PDA

View Full Version : OT: Curves for Women franchise?

sidmand
03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
I know someone recently asked if anyone owned a franchise and I don't think anyone did but I could be remembering wrong...

I'm thinking about a Curves franchise (an already existing one that's fairly successful and well-run from what I can tell...and I'm also a current member) and was just wondering if anyone had any BTDT experience.

I've done some research online. I have talked to some people. I've read a lot of information (and horror stories) online and I think I know some of what I'm in for. Although I'm guessing it's a lot like being a first-time parent...you can think you know what you're in for, but you can never know until you actually do it.

Any advice, any type of franchise, any exercise business, anything would be much appreciated.

sste
03-07-2011, 05:42 PM
I once worked with a career coach who mentioned off-hand that he thinks franchises tend to make money for the parent company not the individual franchisees. In general, he was not a fan.

He was a much bigger plan of business plans that required little overhead (e.g., selling espresso from a cart in a public place or at a hospital or airport or somesuch).

AnnieW625
03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I had a friend who bought a knock off one (can't remember the name of it) in the bay area and it didn't make her much money, in fact they had to file for bankruptcy in 2004 or 2005.

JBaxter
03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
2 of those failed here in the past year.

Gracemom
03-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I know the former owner of the one I used to go to. It's a lot of work and you have to have a pretty high number of members to make it work for you financially. I think it also depends on how much competition is in your area. We have several here to choose from, as well as other gyms where you get more amenities for your membership fee. You might have more success if there aren't many in your area already. She loved it but it just wasn't as profitable as she needed it to be.

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Those really seem to have faded a lot in popularity here. I'd probably look for something else- maybe there is another fitness craze looming.

Beth

kellij
03-07-2011, 06:35 PM
I once worked with a career coach who mentioned off-hand that he thinks franchises tend to make money for the parent company not the individual franchisees. In general, he was not a fan.

He was a much bigger plan of business plans that required little overhead (e.g., selling espresso from a cart in a public place or at a hospital or airport or somesuch).

I wonder if he would say that to one of the McDonald's franchise owners! :)

MrsMcGwire
03-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Those really seem to have faded a lot in popularity here. I'd probably look for something else- maybe there is another fitness craze looming.

Beth

Zumba seems to be doing well, hehe!

sidmand
03-07-2011, 06:52 PM
A little more information. Many of the ones in our area have closed in the past year but I also think the market was incredibly oversaturated. You could find a Curves in every town (which was kind of the point but created a great deal of direct competition in addition to the competition of every other health club out there). In fact, two I belonged to closed (this would be the third if it closes) so there is not longer much direct competition from other Curves and all the members who wanted to stay with Curves have moved to this one as it's the only game in town and membership has grown when many businesses around here (not just Curves) were folding.

Personally, I myself joined a different club (not Curves) and ended up coming back to Curves. I know the drawbacks: no childcare, no showers, not open on Sunday, and expensive, especially compared to other clubs around. But I think it offers something that the others don't. At least I found that for myself. I did very well with Curves and the woman I'm thinking of going into this with did as well (in fact, she talked me into joining).

I'm not looking to make a ton of money and especially since we'll be splitting any profits (as well as the work, though) I know there won't be a ton of money anyway. I really do believe in Curves though. It's not for everyone but it definitely worked for me.

I've worked with this woman before and we work well together. The things she's good at I'm not good at and vice versa!

This Curves has a pretty strong member base and employees onhand who will likely stay. Everything seems to be pretty much in place. Like I said, I realize I'm not going to get rich this way...but I'd like not to lose money. I have another business that I'm realizing is likely on its way out and my kids are getting to be school age and I'll have more time on my hands. I figure this'll keep me from spending my time on online shopping(!) and actually might make a little rather than spend a little--IYKWIM?

I'm not so interested in any franchise--it would be this one or none. I believe in the idea behind this one but I also just removed our MOMS Club from the MOMS Club International because of all the bureaucracy and red tape and I'm sure there will be some involved in a franchise. I know I'll only hear complaints and never hear anything good and I know being in a service industry is very very tough. All those things are definitely things I need to think long and hard about. I've read many many horror stories, mainly from past owners of Curves, and I *think* I know much of what I'd be getting myself in for. I'm not sure how many of those horror stories were from people looking to make a quick buck though or from people who went in with very different expectations than they were met with. I know last year was a tough year for many businesses and many people but some say if you were able to come through 2010 intact you can survive almost anything.

And FWIW, Curves has a new Curves with Zumba fitness circuit that sounds really intriguing! :)

clc053103
03-07-2011, 07:12 PM
3 curves around me have closed, as had the one in the beach town where we spend our summers.

TwinFoxes
03-07-2011, 09:54 PM
I really think that the Curves "fad" has passed. I don't know the business aspect of it at all, but it certainly doesn't seem like a popular way to work out anymore. It seems to have peaked about 6 years ago. I think a lot of people liked the concept, but the company had just too many issues, some of which you named. If you go through with it, I hope you make it a rousing success! :)

Gracemom
03-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Sounds like you've done your homework! I did love Curves for many reasons, but I need more options, such as more demanding classes, childcare, and a pool for water aerobics. So I joined the YMCA. I see myself going back to Curves once the kids are older. I loved the community of mostly older women there. I'm curious about the Zumba addition - is it just new music and new moves on the recovery stations? Best of luck to you if you decide to go for it!

Our MOMS club disbanded too and we are just a Meetup group now. It's SO much easier. I used to be the newsletter chair, and it was a lot of work for not much benefit.

sunshine873
03-08-2011, 09:02 AM
One more question. Why are they selling it? Are they concerned about lack of profits, etc? Is it too much work for the current owners? Just something to ask about.