PDA

View Full Version : Comforter vs quilt

boilermakermom
03-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I have always had a comforter on my bed, thus I have no experience sleeping with a quilt. I am in the process of redoing DD's room and am picking out bedding. She currently has her baby bedding from PBK. She uses the quilt in her toddler bed, but I often wonder if it is warm enough.

Can anyone weigh in? Are quilts warm enough? She I look for a bedding set with a comforter instead of a quilt?

dec756
03-07-2011, 09:21 PM
i would go with a down comforter just because its so cozy. a quilt seems too stiff for me and also its more for show imo. if real feathers bother her i would go with a down alternative. i use one all year long.

lhafer
03-07-2011, 09:25 PM
For my daughter's bed, I have a comforter set on the bottom (where she sleeps), and a quilt set on the top (where she plays) - bunk beds. They are coordinating.

On my bed I have a down comforter (LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!). I just bought new bedding and bought a duvet cover for the comforter, and a quilt that coordinates and goes under the comforter (above the sheet). I was worried it would be too hot - but it's just right!!

I like comforters usually. I don't know. I know a lot of people use comforters in the winter and quilts in the summer.

newg
03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I've had a quilt on my bed since jr. high/high school. i think how warm a quilt is depends on how thick the batting is in the middle.
We have a quilt on our bed now, and in the winter we usually have a down throw on top....summer/spring/fall the quilt is plenty.

cmo
03-07-2011, 09:41 PM
My kiddos all have quilts on their beds. In the winter, we add a blanket underneath, and remove it when we switch the AC on for good in early summer. In my own room, we have a comforter for winter, and switch to a quilt in the summer (the comforter is just too hot, even though it's a relatively light silk one).

dec756
03-07-2011, 11:11 PM
comforters are also sold by warmth so you mgiht want to look into that i would check bb&b

MMMommy
03-08-2011, 03:41 AM
I cannot rave enough about the Simply Shabby Chic Cozy Blanket from Target. It is light, yet super warm. You can just wrap yourself in it. DH even talks about how remarkably cozy and warm it is. It comes in pale/pastel shades since it is from the Simply Shabby Chic line. It comes in aqua, pink, angel food (white) and pale green. Target.com carries them, and they are available in the Target stores. These have replaced all our down comforters with duvet covers and our ultra heavy Korean mink blankets (not real mink).

essnce629
03-08-2011, 03:58 AM
I've always had a comforter on my bed for as long as I can remember and so has DS1. I've always thought that quilts were more for show and I would put it on top of the comforter.

Gracemom
03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I have a lightweight quilt that I've used for 15 years and it's starting to fall apart. Living in the south, I have hardly ever used my down comforter (except for a few weeks this winter!). I'm trying to find a good light quilt like the one I had, but all the quilts I find seem to be stiff, and more for show.

vonfirmath
03-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Quilts are warm enough -- but for kids I prefer comforters because they are easier to "make the bed"/look made up.

bostonsmama
03-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I would rely on your DD to tell you if she's cold or hot while sleeping. Much of her comfort will depend on your climate and what temp you keep the house. We are in a southern climate, so we do a down comforter in winters (letting the house go down to 63-65 deg at night) and do a light coverlet (matlesse) in the summer b/c we let the house be 78-80 deg. You can always add a throw on top of or under a cute quilt for her big-girl bedding.

daniele_ut
03-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Right now, each bed has a quilt with a very warm down comforter folded at the foot of the bed. We pull the comforter up at night when it's cold. Our bedroom is MUCH cooler than the kids' rooms, though, so they hardly use theirs.