PDA

View Full Version : I think my 1 yr old swallowed a beach ball.

YouAreTheFocus
03-07-2011, 04:24 PM
My 17 mo old was sick for about 2 wks, and didn't eat much during that time. When he finally felt better, OMG, his appetite came back x10! It's been going on for 1-2 wks now. He used to not really care about eating one way or the other, now he whines at the fridge & pantry and when served shoves giant handfuls of food in his mouth. He'll eat breakfast at home and then go to daycare and eat another breakfast 30 min later!

We have also noticed (it's hard to miss!) that his tummy has exploded outward. His torso has always been pretty flat, now his tum is like a beach ball. It seems like it literally happened overnight. Is this cause for concern? Is it a result or him suddenly eating us out of house & home? Or do they normally develop tummies around this age?

BabbyO
03-07-2011, 04:36 PM
We notice this whenever DS gets sick (he's 20 mo now). The next couple of weeks we can't keep enough food around.

Last Friday DS was watching DH make dinner and said (in a very "I'm starving and need to be fed now voice"), "Yummy dinner Hot, pleeeeease!"

To translate, "give me the yummy, hot dinner (now) pleeeease!"

The night before he ate as much for dinner as I did. He was sick for a week or so before that.

DS tends to get more and more of the beach ball tummy, until he poops...then its flatter again. This seemed to start around 1 yr.

I never worry because his eating seems to even out in a couple weeks.

Smillow
03-07-2011, 04:40 PM
He is probably gearing up for a growth spurt.

Jen841
03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Happens with both my kids... eatting machine, belly, grow, flat belly again... then it all happens again. My 7yr old had a hallow leg right now. I give it 2 wks and I will be buying new uniform pants for him.

I love adjustable pants for kids!

LMPC
03-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Yep this always happens right before a growth spurt...although after dinner, DD will pull up her shirt, pat her belly, and declare "I am FULL!" It's like she's already an 80 yo man! (minus unbuttoning the pants!)

kbud
03-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Yep, probably a growth spurt. My oldest in particular would grow out first in the tummy and then spurt up and the tummy would be gone. It's not as profound in dd#2 but still happens.