrooms: 18 months - 3 years; 3-6 years. I think it IS traditional but in practice, I do not think all teachers are well equipped enough to handle the big age difference.

I think the regression in your child though is normal. DD went through that when the younger kids first came in too but she's gotten over it as she started to become friends with the older kids in the class.

In my DD's class a younger 2 year old had a biting problem and I felt like the school didn't know how to handle it well. I wouldn't get accident reports or no phone calls when bleeding was involved. Furthermore, I couldn't even get an appointment to talk to the director about it. So it was the last straw for me.

carolinamama
03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
There are 2 teachers and one assistant. Before Jan, there were 17 kids. Now there's 21, so 1 adult per 7 kids. I know it's common for Montessori groups to have 20-22 kids, but I just think the mixture of ages in this case is wrong. Plus we were told 20 was the limit.

WHAT? How can they have 3 adults with 21 kids? That's alot of kids at that age in one space. My biggest concern would mainly be the sheer number, not necessarily the mixed ages. I think mixed age groups can be done but it depends how the school is handling it. My DSs go to a Montessori preschool. DS1 is in the typical Children's house (3-6) classroom. The school combined the baby room and toddler room this past year (and added to the Children's House rooms) so DS2, at almost 2.5 does have a few babies in his class. He is on the upper end agewise but there are 2 kids slightly older than he is. They have up to 10 kids and 2-3 teachers in the room depending on how many kids are there at the time. I was told all this when we enrolled him, although we were already very happy with the program since DS1 has been there for several years.

I would listen to your mommy gut about it. If you have a bad feeling, then investigate and go from there. We did move DS1 when he was younger because we just didn't feel that his school was a good fit for him or our family. It is okay to switch schools and it is okay to wait things out and see what happens too.